Votes: 400 14.4%
  • Valvoline Synpower

Votes: 160 5.8%
  • Mobil 1

Votes: 995 35.8%
  • Other

Votes: 662 23.8%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I have a better question, how long before the earth runs out of known reserves of the raw materials to make solar panels, and what is the lifespan of solar panels? Because according to the reserves and mines of those materials, we will be long out of solar panels and the lifespan of those panels before we run out of oil. The only responsible way to use solar panels is straight to the grid, the minute you store that power you increased the level of irresponsibility ten times. Wind and hydro are way more promising then solar, 100 years from now solar will be a joke in classrooms because nobody will even know what it is. Storing that power just so someone can drive is very irresponsible to the planet. Compared to the massive benefit society can enjoy from using that energy for everyday needs.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
View attachment 527084
I was not the first one googling that :D

Hmmm....not making intuitive sense to me 3 acres of solar panels can make same power as 3 giant coal power generators.
Solar converters made from unobtainium these days?

And of course there's no power at night.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Here's what we get here, with the push to go green in Texas: Here is today's jewel: Note the info ref generation>

Now for the expected bad news.......
ERCOT Expects Tight Grid Conditions Later Today, Requests Conservation Effective Today, August 24, from 3 p.m. – 10 p.m. CT.
(Austin, TX) – Due to low wind-power generation and high demand, operating reserves for ERCOT are expected to be low for several hours this afternoon into the evening. As a result, ERCOT is asking Texans to conserve electricity use, if safe to do so. This appeal for conservation is in effect today, August 24 from 3 p.m. – 10 p.m. CT.
ERCOT is requesting all government agencies (including city and county offices) to implement all programs to reduce energy use at their facilities.
ERCOT is not experiencing emergency conditions at this time, but forecasts are showing a high potential to enter emergency operations this evening because of expected low wind-power generation and high demand. Help from Texans to conserve electricity use will assist grid reliability.
Essentially: "were shoving power wheels down your throat but this is why we don't want you to charge them."

Nice lol

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a better question, how long before the earth runs out of known reserves of the raw materials to make solar panels, and what is the lifespan of solar panels? Because according to the reserves and mines of those materials, we will be long out of solar panels and the lifespan of those panels before we run out of oil. The only responsible way to use solar panels is straight to the grid, the minute you store that power you increased the level of irresponsibility ten times. Wind and hydro are way more promising then solar, 100 years from now solar will be a joke in classrooms because nobody will even know what it is. Storing that power just so someone can drive is very irresponsible to the planet. Compared to the massive benefit society can enjoy from using that energy for everyday needs.
Not to mention the coming lithium/copper shortages needed to make evs and their batteries. They say peak copper has already happened and now we're going to be using more for things like solar farms....

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Plus stuff like lithium mining, maybe decent reserves but no infrastructure to increase it thanks to heavy demand.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So this week with the Ram its started to have a low end rattle when I start it. It is not doing it at a cold start, its after driving about 3-4 minutes to the kids school and then letting it sit for 20 minutes. It won't do it again after the second start up. Any thoughts? It has never done this before.

tfeni52355

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Longhorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi, 4x4, Air Suspension
Kirkland 5W-30 experience:

My truck sits for 2-3 weeks at at time due to having a company vehicle the past 2 years. Usually it is driven to the recycling center or a 1500 mile round trip. I have been using Redline 5W-30 for about 80K miles. Truck is now at 90 K miles. Every time I started the truck after it sat for awhile I very very rarely heard lifter clatter when I used Redline.

Recently I changed my oil and used Kirkland 5w-30 synthetic instead of Redline 5w-30. The price of Redline vs Kirkland was a big factor. It has not been a great experience.

The truck has lifter clatter on startup much more often and this morning it was especially loud and lasted a couple of minutes. Not a great feeling. I will add some Lubeguard tomorrow and see if it helps.

I do not recommend the Kirkland oil for the Hemi based upon this experience. I will run the Kirkland for a while and then go back to Redline.

$150 oil changes is painful but only once a year now. Go Redline, you won’t regret it.

knightjp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
@Treburkulosis What is the mileage of the truck right now? Assuming that you have done everything and every possible working combination in this thread to prevent the Hemi tick, I would say then you should look at a possible manifold / header bolt tick.

@tfeni52355 if you are running any oil other than Redline, then you should be keeping the oil change intervals short; 3000 - 4000 miles max.
If you are using Redline, you could go up to 5000 miles or even 6000. I wouldn't go beyond that. In addition, I would change the oil once it has reached over 6 months old; even if the mileage hasn't reached the mark yet. Its best practice.

I'm still on the hunt for a good oil that is comparable to Redline at a cheaper price. For the moment, Mobil 1 FS 0w40 with OCI at 3000 miles seems to be a good combo that is working well. The problem is that Mobil 1 is only slightly more cheaper than Redline. There are other oils in the market that are cheaper and need testing with my engine.

Last edited:

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
@Treburkulosis What is the mileage of the truck right now? Assuming that you have done everything and every possible working combination in this thread to prevent the Hemi tick, I would say then you should look at a possible manifold / header bolt tick.

@tfeni52355 if you are running any oil other than Redline, then you should be keeping the oil change intervals short; 3000 - 4000 miles max.
If you are using Redline, you could go up to 5000 miles or even 6000. I wouldn't go beyond that. In addition, I would change the oil once it has reached over 6 months old; even if the mileage hasn't reached the mark yet. Its best practice.

I'm still on the hunt for a good oil that is comparable to Redline at a cheaper price. For the moment, Mobil 1 FS 0w40 with OCI at 3000 miles seems to be a good combo that is working well. The problem is that Mobil 1 is only slightly more cheaper than Redline. There are other oils in the market that are cheaper and need testing with my engine.
I am an original hemi tick survivor. 160k I run around 4k on Castrol Edge 5w30 and have for the past 140k. Its almost like a knock. Its not the manifolds they have a very different sound. This was a knock. I am at 2k now on my last oil change. I have ran the puraltor boss filter for 140k. It also got another round of lubegard on this last oil change.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Kirkland 5W-30 experience:

My truck sits for 2-3 weeks at at time due to having a company vehicle the past 2 years. Usually it is driven to the recycling center or a 1500 mile round trip. I have been using Redline 5W-30 for about 80K miles. Truck is now at 90 K miles. Every time I started the truck after it sat for awhile I very very rarely heard lifter clatter when I used Redline.

Recently I changed my oil and used Kirkland 5w-30 synthetic instead of Redline 5w-30. The price of Redline vs Kirkland was a big factor. It has not been a great experience.

The truck has lifter clatter on startup much more often and this morning it was especially loud and lasted a couple of minutes. Not a great feeling. I will add some Lubeguard tomorrow and see if it helps.

I do not recommend the Kirkland oil for the Hemi based upon this experience. I will run the Kirkland for a while and then go back to Redline.

$150 oil changes is painful but only once a year now. Go Redline, you won’t regret it.
Lubegard can work, I wouldnt give up on it just yet. Good luck...

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

knightjp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Anyone heard of this happening on a Hemi with MDS?

I've got MDS on my truck. It hasn't happened to mine.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Anyone heard of this happening on a Hemi with MDS?

cool thing jasper allows for the delete or not when you buy a new engine. I wonder how long that will be legal, lol.

He recommends spark plugs every year, but I'm wondering if heavy use of redline si-1 wouldnt work as well? He is a true mechanic, so my guess is he only believes in hard fixes, but I believe in whatever will work.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you needed yet another reason to use a PEA cleaner Corey's video would be it imo, super beneficial to active fuel management vehicles like the hemi mds engine.
I was gonna buy a 2022 Sierra 1500 with the 5.3 with the AFM/DFM not installed, making the engine almost bullet proof, but Dealer would not come off the 63K MSRP. Since my RAM paid off, that would have stuck me with at least a 30-35K vehicle note, going from a paid off to a financed vehicle. Made no sense, lmao.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you needed yet another reason to use a PEA cleaner Corey's video would be it imo, super beneficial to active fuel management vehicles like the hemi mds engine.
I was reading the info from CHEVY ref the Duramax, the new 3.0, and they State they expect the Duramax to use a quart of oil every 1000 miles, now that makes no sense to me to engineer like that. But what do I know, I's just a BOIRD.