Switching to Vararam intake

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

texasfan88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This might be a stupid question but I’m wanting to switch over from my S&B intake to a Vararam intake. As I’m sure you all know, the S&B requires you get rid of the o-ring on your MAF sensor and use the supplied rubber grommet. Well, my question is since I don’t seem to have that o-ring anymore, is this going to cause any issues when I install the MAF sensor on the coupler for the Vararam?

StoneDude76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
This might be a stupid question but I’m wanting to switch over from my S&B intake to a Vararam intake. As I’m sure you all know, the S&B requires you get rid of the o-ring on your MAF sensor and use the supplied rubber grommet. Well, my question is since I don’t seem to have that o-ring anymore, is this going to cause any issues when I install the MAF sensor on the coupler for the Vararam?
In my opinion for a daily rig don't use a Vararam. It does not filter well. Take it from experience. Had it on my truck for close to 70,000 miles. Mine is sitting in my storage unit as I type.
Now as far as performance goes there is no other intake out there. You definitely feel the difference. Pulls harder in the upper rpms.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

OP
OP
texasfan88

texasfan88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The coupler is a silicone tube and might seal the sensor without the o-ring necessary.
Make sure the sensor hoop opening is oriented to allow air flow through it.
Ok thank you. Also, the instructions I got show the hole for the sensor needs to be directed towards the firewall however the plug in won’t reach that far and Matt from Moe’s Performance said it needs to be pointed towards the driver’s side. He seems to know what he’s talking about, so I’ll go with what he says. I’m guessing having it point towards the firewall is for 5th gens.

seabrook

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black 2018 Night
Engine
5.7 3.92 anti slip
just get rid of the carbon filter in the air box and put in a drop in dry flow- my truck will stay neck to neck with a new 5.0 to 40 then slowly get pulled after that, at 60 my hood is at the rear of their doors.

OP
OP
texasfan88

texasfan88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well, I just installed mine and I love the way it looks. I had a little issue with getting the IAT sensor (which actually still had the o-ring by the way) in the new coupler as well as moving the ac line so hopefully it isn’t too crooked. Definitely easier to install than my S&B. Overall about 20 minutes worth of work for me, which included going back and forth into the house to get the parts. I also left the radiator shroud off until I can figure out how to trim it. View media item 31083

OP
OP
texasfan88

texasfan88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Nice!
Look at my 2nd pic to see where I trimmed my shroud. Used tin snips to cut it. Leave enough to use the pins on both sides of the radiator.
Ok thanks

OP
OP
texasfan88

texasfan88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just now realizing I may have trimmed too much on the right side. Oh well, it's not hurting anything. Definitely has a little more throttle response in the higher rpms.

seabrook

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black 2018 Night
Engine
5.7 3.92 anti slip
Well, I just installed mine and I love the way it looks. I had a little issue with getting the IAT sensor (which actually still had the o-ring by the way) in the new coupler as well as moving the ac line so hopefully it isn’t too crooked. Definitely easier to install than my S&B. Overall about 20 minutes worth of work for me, which included going back and forth into the house to get the parts. I also left the radiator shroud off until I can figure out how to trim it. View media item 31083
very nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! man you guys have some great set ups!!!!

Gone

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Heres a tip if you are not tuned u can trick the computer to think the air is slightly colder move the iat sensor up to the base of the vararam right behind the filter.. get a lil extra timing :)