Tailgate assist broke today

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Got my kit from AZ today... new style. So to replace the old design, it looks like really all we need to do is remove the existing stud, mount the plate with screw in it's place, and then re-attach the strut to the new location on the plate? IE, we don't have to remove the nutsert-like part...

My nutsert was fine so I didn't touch it, only other thing it requires that's different is removing the rubber stop on the bed.

78Staff

US Navy Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Swapped mine over, I went ahead and swapped the strut as well since I had it, but it drops differently. Before it was a continual slow drop as soon as you opened the tailgate, with the new one it "freefalls" about 1/3 of the way and then the struct kicks in to slow it down. Not sure if that's normal, or due to the new mounting angle, or if I got a bad strut?

buddy guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
@78Staff is it a new angle? never had the old one so don't have that reference. i assume it would be different if the pin location on the gate moved forward or back further. i think mine does the same. the gate goes to about 1/3 i think but then i hear the piston start at that point. it definitely does not engage right at the start. looking at it, it doesn't appear to me or goes slower or faster at any point, but i can definitely hear piston catch a 1/2 second I think, into lowering.

78Staff

US Navy Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Slightly, the new lower mount location is further back and a bit higher - you can see it in @JB1's earlier post - https://www.ramforum.com/posts/2067457/

It may just be the way the newer ones are... the original did start slowing it down much sooner though. Or maybe I jsut got lucky with a better than avg strut the first time around.

buddy guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
yeah i opened and closed it a number of times. no way i could have told you the speed was different at any point. just heard the sound kick in consistently everytime at what seemed the same point.

Hoff

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So, my nutsert never completely tightened flush to the tailgate (operator error, most likely). When I order another one, and hopefully it's the new plate style, will it require me to remove the old nutsert in order to mount the new plate style?

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
So, my nutsert never completely tightened flush to the tailgate (operator error, most likely). When I order another one, and hopefully it's the new plate style, will it require me to remove the old nutsert in order to mount the new plate style?
I don't remember exactly how the newer style works but DeeZee will often send a repair kit for the old style for free if you call them.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Hoff

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't remember exactly how the newer style works but DeeZee will often send a repair kit for the old style for free if you call them.

Yea, so I've read... unfortunately, the original I bought was from the American Trucks site I saw on here, so it's not a DeeZee. Not sure if that's part of the reason why it never fully seated, but it is what it is. Just curious whether I'll have to drill this busted nutsert out in order to install the new plate style in its place...

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Yea, so I've read... unfortunately, the original I bought was from the American Trucks site I saw on here, so it's not a DeeZee. Not sure if that's part of the reason why it never fully seated, but it is what it is. Just curious whether I'll have to drill this busted nutsert out in order to install the new plate style in its place...
I want to say yes but I'm not positive. I may have wrote something about it in this or another thread though...

I had to drill my nursery out to replace it with a new one.

Hoff

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I want to say yes but I'm not positive. I may have wrote something about it in this or another thread though...

I had to drill my nursery out to replace it with a new one.

Yea, think I stumbled across your post you're talking about when I did a search. Think you mentioned needing a 7/16 if I remember correctly. Obviously if it needs to be done, then done it shall be. But, if I can avoid that headache of drilling it out and having to fish it out of the tailgate, then that's preferable if it's not necessary, ya know?

Appreciate ya, big fella...

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Yea, think I stumbled across your post you're talking about when I did a search. Think you mentioned needing a 7/16 if I remember correctly. Obviously if it needs to be done, then done it shall be. But, if I can avoid that headache of drilling it out and having to fish it out of the tailgate, then that's preferable if it's not necessary, ya know?

Appreciate ya, big fella...
If yours isn't already loose you may be able to re-use it.

IRSmart

I drink and I know things
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Ditch the tailgate altogether. They’re so last year lol

4847865A-43A6-4CD0-B9C4-2384436FF544.jpeg

Hoff

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If yours isn't already loose you may be able to re-use it.

It's not only that it's loose, but I never got it set secure enough for the threads to catch... It was pretty much a bust from the beginning... Definitely gonna have to be drilled out and reset with a new one, if this new plate style requires it in any way...

Ignacio Rodriguez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Someone should make a Youtube installation video of the new version. I watched a few install videos and then when I got my kit it was the newest revision. Seems like the newer version is improved.

Hookedup87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Had the same thing happen to my DeeZee. Nutsert failed. Tried to rethread the screw but it just wouldn’t grab sufficiently. Took pictures and sent to DeeZee warranty dept. They sent me a brand new unit and I was glad to see the plate style lower mount solution. Much better design. I had to drill old insert out. No biggie.

Hoff

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Had the same thing happen to my DeeZee. Nutsert failed. Tried to rethread the screw but it just wouldn’t grab sufficiently. Took pictures and sent to DeeZee warranty dept. They sent me a brand new unit and I was glad to see the plate style lower mount solution. Much better design. I had to drill old insert out. No biggie.

Glad I'm not the only one!

So, in order to use the new plate style, you HAD to drill out the old nutsert, or you just did it to clean it up?

Hookedup87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You had to drill it out because the new screw which appears to be bigger and stronger and new nutsert must go into the hole that the old nutsert was occupying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ripping r

Old&Grumpy
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
If your nutsert is good you dont have to change it. I bought the newer kit and just changed the shock and add the plate.

Hookedup87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I wasn’t gonna take the chance. Especially since the old screw wouldn’t screw in any more than a few threads and then pull out. Not sure if it was a screw issue or a nutsert issue but since they included both in the replacement kit I figured I would use it. The only thing that kinda sucked was when I drilled it out, although most of it came out onto drill bit, a little piece fell back inside of tailgate. Not a big deal but I’d be lying if I said it didn’t bother me when it happened.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk