Votes: 401 14.4%
  • Valvoline Synpower

Votes: 161 5.8%
  • Mobil 1

Votes: 999 35.8%
  • Other

Votes: 664 23.8%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
And so, 6 ounces out of 7 QUARTS (ahem) is 2.7% down. i.e., sump is 97.3% full.

Close enough.

For some reason I thought I needed exactly 7 quarts now with my pacbrake and large filter but apparently not. Dumped full 7 in and still short.

Sent my PCMO 5w-20 to blackstone, can't wait for the results, should be interesting vs the other 30w I've been normally running.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Predicament: you have just filled up with HPL Euro no vii 5w-30 but didn't quite have enough quarts to reach the top of the stick. I'm about 2/3 to 3/4 up to the top.

Do you run it "as is" knowing your truck doesn't use a drop of oil to date, and just keep an eye on it,
or do you top up with HPL P+ 0w-30
or do you top up with HPL PCMO 5w-20

In other words, is it better to run a tad lower in the sump or keep it to the top with a slightly different formula/ad pack and weight? The 2 options I have are not euro ad packs and I don't know if I should mix that with the euro no vii.

I'd rather not order another quart as I don't plan to run the no vii in the future, just using up what was on my shelf.
contact them, I think in a lot of cases 5w20 doesnt need vii.

Dave from redline is on the record 10w30 and 5w20 their brand no vii.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
contact them, I think in a lot of cases 5w20 doesnt need vii.

Dave from redline is on the record 10w30 and 5w20 their brand no vii.
FWIW, it's what I remember from long ago Mobil days as well.

Then again, I can't tell the difference between a quart and a gallon anymore.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So time to charge your EV...

In home you have 2 options, level 1 and 2 charger, the fastest level 2 charger top time is 25 miles per hour of charging. The fastest only available at level 3 charging stations is 200 miles per hour, but they acknowledge it is really a half hour, it just takes way more time if you want it actually full charge. I bet a smart Chinese food restaurant will find a way to get a charger, you know how you are hungry 10 minutes after eating Chinese food? Those smarties could get your dumb az to visit their shop 3 times before your "tank" is full. One EV station here is right outside the best taco bell. The new family outing, hey kids lets go fill up the EV and get some taco bell yeah, and play frisbee, and take a walk, and then get an ice cream cone?

Do you know the hardest information to find "officially"? How long to full at a super charger. Yes you can get "hundreds of miles" in 30 minutes, but how long til FULL??? You can easily access that info for level 1 and 2 charging, but "they" really don't want you to have that info for level 3 chargers.

Unofficially they say this...

How long does it take to charge a Tesla electric vehicle (EV) from empty to full at a supercharger station. As a rule of thumb, it takes about 4 minutes to add 10% energy to a Model 3 LR battery up to 80%. It takes about 10 minutes to get from 80% to 90%, and about 20 minutes to get from 90% to 100%.

Free cookie who anyone who finds an official estimate to charge an EV at a super charger.

Wait for this one guys, another new thing, are you ready???

Idle Fees, lol.

So if you leave your EV plugged in too long, idle Fees start racking up after 5 minutes, lol.

XR6If0.gif

You eerd me, idle Fees.

.or every additional minute a vehicle remains connected to the Supercharger, it will incur an idle fee. If the vehicle is moved within five minutes, the fee is waived. Idle fees only apply when a Supercharger station is at 50% capacity or more. Idle fees double when the station is at 100% capacity.

In addition to the direct charging fees, Tesla may also impose an Idle Fee should your vehicle linger in its station after being fully charged. In the U.S., Tesla charges 50 cents per minute for cars that idle when the station is more than 50% full. This doubles to $1 per minute then the station is completely full.

Go get Chinese food, get a 25 dollar charge for the electricity and 20 bucks for idle Fees.
Mike these pesky facts are irrelevant because EVs are "green".

Yardbird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Way back, my uncle had a '59 Ford car. He always took his car to the gas station/garage a few blocks from his house for oil changes, ect.

He told his son to get 5 quarts of oil from the building and put them in his car.

His son came back in after a few minutes, and said "I can't get but 4 quarts in the car". My uncle asked what he was talking about, then his son said only 4 quarts would go in before it started running out.

Uncle went out to see what his son was talking about. His son had put the oil in the engine, instead of inside the car, and after 4 quarts, it was running out the oil filler tube.

My uncle was torn up to say the least.

When I was running a small engine shop, every chain saw that came in with a chain that hit a rock or pipe, that saw inevitably been loaned to his brother-in-law.

Another time I went and picked up an almost new Snapper mower that wouldn't start. I got it to start, and white smoke went everywhere.

Gas tank was full of kerosene. Of course, his sons must have done that.

Stefan N

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport
Engine
Wonder it they still think battery is the future :O News in Sweden says Ford Loosing $127.185 per EV, How can that be possible from a company that's been around for 100+ years :O

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Wonder it they still think battery is the future :O News in Sweden says Ford Loosing $127.185 per EV, How can that be possible from a company that's been around for 100+ years :O

holy hell

But those dummies should be getting their news from this forum instead of whatever focus group they spending money, we been on this for years now. Ford made it through many scary times, but their buying into EV policy is gonna sink their ship, and many ships, who knows maybe us going down this really mis guided path is gonna sink us all.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Did you have any piston slap on cold startups in the winter? My only worry about 5w in the winter is if I get sent up to the U.P., northern MN or ND for work.
Nope.

none. Zero

Redline 5w30 started just as quite as Amsoil SS 0W40.

I wouldn't run it with any other 5w30 tho. Not in my 6.4. She can be a picky girl.

Long, long time ago, we found out on this thread that the 6.4 was actually tested with 5w30 in it. The 0w40 call out, specifically PUP, was a plug for their friends at shell.

Last edited:

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Nope.

none. Zero

Redline 5w30 started just as quite as Amsoil SS 0W40.

I would run do it with any other 5w30 tho. Not in my 6.4. She can be a picky girl.

Long, long time ago, we found out on this thread that the 6.4 was actually tested with 5w30 in it. The 0w40 call out, specifically PUP, was a plug for their friends at shell.
I know the wifes 6.4 in her Challenger is happier on 5W-30 Redline then it was on PUP 0W-40 and Lube Gard.It doesn't get much winter use here in Alberta,but i have had to start it and use it a couple times at -20C and it's never had any piston slap with either PUP or Redline,but the lifters would rattle a bit on a cold start with PUP 0W-40,but they're dead quiet with 5W-30 Redline

knightjp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It would appear that Amsoil XL might be better than SS. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjboMOK43OY&t=1786s

I was thinking about using PUP 0W40 on my 5.7. But seeing that it gives it a slight tick on startup, nope, that is not for me. Its one of the reasons I'm trying to avoid Mobil1 0W40; even though the tick is just on initial start after an oil change and it makes the engine idle so smooth, dare I say it, arguably may be quieter than Redline.

HK1837

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
One thing I have noticed with my Ram (5.7) is if I park it on an angle, that is when it'll tick. So when I do park it nose down, I give it full throttle and crank it, ECU stops it from starting. Crank it for about 3-5sec, and then stop cranking, then start it normally. No tick.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I know the wifes 6.4 in her Challenger is happier on 5W-30 Redline then it was on PUP 0W-40 and Lube Gard.It doesn't get much winter use here in Alberta,but i have had to start it and use it a couple times at -20C and it's never had any piston slap with either PUP or Redline,but the lifters would rattle a bit on a cold start with PUP 0W-40,but they're dead quiet with 5W-30 Redline
Not sure what you have been told or what you know so pardon my ignorance from bringing absent, but PUP0W40 shears down to basically a 30W after 500-1000 miles. At least it used to. Not sure if its still like that. I dont keep up any more. The GTL base oils frequently cause more engine noise.

But for some reason the PUP line STILL produces great wear numbers despite our dyno butt predictions.

My truck was pretty noisy on it too.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
One thing I have noticed with my Ram (5.7) is if I park it on an angle, that is when it'll tick. So when I do park it nose down, I give it full throttle and crank it, ECU stops it from starting. Crank it for about 3-5sec, and then stop cranking, then start it normally. No tick.
Have you tried running 1/2 a quart extra? It completely solved that problem for me. No foam/bubbles on the dip stick either

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joshuarb87