Tailgate assist broke today

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WTM75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
That's so strange. It was literally all done in 15 minutes for me...

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Just got an email saying the new bracket is in the mail.

I was a little surprised he wanted an email with pictures and a copy of the receipt, based on what I read here. But at the end of the day, the part is on the way with really what was very little effort on my part.

I do love the assist. My only complaint is when opening other people’s tailgates, I let them slam. LOL

madtrucker2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
DeeZee is supposed to have really good customer service. Try to give them a call and see what they will do for you. Maybe something--maybe nothing--but I always give people the opportunity to say no first.
Jay

Very true I had a problem and in four days had a whole new lift package mailed to me. In the picture it looks like the little clip that goes around the outside of the ball is gone. That is what holds the end of it to the pin on the truck , maybe that feel off

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Well I didn't modify the install at all. I just used a 7/16" drill bit to remove/drill out the old rivnut (as per DeeZee's customer service rep instructions) and put the new one they sent me in...

It was pretty easy to fish the pieces out of the tailgate by removing the tailgate cables to let gravity help the pieces roll towards the back/top of the tailgate.

If it breaks again, I'll either buy the new design or attempt to engineer my own solution.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
@SitKneelBend , I assume you had to remove whole backing of the tailgate to get at the pieces or remove the cap to do it?
Just the access panel along the top back edge. Once that's removed there is plenty of room to maneuver the pieces out with the help of a telescoping magnet.

I also performed the U74 recall while I was in there...

78Staff

US Navy Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
If I need to replace mine I'll likely add that SS piece mentioned earlier from Amazon..

I guess the best PM is to make sure the stud stays snug in the side of the tailgate panel?

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine hasn’t broken yet, but I decided not to wait till it did. I ordered one from Amazon and it was the old version, I tried to return it and they said keep it and we’ll refund your money, so I have a spare old version now. I then ordered one from Advance Auto Parts with a 25% off code and free shipping final price $27.88 with tax which is about the same as Amazon. This one actually came from DeeZee and luckily it was the new version.

Today I removed the old tailgate setup and installed the updated version, fortunately the nutsert wasn’t damaged yet.

58F3F104-AA0E-4352-9683-4AA54DBABA69.jpeg

220F11F8-221C-4958-914D-802C50B5FD09.jpeg

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Mine hasn’t broken yet, but I decided not to wait till it did. I ordered one from Amazon and it was the old version, I tried to return it and they said keep it and we’ll refund your money, so I have a spare old version now. I then ordered one from Advance Auto Parts with a 25% off code and free shipping final price $27.88 with tax which is about the same as Amazon. This one actually came from DeeZee and luckily it was the new version.

Today I removed the old tailgate setup and installed the updated version, fortunately the nutsert wasn’t damaged yet.

View attachment 172360

View attachment 172361
That looks MUCH more sturdy...

78Staff

US Navy Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi

View attachment 172360

View attachment 172361

@JB1 which part number did you order, they have two listed, I wonder if one is the old version and one is the new version?

Edit - DOH nevermind only the 43301 is for the RAM :).

Last edited:

buddy guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
nice!!!i ordered mine from 4 wheel parts and it was the new kit

Reactions: JB1

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
@JB1 which part number did you order, they have two listed, I wonder if one is the old version and one is the new version?

This is how the old one comes labeled...31ae8c232b0c6d32f0c4257a3955f2f2.jpg

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Both packages were identical by looks and number, only difference was the contents

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Both packages were identical by looks and number, only difference was the contents
I hate it when they do that...

78Staff

US Navy Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Got my kit from AZ today... new style. So to replace the old design, it looks like really all we need to do is remove the existing stud, mount the plate with screw in it's place, and then re-attach the strut to the new location on the plate? IE, we don't have to remove the nutsert-like part...

buddy guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Got my kit from AZ today... new style. So to replace the old design, it looks like really all we need to do is remove the existing stud, mount the plate with screw in it's place, and then re-attach the strut to the new location on the plate? IE, we don't have to remove the nutsert-like part...

nope. if it will tighten up, the nusert is fine. another member was able to use his old one still.

Toddbigboytruck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Wow thank you guy I as going to get one but mmmmmm I think not. I thought the design was bulletproof but guess not. Thanks again