Switchbacks and HIDs from Retroshop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jameson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Gonna scoop up the Amber/white switchback led boards, clear corners, and a set of HIDs for the lows and fogs. Wondering what temp bulbs would match the white LEDs in the switch backs the best? 6000k or 5000k?

adurm

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RCSB
Engine
5500-6000k. But I would ask retroshop first.

SIhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Here's a pic of my switchbacks. I would think 6k would match

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 113

Drummin4jc

WWG1WGA!
Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 Ram 2500 CC
Engine
6.4 Hemi
6k seems to be the purest "white" color temp. Anything over 6k starts to give you that blue tint and anything under 6k starts to give you a warm white color (yellow tint). I'd go with 6k.

Adam

schul788

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Actually the 5000K from Jeremy will be the pure white. That's what I got and it looks good with my white/amber switchback. It's actually 5500K I think. I'll look at the bulb box when I get home. The 6000K will be a hint of blue. Let us know what Jeremy says!

adurm

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RCSB
Engine
I had 5500K D2S bulbs in my FXR retrofit projectors. I would have people in front of me slow down thinking I was the police coming up on them. I guess the pretty color at the cutoff was flashing them when I hit bumps. I don't have the issue anymore with 4500K. The problem is that the 4500K bulbs are very different than the switchback boards.

Have you done a retrofit before OP? What are you putting this stuff into headlight-wise?

Rzrman328

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Actually the 5000K from Jeremy will be the pure white. That's what I got and it looks good with my white/amber switchback. It's actually 5500K I think. I'll look at the bulb box when I get home. The 6000K will be a hint of blue. Let us know what Jeremy says!

Agree.

My 6k has a hint of blue. Both low's and fogs.

OP
OP
J

Jameson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had 5500K D2S bulbs in my FXR retrofit projectors. I would have people in front of me slow down thinking I was the police coming up on them. I guess the pretty color at the cutoff was flashing them when I hit bumps. I don't have the issue anymore with 4500K. The problem is that the 4500K bulbs are very different than the switchback boards.

Have you done a retrofit before OP? What are you putting this stuff into headlight-wise?

Just putting the boards in the stock projector headlights. Switchback boards, HIDs, and clear corners. Jeremy also said 5500k

jlpowell84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just putting the boards in the stock projector headlights. Switchback boards, HIDs, and clear corners. Jeremy also said 5500k

any good tutorials on how to take headlights apart? I want to do some stuff am worried the light could melt and warp in the oven! I tried a single tail light and it warped...

I want to do some of the frost tube DRLs

brandonjansen

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited
Engine
6.7 Cummins - Tuned and Deleted

^^ Agreed. I have Morimoto 5000K HID's from Jeremy and a set of built 13+ projectors with the switchback boards and the HID's in the projector match the LED's perfectly. The HID's I have in my fog lights (Morimoto 5000K as well) appear slightly more yellow, but not by much.

The pictures I have are not the best quality because of the brightness of the lights. But here's a shot with all my forward facing lights on to show you how well they do all match.

IMG_3963_zpsm4df8unw.jpg

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
none
Engine
Godzilla 7.3
Gonna scoop up the Amber/white switchback led boards, clear corners, and a set of HIDs for the lows and fogs. Wondering what temp bulbs would match the white LEDs in the switch backs the best? 6000k or 5000k?

If you only want to match the LEDs, then probably 5500-6000*K will be about right. However, if you want the best visibility, 4500-5000*K will most often be better (lumens and CRI).

OTOH, almost anything will be better than stock...

akra11

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Laramie Limited Crew Cab, 8 speed
Engine
5.7 ltr Hemi - 8 Speed; T1000 Diabolo - Custom Hemi Tune
Just ordered switch back from Jeremy. Also have LED fog bulbs on order. Will see once all installed how they match with the HIDs.
efcfb8f075590171710327cc87d8cf4b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk

Solej

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Are you guys installing the switchbacks yourself ? Are you guys baking the headlights ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jlpowell84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you only want to match the LEDs, then probably 5500-6000*K will be about right. However, if you want the best visibility, 4500-5000*K will most often be better (lumens and CRI).

OTOH, almost anything will be better than stock...

No kidding! I was shocked at how horrible stock ones are. I have a beater 94 Camry getting fixed up to sell and it has better visibility than a 2012 Ram I bought lol with stock headlights!!!

Are you guys installing the switchbacks yourself ? Are you guys baking the headlights ?

Exactly what I want to know. A few comments here have said they ordered kits or sentences were worded in ways that indicated they were going to install themselves at home.

There is a general youtube vid from Oracle I think or Plain an Simple showing a Ram headlight being baked and pulled apart. But I would love to know or read threads here that describe all the steps in detail. Tips, etc...

adurm

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RCSB
Engine

Please tell me you are upgrading the projector itself while you have them open.

They are a pain to open. I had to bake mine one at a time at 275' for 15 minutes on a cookie sheet, not touching the sides of the oven or being too close to the element. Then with leather garden gloves to tame the heat, pry with a screwdriver and pray you don't scratch it up. I think the retrofit source has some videos of taking quads apart. I had to re-bake mine 2-3 times in order to get them apart. Doing the LED boards was the easy part. Then you have to test it then put it back together and seal it properly.

I highly suggest you send it to JJ and have him save you the headache and possibility of breaking a housing.

Last edited:

schul788

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

I tried to do one myself and ended up busting a headlight taking it apart. It's really not very easy...for me anyway! I would highly suggest sending to Jeremy. They look brand new when he's done with them.

brandonjansen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Exactly what I want to know. A few comments here have said they ordered kits or sentences were worded in ways that indicated they were going to install themselves at home.

There is a general youtube vid from Oracle I think or Plain an Simple showing a Ram headlight being baked and pulled apart. But I would love to know or read threads here that describe all the steps in detail. Tips, etc...

I would highly recommend having Jeremy at Retroshop do them as well. I baked apart my stock quads from my truck to colour match them (before I got my set of projectors done). It was a complete pain and at the end of the day wasn't even close to as good as the finished product that Jeremy does. The set of +13 projectors I had done by Jeremy are next to flawless and done even look like they've been apart with the exception of all the goodies inside. He does amazing work!

Solej

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I would highly recommend having Jeremy at Retroshop do them as well. I baked apart my stock quads from my truck to colour match them (before I got my set of projectors done). It was a complete pain and at the end of the day wasn't even close to as good as the finished product that Jeremy does. The set of +13 projectors I had done by Jeremy are next to flawless and done even look like they've been apart with the exception of all the goodies inside. He does amazing work!
Do you guys have any idea cost wise to have him do the switchbacks and the clear side panel? Also what's the turn around? Where is he located? That's the other hard part. I'm an hour South West of Chicago, I don't have an extra set. So I will have to plan this all out, with shipping, etc.

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk

brandonjansen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Do you guys have any idea cost wise to have him do the switchbacks and the clear side panel? Also what's the turn around? Where is he located? That's the other hard part. I'm an hour South West of Chicago, I don't have an extra set. So I will have to plan this all out, with shipping, etc.

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk

He has a headlight builder option on his website that will give you a rough idea of the cost otherwise just shoot him an email at [email protected]. He's generally very quick to respond and then you'll have the exact quote for what you want. Every headlight build cost is a little different so it all depends on exactly what you want.
To do just the switchbacks and clear corners I'd say you're looking at roughly $300 plus shipping. Turn around time is all going to depend on his current schedule so again, you'll want to talk to him directly. You can probably coordinate it to ship them in right when he has time to do them and get them turned around fairly quick. He's located in St. Louis.