Votes: 401 14.4%
  • Valvoline Synpower

Votes: 161 5.8%
  • Mobil 1

Votes: 997 35.8%
  • Other

Votes: 663 23.8%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Come on over ... it's pleasant outside, sun shining bright and the A/C is on keeping the house cool and comfortable ... however, you'll have to change your own oil and you can borrow my tools while I sit in the lawn chair and watch and may give advise ...

You won't holler at me when I pre-fill my oil filter, will you?

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
Back to today-land, I really should change transmission oil, but spring won't happen here.

We get daily excursions between winter and summer. Anybody else actually having spring? Maybe I'll come over and change oil at your place.
We've had 26+deg/cel temps last week here in Hamilton, Ontario.
C'mon over; beer is cold and the BBQ has already had several workouts!
Although, today it was 4deg/cel in the morning, and then it started to snow a bit about 5:00pm this afternoon.
Now it's just cold and windy out.

Travis8352

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Back to today-land, I really should change transmission oil, but spring won't happen here.

We get daily excursions between winter and summer. Anybody else actually having spring? Maybe I'll come over and change oil at your place.
Spring was last week lol. 85 and sunny on wednesday 8 inches of snow monday lol

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
We only had 90 inches snow, but it was 3rd most on record as avg is 50".

Now spring chores are all bottled up into a compressed timeframe, incl trans oil change.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
We've had 26+deg/cel temps last week here in Hamilton, Ontario.
C'mon over; beer is cold and the BBQ has already had several workouts!
Although, today it was 4deg/cel in the morning, and then it started to snow a bit about 5:00pm this afternoon.
Now it's just cold and windy out.
Over the next 36 hours the new forecast is 2-4 inch's of snow above 1500 feet 4-8 above 2000 feet that is unless they change it again :oops:

REDinAZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Crew
Engine
5.7 2wd 3.92
alright my RAM FORUM oils nuts. today did my first OCI in the '17 using the recommended 5w30 option...

EDIT: FWIW from very first oil change since I drove it brand new off lot have always been using that Penn Ult Plat, just the 5w20 jugs.

20230418_104243.jpg

Last edited:

knightjp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It would be great to find an oil that is cheap, has similar additives and formula of Redline and doesn't need to have the lubegard added for each oil change.
I heard some people using Castrol Edge and not having any issues.

I came across this additive.

71V1Yz2j5RL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
When the website says "BestOilInTheWorld.com", that is the beginning of BS. LOL

knightjp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Time has come for me to change the oil again in my truck. I'm tempted to try Castrol Edge 5W30 since I changed all the lifters and stuff and some users have been having success with it. However seeing that my truck has been through the whole lifter issue, maybe the safer choice is to stick with Redline. Seeing that summer is just around the corner and the temps here can go on average of 45.C and over, I would like to run something thicker. I was thinking 5W30 in the Winter and 5W40 in the summer.
The only Redline the dealer has got of the 5W40 is the professional series. We don't want that.
From the High Performance series that we use, he's got 5w30 10w40 5w50 15w50 20w50.
So which should I go for?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
IMO, 5w30, it is pure hemi honey. With thicker weights or larger winter ratings the forum has proven, you never know what you will get as far as tick. It defy's logic from what we know as far as weights, but what we don't know is why the 5w30 formula is so stout, we don't know the "mix". Second choice would be 5w40 redline. I have nothing to add on that one, good luck.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Time has come for me to change the oil again in my truck. I'm tempted to try Castrol Edge 5W30 since I changed all the lifters and stuff and some users have been having success with it. However seeing that my truck has been through the whole lifter issue, maybe the safer choice is to stick with Redline. Seeing that summer is just around the corner and the temps here can go on average of 45.C and over, I would like to run something thicker. I was thinking 5W30 in the Winter and 5W40 in the summer.
The only Redline the dealer has got of the 5W40 is the professional series. We don't want that.
From the High Performance series that we use, he's got 5w30 10w40 5w50 15w50 20w50.
So which should I go for?

I'm not sure the ambiant temperature matters? Yes it gets really really hot for your personally, but my engine will see temps of 95C to 106C even when its well below freezing outside. What matters is how hot your engine gets. As long as you're not going past 110C on a regular basis and having trouble keeping it cool, just continue running 5w-30 regardless of outside temp. If you are going past 110, I'd sooner start looking into additional cooling than worry about thicker oil. Just my 2 cents.

HK1837

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The older SAE oil charts used to show 30 weight as suitable for ambients up to about 35degC, then 40 weight up to about 40degC. See attached. I know its older and oils now behave differently to traditional oils but similar principles still apply. My Toyota usd to specify 10W-30 but of you were driving continuous high speed, towing, 4x4 or in ambients greater than 35degC then they stated 10W-40 or 15W-40

HK1837

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
How can EV be the future if we will run out of the rare earth metals needed to store electricity long before we run out of ground oil? There isnt enough rare earth metals to replace every car in america not to mention the world. And the production of hydrogen is a net loss currently. Hydrogen has lost 1/2 it's energy before it gets to the car. Neither of those dogs hunt, but there is one dog that does, renewable cellulose some people fondly name that corn. We all know ground oil will be gone, many of us will likely see the day it does, but it would be nice if we followed common sense and math to solve the solution and actually look at what works. Methane is another option.
Batteries don't have to contain bulk loads of rare earth minerals, and an EV doesn't have to use battery storage as you are thinking. It can be run from a Hydrogen fuel cell creating the power to drive the electric motors. Don't forget EV's were around prior to IC vehicles. EV's were a competitor to steam powered (external combustion) vehicles. Just walk through the automotive museum in Alaska and see how early the EV's are. The problem back then as it is today in these competing against IC vehicles for acceptance is the battery technology. Solve this and you won't want an IC vehicle, no-one will other than for nostalgic reasons just like steam powered vehicles are viewed today. I'll keep my Chevy powered cars for as long as I can buy fuel, but I know with total certainty that in 10-16 year's time I'll be driving something with electric motive power as my daily.

We are going to be in the situation shortly that in some countries we have more energy developed from renewables during the day than we can use. The energy is to all intents and purposes free. If it is used to create Hydrogen then who cares if its only 50% efficient? It is CO2 free when it is combusted, regardless of where that is, be it in power generation or motive power or household power. That is the goal, reduction of CO2 and other greenhouse gas emissions. I think many people forget this, the Press certainly have.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Batteries don't have to contain bulk loads of rare earth minerals, and an EV doesn't have to use battery storage as you are thinking. It can be run from a Hydrogen fuel cell creating the power to drive the electric motors. Don't forget EV's were around prior to IC vehicles. EV's were a competitor to steam powered (external combustion) vehicles. Just walk through the automotive museum in Alaska and see how early the EV's are. The problem back then as it is today in these competing against IC vehicles for acceptance is the battery technology. Solve this and you won't want an IC vehicle, no-one will other than for nostalgic reasons just like steam powered vehicles are viewed today. I'll keep my Chevy powered cars for as long as I can buy fuel, but I know with total certainty that in 10-16 year's time I'll be driving something with electric motive power as my daily.

We are going to be in the situation shortly that in some countries we have more energy developed from renewables during the day than we can use. The energy is to all intents and purposes free. If it is used to create Hydrogen then who cares if its only 50% efficient? It is CO2 free when it is combusted, regardless of where that is, be it in power generation or motive power or household power. That is the goal, reduction of CO2 and other greenhouse gas emissions. I think many people forget this, the Press certainly have.
google anyone of the metals used and reserves and see for yourself. Examples, cobalt- According to the US Geological Survey (USGS), total cobalt reserves worldwide stand at an estimated 7.1 million tonnes, with 140,000 tonnes produced globally in 2020, so at current demand that is 50 years, but now consider only 1% of USA is EV, if indeed americans started buying EV's that would be ten years at best? Mind you this only takes into account current demands, as the demand increases, these metals will be gone much sooner.

born-in-2010-how-much-metals-and-energy-is-left.png

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
The best news is corn is renewable and hillbilly's have the only true answer, they can make fuel out of anything, even distilled tree bark. But if you think we have it rough, just wait to see what 2 and 3 generations out will be facing. Better reform that education system and teach people how to use an axe and run a still, not that there will be any copper.

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The best news is corn is renewable and hillbilly's have the only true answer, they can make fuel out of anything, even distilled tree bark. But if you think we have it rough, just wait to see what 2 and 3 generations out will be facing. Better reform that education system and teach people how to use an axe and run a still, not that there will be any copper.
I’m sure that burning wood(or anything else for that matter) will be illegal by then if they continue on with this. Better learn how to knit instead, lol. Glad I’ll be dead by then.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Wood is a truly renewable resource - the perfect natural carbon / oxygen cycle.
Corn is not - fossil fuels are needed to grow it, fertilize it, harvest it, cook it into ethanol. It needs to be used for its intent - food.

Let's face it - we've overpopulated ourselves, and mother nature is thinning our herd the hard way. Solar, wind, nukes, methane. However many of us they can support is our population limit.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Are fossil fuels needed to grow corn? Or is corn fuel needed to grow corn? Fertilizer you have a point, might have to make use of your local sewer departments.

What difference will it makes when we run out of everything, was the point. Solar wont work, in less then 100 years there wont be any material to build it. No way to store energy is our future, that is a matter of time. Wind will work so will hydro, but that will be used up as it's made, solar will be gone, gas will be gone, even nuke energy will be gone look at those reserves. uranium will run out 2080.

Watch how fast corn will be the answer. Without energy for the masses, wood will be cut and wont be regrown in time for the need. As you can see the known resources, this is not that far off in the future. Better find a new way to fill potholes as well, no roads will be maintained, but it wont really matter because there will be no where to go, no stores, no hospitals, nada. It is irresponsible what is going on right now, this push for EV's will sink those resources faster then you can say darwin ten times.

benefits ethonal