Votes: 400 14.4%
  • Valvoline Synpower

Votes: 160 5.8%
  • Mobil 1

Votes: 994 35.8%
  • Other

Votes: 662 23.8%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ok,

Anyone with a catch can that does very frequent short trips can you guess about how many ounces you collect over a certain period of time?

My wife’s ranger is a catch can filling machine. It always produced a lot but now its even MORE.

Not sure if its been because It more humid out and around the 30s or high 20s I have been having to dump it every two weeks otherwise it will overflow[emoji15][emoji15][emoji15].

I installed this one and it is a 10 ounce capacity.

http://m.uprproducts.com/ranger-billet-single-valve-catch-can-separator-ecoboost-19.html

The past two times I’ve dumped it I’d say it was 3/4 full in 2 weeks. Short trips all week.

Seems like a heck of a lot to me.

What will your hemi produce?

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]
Seems like an excessive amount to me ....maybe check the PCV for being stuck open ?
With that said i do see more accumulation in the winter months , especially when im just driving to & from work (16 miles one way ) my oil temp only gets to 180 +-10° depending on the OAT .

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

KevinInVT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Ok,

Anyone with a catch can that does very frequent short trips can you guess about how many ounces you collect over a certain period of time?

My wife’s ranger is a catch can filling machine. It always produced a lot but now its even MORE.

Not sure if its been because It more humid out and around the 30s or high 20s I have been having to dump it every two weeks otherwise it will overflow[emoji15][emoji15][emoji15].

http://m.uprproducts.com/ranger-billet-single-valve-catch-can-separator-ecoboost-19.html

The past two times I’ve dumped it I’d say it was 3/4 full in 2 weeks. Short trips all week.

I don't have a hemi but the CC on my 3.6 will be full in 2 weeks. I drive maybe 300 miles in that time. My 5.3 Silverado was the same way in winter. I'm central VT for perspective. I get crazy amounts in winter henand t warmer months it goes back to a reasonable amount. Maybe would empty once every 4 to 6 weeks and still not be full.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ok,

Does she idle it a lot? Usually OCCs will fill up quicker at higher vacuum which is at idle or extremely light throttle at a steady cruising speed. However being a turbo might increase the the crankcase pressure and therefore make the OCC fill up quicker?

Just think about how much oil that motor would be ingesting if you didn't have it[emoji15]

KevinInVT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
I was going to add if I just start the truck and drive I get less accumulation but for the sake of my drivetrain I have been letting truck idle up to about 120°f for coolant which is when the idle will drop below 1000 rpm to take off.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Ok,

what rpm's is her normal compared to your truck?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
32”

So basically you will have to cut one side at a time? I got that monterey pine body from last year still laying in the yard, my 18' wont even dent that thing is so huge. Was gonna rent a 28, that is what they carry at the yard, but my friend owes me from fixing his truck so he said we was gonna go at it with his 24, I'm not sure about this. The issue is the tree is on a slant, last thing I want is it sliding down while someone is butchering it without the right tool. Since you are the tree guy, if a tree that big is down, can it pinch the saw? Need a high HP saw to go with blade size?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Was just curious. Probably going with Amsoil SG

Can't go wrong with SG, I bet those don't have moly because they don't want the surface too slippery. Good find and question, and if that is the case, it wants me to put moly in my oil even more. Crazy some oil mixers still don't use it.

scott lass 18

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 ram 1500
Engine
Yes, 6 bucks for 10 ounce size, I'd buy two. Moly treatment plus phos in an ester base. We call it poor man's redline around here, read the reviews, it works. An rare additive with solid science behind it, not a gimmick additive or snake oil. VOA's have proven the additive package. As good as the reviews are, they may even be better as some people are not aware it often takes time for moly to plate.
do you hear the lifters after that mine are load not like my old chevy ?

scott lass 18

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 ram 1500
Engine
I didn't know we were having mds drama, but one way to make sure you feel your mds or not is to shut it off and see if you still feel what you are feeling. I can imagine some guys feel their mds, but I don't feel mine at all. I'm not sure if an oil would help or not, or what oil would help or not, thick or thin I dunno. The mds appears to be up and down force, I don't see much side pressures. Hemi tick is different, no doubt side pressures and moly plate helps, I doubt it would help mds operation.

california did a update on my truck s computer there playing God again ! feel its running better but the mds solands when go back to run 8 may not open to allowing more oil the engine needs read this owwww that's why this engineer said the rocker was bone dry on his lifter not getting oil burn down the cam on engine yuck

scott lass 18

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 ram 1500
Engine
I meant on another thread about turning the Mds. Were just talking back and forth casually and people wile jump on us for turning it off. Even using an abbreviated curse word.

Anyway i dont have this issue always turn mine off. Was just curiosity.

Thank you for the answer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
new 10 years ago a problem turn mine off hope to save lifters from burning up my cam dont have 5,000 to rebuild and wouldn't just get a new one delete mds plugs in it but need a turner to turn off on computer never found a way to just unplug it ?

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I was going to add if I just start the truck and drive I get less accumulation but for the sake of my drivetrain I have been letting truck idle up to about 120°f for coolant which is when the idle will drop below 1000 rpm to take off.
That's exactly what i do [emoji106]takes only a couple minutes or less if I'm parked in my garage .

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
don't work on a 5.7 right ? sooo lucky better set up too !
I & many more have been running the larger filter on the 5.7 for several oci's fits just fine .

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Deleted

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
This moto phone I am using as my dash cam. I would have done a thread on it but I can't figure out how to upload the video, damn I'm old. Anyhow, 49 bucks and it will work for a year with minutes, but you can use it after the minutes burn out via wifi. I don't prefer the phone, I like the fatter lg's way better, but for specifically as a dash cam this phone rocks. Even when I lowered the vga to the lowest setting, so to save memory space, it still looks as if it was shot in HD. Even after shooting an hour of dash cam, I still have 6 GB left as open memory. That is like 3 HD movies, but if you shoot in lowest setting more like 24 hours of video and then some. The footage on this phone is way better than the quality of those cheap dash cams. It has a stabilizer button as well, you can fix the stability if it's rough, but you don't need that generally. Old guys like me are easy to please, and this hello moto phone rocks as a cheap viable dash cam with a year of service you can leave in your truck for 49 bucks, of course comes with dc charger as well for truck.

data packet was too big to make it to my email, where I know how to deal with it, but whatever, the footage is there in case anything happens while you are driving.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
This moto phone I am using as my dash cam. I would have done a thread on it but I can't figure out how to upload the video, damn I'm old. Anyhow, 49 bucks and it will work for a year with minutes, but you can use it after the minutes burn out via wifi. I don't prefer the phone, I like the fatter lg's way better, but for specifically as a dash cam this phone rocks. Even when I lowered the vga to the lowest setting, so to save memory space, it still looks as if it was shot in HD. Even after shooting an hour of dash cam, I still have 6 GB left as open memory. That is like 3 HD movies, but if you shoot in lowest setting more like 24 hours of video and then some. The footage on this phone is way better than the quality of those cheap dash cams. It has a stabilizer button as well, you can fix the stability if it's rough, but you don't need that generally. Old guys like me are easy to please, and this hello moto phone rocks as a cheap viable dash cam with a year of service you can leave in your truck for 49 bucks, of course comes with dc charger as well for truck.

data packet was too big to make it to my email, where I know how to deal with it, but whatever, the footage is there in case anything happens while you are driving.

So im bad at this....

When you fill up the memory will it automatically overwrite and continue recording?

I was looking at dash cams recently after a scare on the highway.