Votes: 400 14.4%
  • Valvoline Synpower

Votes: 160 5.8%
  • Mobil 1

Votes: 994 35.8%
  • Other

Votes: 662 23.8%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Yep!

It would really annoy the hell outta me because I do everything to try and limit it (no idling, good oil choice, meticulous about changing early, etc)

Manifold bolt(s) suck but much less of an issue. Easy to diagnose too, that heat shield is flapping in the wind lol
I’m sure you know this, but it has been posted that if you get the manifolds machined, you won’t have to deal with broken bolts again. Can’t speak from experience though.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’m sure you know this, but it has been posted that if you get the manifolds machined, you won’t have to deal with broken bolts again. Can’t speak from experience though.

I figured as much, but I have MaxCare Lifetime. Ill let the dealer deal with it...Im sure their recourse is to replace the manifold and/or broken studs, but that's fine. Only lasted 36K miles before one broke, but its been 7 years (I dont drive much)

If it happens again in 7 years, Im ok with that lol

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
weren't they machined in the first place? My guess what would work is some thick gasket material that doesnt shrink or expand with heat, maybe ceramic? But I also have no personal experience. Common sense if you have two different metals that will expand or contract at different rates, I guess even if they were the same metal they would also expand and shrink at different rates as their size is so different. I am pretty sure many of us cant believe people have solved all of this simple isht long before 2023. Makes you wonder if all of their priorities are not actually making good stuff but rather making stuff that is good as long as a warranty period. I bet these folks get big ol bonus's for that. It is horrible for any business model to make an indestructible product. What about exhaust bolts with springs in them??? Have a little give is all they need. Or something in that ilk, sleeves you bolt the mani too and somehow can slide a mm.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
weren't they machined in the first place? My guess what would work is some thick gasket material that doesnt shrink or expand with heat, maybe ceramic? But I also have no personal experience. Common sense if you have two different metals that will expand or contract at different rates, I guess even if they were the same metal they would also expand and shrink at different rates as their size is so different. I am pretty sure many of us cant believe people have solved all of this simple isht long before 2023. Makes you wonder if all of their priorities are not actually making good stuff but rather making stuff that is good as long as a warranty period. I bet these folks get big ol bonus's for that. It is horrible for any business model to make an indestructible product.

I think the idea is that once they warp and snap the studs, if you machine them flat again, there is no warp left in them.

Kinda like releasing the tension in grain of wood once you cut it in a certain direction.

I think the bigger issue on the RAM is that the bolts need to be larger diameter to prevent breaking/warpage, but they arent (or cant be) because of the proximity to cylinder head water jackets. Plus smaller diameter is cheaper...can't be takin food off the table of Mopar's kids :)

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
We are literally talking about a group of te rds that really havent even fixed the third brake light which was the easiest dyi fix I have ever tried.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I think the idea is that once they warp and snap the studs, if you machine them flat again, there is no warp left in them.

Kinda like releasing the tension in grain of wood once you cut it in a certain direction.

I think the bigger issue on the RAM is that the bolts need to be larger diameter to prevent breaking/warpage, but they arent (or cant be) because of the proximity to cylinder head water jackets. Plus smaller diameter is cheaper...can't be takin food off the table of Mopar's kids :)
corey found a video a while back that showed the difference in the exhaust manifolds old versus new, the old ones that didnt have the same issue. One glarring issue was the metal they took away on the new stuff, less metal means a more dramatic shrinkage and expansion rate over even the old ones, not to mention the rate which the new one moves in tampature swings over the block you screw them too. The metal they took away was also right where the screws go.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
corey found a video a while back that showed the difference in the exhaust manifolds old versus new, the old ones that didnt have the same issue. One glarring issue was the metal they took away on the new stuff, less metal means a more dramatic shrinkage and expansion rate over even the old ones, not to mention the rate which the new one moves in tampature swings over the block you screw them too. The metal they took away was also right where the screws go.

Classic bean counter BS.

Save $0.001 on every manifold, times 2 manifolds per engine, times who knows how many engines.

They weigh that against how many they think they'll need to replace under warranty, and as long as they come out ahead, it's all worth it.

I plan on milking my MaxCare Lifetime for all its worth, they've earned it.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
My brother (machinist) told me that many times in engineering they design one part to be slightly weaker than another, so that if/when it fails its in a spot that is cheap/easy to replace. That's my understanding of what Ram did with the updated manifolds, they made the bolts stronger and the manifold itself weaker, reducing the problem where the bolts snap off in the block. So now the manifolds are cracking, the bolts aren't breaking anymore. Easier to fix?

KKBB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a question. Instead of miles how often should I change my oil if I go by hours? My dealer said because I have 22% of my total hours is idle, I should go by hours. I have 861 total hours and 240 hours are idle hours. I have 139,500 mile in my truck and have had 22 oil changes.

What's your opinion?
My opinion is that your numbers are off. 139500 divided by 861 is around 162 mph...I highly doubt that is your average speed, so some number is off...by a lot!!

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Ah, shiiiiiiit - now that I got hearing aids, I heard my RF exhaust manifold ticking away tonight. Sure as hell, after I heated her up, gone.

The exhaust shop I've used in the past for some stuff said they don't want to hog material off for the reasons Mike states. Apparently there's a stiffer manifold now.

Should I be cheap and only do the right bank?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Ah, shiiiiiiit - now that I got hearing aids, I heard my RF exhaust manifold ticking away tonight. Sure as hell, after I heated her up, gone.

The exhaust shop I've used in the past for some stuff said they don't want to hog material off for the reasons Mike states. Apparently there's a stiffer manifold now.

Should I be cheap and only do the right bank?
I'd look into remflex or similar and do the side that is tickimng, but I think they also sell two packs of remflex. Reviews are good, check them out, many hemi guys say this fixes hemi tick.

Remflex exhaust gaskets will work properly the first time, every time. The Science Remflex gaskets work because they solve the two main problems associated with sealing an exhaust flange: Warping, and gasket failure. Warped Reality A common misconception is that, if you spend a lot of money for high-quality headers with thick flanges, leaks will not be an issue. In truth, a thicker flange does help, but it can’t solve the problem of warping altogether. Constant thermal cycling, especially in high performance and/or high-load environments, causes warping of header flanges and cast iron exhaust manifolds--even the exhaust flange of the cylinder head itself. Once the sealing surface is warped, leaks are imminent—and once there is a leak, pitting of the exhaust port sealing surface usually follows. A new set of average gaskets won’t fix the problem—but Remflex gaskets, with a 50% crush built in—can seal gaps as large as 1/16-inch. And unlike traditional gaskets, they won’t shrink, so they never require re-torquing. If you can’t take the heat…

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
weren't they machined in the first place? My guess what would work is some thick gasket material that doesnt shrink or expand with heat, maybe ceramic? But I also have no personal experience. Common sense if you have two different metals that will expand or contract at different rates, I guess even if they were the same metal they would also expand and shrink at different rates as their size is so different. I am pretty sure many of us cant believe people have solved all of this simple isht long before 2023. Makes you wonder if all of their priorities are not actually making good stuff but rather making stuff that is good as long as a warranty period. I bet these folks get big ol bonus's for that. It is horrible for any business model to make an indestructible product. What about exhaust bolts with springs in them??? Have a little give is all they need. Or something in that ilk, sleeves you bolt the mani too and somehow can slide a mm.
My thoughts exactly, but some of the techs on here say they won’t warp again after being machined. Haven’t this issue so can’t say from experience. Seems to me much of the increase in mpg, as mandated by government, comes from weight savings. Parts that used to be metal are now plastic and do not last as long. Metals are thinner and don’t last as long. End result, seems like everything is built to last until warranty expires, but Uncle Sam may have played a role in this dilemma.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I looked up the part number for my exhaust manifolds (well, attempted to, anyway). There are 2 sets listed, 1 set is discontinued, the one set that isn't is backordered lol

Ill reach out to my dealer but Im guessing they are gonna give me an appointment a month from now to "check for the issue", then a "sorry parts on are backorder we'll call you" and by the time I get that call, the other manifold will be busted too.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
2024 Chevelle

So Dodge discontinues the challenger and charger because of the climate change emergency (so they say), and chevy gives birth to a 1500hp gas powered muscle car, lol?
Chevy didn't release that car Mike,it's an aftermarket company that starts with a brand new Camaro,and re-skins them to look like an older Chevelle.
You can get a Challenger re-skinned to look like a 68/69 Charger or the one i like as a 71 Demon.
They are not cheap though,you'll need the big wallet to pay for any of the new toys re-skinned in carbon fibre,whether it's a Camaro or Hellcat,lol.

Scroll down a few pics to see their Hellcat reskinned as a 71 Demon,this is the one that i like.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Chevy didn't release that car Mike,it's an aftermarket company that starts with a brand new Camaro,and re-skins them to look like an older Chevelle.
You can get a Challenger re-skinned to look like a 68/69 Charger or the one i like as a 71 Demon.
They are not cheap though,you'll need the big wallet to pay for any of the new toys re-skinned in carbon fibre,whether it's a Camaro or Hellcat,lol.

Scroll down a few pics to see their Hellcat reskinned as a 71 Demon,this is the one that i like.

good info thanks brother

whew world is back in order with EV, for a minute there I thought we were going back to when things made sense.

knightjp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7