Votes: 400 14.4%
  • Valvoline Synpower

Votes: 160 5.8%
  • Mobil 1

Votes: 994 35.8%
  • Other

Votes: 662 23.8%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought the F106SX Fumoto drain valve and plan on installing it at my next oil change but of course I'm still having reservations about using something other than a good ole' fashioned magnetic drain plug. Has anyone of you guys that have used one ever had a bad experience with them before?

I would normally have stuck with a drain plug but on the 5th gen there's a crossmember that the oil hits when its draining from the pan so I went with the F106SX so I could put a hose on it and cut down on the mess. I'm just not too keen on something hanging out into open space that could possibly get knocked off and I'm on the hook for a new engine. It did come with the plastic locking piece.

One more thing: what brand of oil would you guys use in a 21.5 HP Kawasaki zero turn engine. It only has maybe 100 hours or so on it and I've already changed the oil twice but I used some kind of QS "synthetic" 10W40 in it and after some thought I seriously doubt that oil is a good match for that engine so I'm going to change it out for something with a better add pack that won't break the bank and that I can get at the store.

Last edited:

Nerveex

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I’m going to get royal purple 5w-20, what filter is the bigger one for the 5.7? The 20-820? My oil life is around 40-30% in the truck and I have no idea what the dealer used so I’m getting antsy to change it

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I’m going to get royal purple 5w-20, what filter is the bigger one for the 5.7? The 20-820? My oil life is around 40-30% in the truck and I have no idea what the dealer used so I’m getting antsy to change it
You mean Royal Purple oil filter right, not oil? Royal purple oil is basically no better than any other off the shelf brand out there. It might be OK with a bottle of Lubegard in it but there are better oils out there for similar money. I have Rotella gas truck 5W30 in mine right now And will add Lubeguard or switch over to redline if needed later on.

Nerveex

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You mean Royal Purple oil filter right, not oil? Royal purple oil is basically no better than any other off the shelf brand out there. It might be OK with a bottle of Lubegard in it but there are better oils out there for similar money. I have Rotella gas truck 5W30 in mine right now And will add Lubeguard or switch over to redline if needed later on.
Well I suppose I’ll just get normal oil then or I’ll order redline, but yeah I’m more worried about the tiny filter they jammed on there.

Rod Knock

Reaction score
Well I suppose I’ll just get normal oil then or I’ll order redline, but yeah I’m more worried about the tiny filter they jammed on there.
Just get some Mobil 1 EP 5W-20 or Castrol EDGE EP 5W-20 and install a big filter (FRAM FS2) and put a 180F thermostat in there. If you live in the south then also do a grille shutter delete. The HEMI runs too hot from the factory and getting the temperatures down is more important than fidgeting about what kind of oil to get. Mobil 1 has a $15 rebate per jug of EP, you can get up to $30 back.

Royal Purple: you pay $24.99 for the oil and $12 for the Purple Die, so $36.99 :eek:

Nerveex

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just get some Mobil 1 EP 5W-20 or Castrol EDGE EP 5W-20 and install a big filter (FRAM FS2) and put a 180F thermostat in there. If you live in the south then also do a grille shutter delete. The HEMI runs too hot from the factory and getting the temperatures down is more important than fidgeting about what kind of oil to get. Mobil 1 has a $15 rebate per jug of EP, you can get up to $30 back.

Royal Purple: you pay $24.99 for the oil and $12 for the Purple Die, so $36.99 :eek:
I work at a dealer so I get a lil cheaper oil prices, but either way I ain’t gonna buy it if it ain’t worth it lol. Thanks for the filter #

Rod Knock

Reaction score
I work at a dealer so I get a lil cheaper oil prices, but either way I ain’t gonna buy it if it ain’t worth it lol. Thanks for the filter #

Or use the Purolator filter in my signature. It's a bit thicker steel than the FRAM. The FRAM has better filtration though.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7

I'd definitely try Redline. There are far too many reports of it working well to just write the problem off as "engine too hot". So there are many theories, some stronger than others, but currently Redline + a good oil filter has the most traction on this forum. I'm using a pretty small RP filter, and even that works great as backed up by 2 UOA reports.

Nerveex

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'd definitely try Redline. There are far too many reports of it working well to just write the problem off as "engine too hot". So there are many theories, some stronger than others, but currently Redline + a good oil filter has the most traction on this forum. I'm using a pretty small RP filter, and even that works great as backed up by 2 UOA reports.
Yeah I’m just hard pressed to spend more money on the oil change but then again it’s better than having to replace an engine down the road. Most likely will try it next oil change

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Exactly. The price is rough, but the great thing is you should know by the end of that run whether it was effective or not.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
@tidefan1967 - is your Kawi air or liquid cooled? If air I'd spend a few extra bucks for top anti-oxidation oil like Red Line or Amsoil. Those motors run very high duty cycles, and even though they have OHV, they still run 50F higher than liquid cooled engines. If liquid cooled, any good synthetic is fine.

Though the duty cycles are high, the specific bearing loads are not like a Hemi towing a 15,000 lb trailer up a mountain. Just use the vis grade recommended.

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
@tidefan1967 - is your Kawi air or liquid cooled? If air I'd spend a few extra bucks for top anti-oxidation oil like Red Line or Amsoil. Those motors run very high duty cycles, and even though they have OHV, they still run 50F higher than liquid cooled engines. If liquid cooled, any good synthetic is fine.

Though the duty cycles are high, the specific bearing loads are not like a Hemi towing a 15,000 lb trailer up a mountain. Just use the vis grade recommended.
It’s the FR651V which is an air cooled engine.

Rod Knock

Reaction score
@Burla - I just tried Mobil 1 EP 5W-20 in my HEMI. It sucks. But hey, the fuel mileage is awesome, the valvetrain noise not so much. I'll fill you in later.