Votes: 400 14.4%
  • Valvoline Synpower

Votes: 160 5.8%
  • Mobil 1

Votes: 994 35.8%
  • Other

Votes: 662 23.8%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For anyone else who would rather follow facts, you see which amsoil's carry the starburst and look at Corey's post and my post on api licensing. And look at Amsoil's own posts on api and why they don't carry api on SS, that lack of additives ='s lack of quality. If it don't have the starburst, it don't have the certification. I will not address this again, PERIOD. I don't think amsoil did anyone any favors with that fake starburst on ss, lmao.

From Amsoil...

Let us address API licensing in depth, as well as the issue of warranties. Some AMSOIL motor oils are API licensed, some are not. API licensed oils should be your choice. If you are looking for an alternative to frequent oil changes or just want the best performing oil for your car, then one of the AMSOIL top tier non-API licensed synthetic oils should be your choice.

xlm-qt.jpg

AMSOIL-OE-0W-20-Synthetic-Engine-Oil.png

amsoil-synthetic-5W20-ss-motor-oil-quart.jpg

I just got off the phone with someone with Amsoil and they pretty much told me in a lot better detail, the same thing pretty much that you said, that no, the SS oil is not certified by API or Chrysler and it’s because if it was, it wouldn’t be the quality oil with the much more protection it has and would be no better than the OE or that boosted Amsoil.

Sorry if I made you a little miffed but cut me some slack man, I don’t know this **** like y’all do. All I’m trying to do is learn as much as I can. And yes, I realize that since most of y’all ain’t got warranty holding you back from using whatever you want, and those that do have warranty and use what they want and have their strategies to essentially be able to have their cake and eat it too, that it’s not easy to see things from my point of view.

So once again, I don’t know what I’ll settle on using. I have a while to decide whether or not I want to keep using the better of the Amsoil product or not. I’ll just have to re-review my Mopar MVP contract and if it just states in there that I have to follow what Mopar “recommends”, I may just decide to take my chances and use a much better oil and if it ever came down to it, they can be told by my lawyer that a recommendation is not a requirement. Just like with the octane rating of our fuel; they “recommend” 89 but they say 87 will suffice. They’re not saying we have to use 89, but if we want better performance and mileage then 89 is what you should use.

But now that I understand why Amsoil SS and the Redline stuff that most of y’all use isn’t certified by Chrysler and isn’t api certified, why does the manufacturer essentially want us to use a lower-quality oil? Even if you do use the 20w like with the Amsoil SS? How and why would they try to hold that against us if something ever were to happen, and they try to blame it on oil if the oil we’re using is far better than what the “recommended” stuff is, just because of those certifications? Maybe that’s I’m kinda starting to lean towards what I’ve been told about forcing them to prove to me that my oil choice..... that’s so much better than their “recommendation”..... is the absolute utmost reason of why my motor failed for whatever reason instead of just trying to hang me for not using their “recommendation”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just got off the phone with someone with Amsoil and they pretty much told me in a lot better detail, the same thing pretty much that you said, that no, the SS oil is not certified by API or Chrysler and it’s because if it was, it wouldn’t be the quality oil with the much more protection it has and would be no better than the OE or that boosted Amsoil.

Sorry if I made you a little miffed but cut me some slack man, I don’t know this **** like y’all do. All I’m trying to do is learn as much as I can. And yes, I realize that since most of y’all ain’t got warranty holding you back from using whatever you want, and those that do have warranty and use what they want and have their strategies to essentially be able to have their cake and eat it too, that it’s not easy to see things from my point of view.

So once again, I don’t know what I’ll settle on using. I have a while to decide whether or not I want to keep using the better of the Amsoil product or not. I’ll just have to re-review my Mopar MVP contract and if it just states in there that I have to follow what Mopar “recommends”, I may just decide to take my chances and use a much better oil and if it ever came down to it, they can be told by my lawyer that a recommendation is not a requirement. Just like with the octane rating of our fuel; they “recommend” 89 but they say 87 will suffice. They’re not saying we have to use 89, but if we want better performance and mileage then 89 is what you should use.

But now that I understand why Amsoil SS and the Redline stuff that most of y’all use isn’t certified by Chrysler and isn’t api certified, why does the manufacturer essentially want us to use a lower-quality oil? Even if you do use the 20w like with the Amsoil SS? How and why would they try to hold that against us if something ever were to happen, and they try to blame it on oil if the oil we’re using is far better than what the “recommended” stuff is, just because of those certifications? Maybe that’s I’m kinda starting to lean towards what I’ve been told about forcing them to prove to me that my oil choice..... that’s so much better than their “recommendation”..... is the absolute utmost reason of why my motor failed for whatever reason instead of just trying to hang me for not using their “recommendation”.

I hear you man, I remember when I had my warranty and I took my truck in for it ticking I was some glad at that point I had been using PYB and PP. The dealer grilled me on what oil I had been using, filters, frequency of changes, and they wanted to see all receipts. BUT my dealer is notorious for looking for any excuse to not cover warranty work unless you bring it to them to perform all services which I refuse to do.

I honestly don't think you'll have a problem using SS 5w20 with the dealer, I just would make sure to keep all receipts and good records of everything.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I hear you man, I remember when I had my warranty and I took my truck in for it ticking I was some glad at that point I had been using PYB and PP. The dealer grilled me on what oil I had been using, filters, frequency of changes, and they wanted to see all receipts. BUT my dealer is notorious for looking for any excuse to not cover warranty work unless you bring it to them to perform all services which I refuse to do.
I think they all pretty much are to some extent.

I honestly don't think you'll have a problem using SS 5w20 with the dealer, I just would make sure to keep all receipts and good records of everything.

I don’t really see why either, it’s 20w just like what they want but hopefully they realize that this stuff and perhaps maybe even the 20w version of the redline y’all use is simply much better oil that almost guarantees better wear protection and lubrication than most other stuff on the market.

misuracaf10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
was just looking on Redline Website. what is the difference between the redline's professional series and just the regular high performance ? the professional series comes in a 5qt jug only, and the high performance comes in the quarts at more $$ per quart. what is the difference here?

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
was just looking on Redline Website. what is the difference between the redline's professional series and just the regular high performance ? the professional series comes in a 5qt jug only, and the high performance comes in the quarts at more $$ per quart. what is the difference here?

If I’m not mistaken, comparing the redline professional series to the high-performance redline is like what we were talking about a few posts ago when comparing the Amsoil signature series to their OE Amsoil. In other words, their performance series is the stuff that’s probably not approved for Chrysler and it’s not API certified because it’s got a lot more wear additives in it than their professional series so just like how the Amsoil signature series is much better than the other two or three products that I am soul has because it’s not API certified and all that, the red line performance series is the same way compared to the professional series which is probably more of an OEM rated oil.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi

Some garbage line forced on them when 66 bought redline, it's no good no moly, I would rather run amazon oil. With redline high performance line is the tick killer.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
thanks guys ! this thread is so deep it was even difficult to search for to find the answer

Well, there’s also quite a bit of off topic gibber jabber in here that this thread really shouldn’t be as long as it is...Lol.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So surprised
oht67vkoj3l3jii4yw39q52mc43yaeb52snzzndt&rid=giphy.gif

My comment really didn’t mean any harm, I was just sayin that there’s been a whole lotta off topic discussion here that wasn’t necessarily related to synthetic oil.

Flame Red Rebel

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Rebel
Engine
Hemi Hybrid
Both Hemi's get premium WIX/NAPA

Schaeffer's 9000 in 0w-40 and 5w-20

Flame Red Rebel

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Rebel
Engine
Hemi Hybrid
Do you happen to have a blackstone analysis report on that combo with in the 5w20 of that?

No, just bought the Rebel and it first change was to Shaffers. In 4K will change it and send it in as the oil is diluted with God knows what was in there before.

BTW, my old 2013 5.7 loved that oil..................

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No, just bought the Rebel and it first change was to Shaffers. In 4K will change it and send it in as the oil is diluted with God knows what was in there before.
From what I understand, it’s just a semi-synthetic or a synthetic blend. Nothin special by no means.

BTW, my old 2013 5.7 loved that oil..................
Hmm. How?...lol.

I guess my 18 loved that PUP 5w-20. Although, Blackstone did tell me in my last analysis that the iron content was still a little high at being almost 3 years old with 29,000 miles on it. I did tell them later in a phone conversation that I do a bit of idling because I take full advantage of my remote start and I do have a fairly short commute to and from work.

I’m using Amsoil 5w20 Signature Series in it right now and I guess it likes that. Can’t really tell any differences in how it runs.

Are you using the 20w or the 30w?