swap my 66RFE for a G56....cost?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
If im reading things right it look's like the G56 is an option in the chassis cab. So I assume ( I know, assuming is bad) that the G56 would fit in my truck as well without any major issues.

2016, 3500, SRW, 6.4 HEMI, 4x4, long bed, 66RFE.

anyone ever do this? im wondering if anyone has a general idea of the cost of a swap if my trans is still good ( get money for it) or if my trans takes a **** ( get less money/core trade).

any thoughts?

my reason for simply contemplating this ( only thinking not taking action at all yet) is I wanted a manual in this setup but it was not offered by FCA in this trucks configuration. I ultimately wanted the simplicity and more reliability ( I understand manuals still have issues, though generally not as many) of a manual.

thanks you guys.

COAinPaso

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’ve read about g56 swaps into Cummins trucks, not sure on the gas. It should be doable. Can’t wait til you get yours done!
My questions would be mostly about bellhousing, flywheel/clutch, input shaft size/splines. Driveshafts can be made/modified pretty easy (shop). You’ll probably be able to tune the computer. Pedal assembly and master can probably sourced fairly easy (JY or new).
PS-I had a ‘14 g56 Cummins, great truck. Now I have a 6.4. I think these hemi’s would be fun and way more useful with the manual. Just seems like the engine has more to offer than the trans will let it use...

Edit- remembered that the title referenced cost. Trans+clutch kit+flywheel+pedal+driveshafts(?)+shift lever(?)+shift boots+custom tune...it could add up. Worth it? Probably [emoji106]

Last edited:
Reactions: U&A
OP
OP
U&A

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
The G56 is an option with the hemi but from what I understand, only in the chassis cab

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
The G56 is an option with the hemi but from what I understand, only in the chassis cab

G56 is what I wanted also, would love to have a manual matted to my 6.4.

Iron Outlaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Do the chassis cabs come with 4x4? I'm wondering about the transfer case

OP
OP
U&A

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Do the chassis cabs come with 4x4? I'm wondering about the transfer case

Im pretty sure they do

Pktatum95

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Did anyone ever do this? Or find out if we can swap a manual out of a cab and chassis into our auto 3500?

2012RAM1500RT

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
That's the ONLY way I'd change an automatic transmission. I'd never take out an automatic to replace with an automatic. Now if I could put a manual transmission in it's place....... I'd do that if it was cost effective but is there anything you can do to one of these newer vehicles that is cost effective? Probably not, it's just changing things to make us happier with them.

BlackGold6.4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Well I know this is not a new post .. but I'm doing this, well at least I'm trying too. It has been done, just not very much. One company in Texas takes a G56 out of a diesel changes the input shaft (while in there he makes other things more reliable) then changes the bell housing body to mate with the Hemi. Also I've read that the transfer case is changed to a NP271 from the borg unit. If something comes up I'll post as to what I have accomplished

BlackGold6.4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Right on @mtofell ... my tranny guy and I are just talking about that issue with PCM, he thinks that this swap is doable but might leave some codes and engine light on. So I'm thinking that a tuner like HP would be the best route.

BlackGold6.4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Are the final drive ratios similar enough that you dont need to re-gear the diffs?
I'm doing the gears no matter what.. 4.10's to 4.88's to match my tire upgrade .. A lower 1st gear but 6th being overdrive .. it will be close .. and you pose a very good question thanks for the thought..

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If someone has a 2500/6.4/66RFE stock tune file for HP Tuners, pm me and I can take a look at it to see if disabling the the trans parameters.

Or it might be possible to mimic the trans part of the tune from a manual Challenger...

907powerwagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Has anyone made progress on this swap? I’m trying to find some info myself considering the auto in my power wagon is toast. Would love to make this happen.

BlackGold6.4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Has anyone made progress on this swap? I’m trying to find some info myself considering the auto in my power wagon is toast. Would love to make this happen.
I put a lot effort into this to find how difficult it is. In a nut shell the 6.4 pcm communicates with the tranny and other modules on your truck and if something is missing the engine cuts to 1/2 power. So to make this work you will have to change the pcm on the engine when swapping in a G56 and have some serious tuning done by someone with magic fingers.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I put a lot effort into this to find how difficult it is. In a nut shell the 6.4 pcm communicates with the tranny and other modules on your truck and if something is missing the engine cuts to 1/2 power. So to make this work you will have to change the pcm on the engine when swapping in a G56 and have some serious tuning done by someone with magic fingers.
Guys are swapping Turbo 400's and the old 727's into the later Chargers/Challengers and making it work.Tim at Total Truck in Edmonton put a 727 into his truck,and might be worth tracking down.I think all you'd need to do is talk to somebody like Jon Sipple at Sipple Speed or Jeremy Satera at Satera tuning,they should be able to point you in the right direction

907powerwagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’ve been reading around trying to find more info on this. Talked the the guy at lazar in Texas today about the mechanical portion of it all. That part seems pretty straight forward. Take a diesel g56 and swap input shaft and front upper bellhousing and it’ll bolt on. I’m not sure what would have to happen with the transfer case just yet but mine is a manual one. I feel like the tuning shouldn’t be that bad either? I have a 2015 so I’d need an unlocked ecm but as long as someone can flash the manual tune I can’t see the rest being too bad? I also have the Alfa obd if I need to make smaller changes. I was seeing a lot of talk about the g56 being used in the third gen hemi with the 5.7. From what I understand, wouldn’t that bolt up to a 6.4?l as well? I’ve done auto to manual swaps in Audis, is a dodge really gonna be worse than that? Haha