Tailgate assist

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

alnbobby

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L I6 Cummins HO Turbo Diesel Engine
How easy is it to remove the assist? I often need to remove my tailgate to load my truck camper.

CPTII

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 2500
Engine
Hemi 6.4
So I have a 15 Ram. My kids are little and the assist makes sure the gate does not come down too fast. Without the assist the gate came down quick because it is heavy, now it slowly lowers. Sometimes it’s a pain in the butt, however, for safety with my kiddos it is a great add in that was cheap

Thornback

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
When you have several packages or grocery bags in both hands it's nice to just hit the button and watch the tailgate slowly open to full. Then after loading your stuff in the bed you use both empty hands to close and latch the tailgate.

Mudders Beast

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Best $25 spent for the aftermarket DeeZee assist for smooth lowering. The folding step ladder mod also worth it with the 4x4 higher stance.

2019RamInSC

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Years ago and i do mean years ago, I'm 72. I was puzzled by auto lights. I thought how lazy have we become that we can't turn on our lights? Really???

Then auto wipers really blew my mind! WTFO!

NOW. My Ram does this and more.

Puts the tranny in park if I forget.
Turns off any lights interior and exterior if I forget.
Hits the brakes (HARD) If I park too close to an object.
Turns off the hi-beams if a car is approaching.
Checks my tire pressure for me constantly.
Warns me as I back up if a car is approaching from the right or left.
Cleans my brake rotors of water as I drive in the rain.
Anticipates my need for emergency braking.
Moves my seat to make it easy for me to get out.

Probably another dozen I forgot to mention.

A dampened tail gate is not even worth mentioning haha. JK -:)

HAVE FUN ALL

DA Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Can someone explain to me what the hype about a tailgate assist is all about? I can literally bring it down and put it back up with the tip of my finger so what exactly is the hype about it?

Sounds to me like you have tailgate assist on your truck now. I'll guarantee you wand do the one finger trick on my 2005 SRT 10 Ram. The tailgate assists is made so the built in spring helps take the weight load off the tail gate. My new 2019 Ram has an auto release on the key fob to open it and it eases down slowly.

Magnus Sport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Got mine as a gift, installed the same damn day. Great addition as a just in case you dont mess anything up deal. My '16 tailgate would drop with such force lol

Neil E

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I bought one, thinking "I don't need this". It took me 4 months to decide to install it. Along with the wadestar blind spot mirrors, which i didn't need, this is the best $20 I spent for something I don't need.

Mystic1906

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I bought the first one for my old F-150 after almost dropping the tailgate on my young son when I didn't notice him coming up. It was my first mod/purchase for my Ram 1500 and one that I will always get if I upgrade trucks until they make it standard. It saves on the tailgate slamming open and just makes it easier to close. If you have small kids I would definitely recommend getting it installed.

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
Have installed them on all of our trucks since 2000. Installed on my wife's truck first. Turns out, tail gate dropping is a common injury for women. It is the first mod for all our trucks.

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
I never let my tailgate drop hard and hate seeing others do it but don't have to worry about it now.

CaptOchs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
How easy is it to remove the assist? I often need to remove my tailgate to load my truck camper.

The strut just pops out. There's a U-shaped clip that holds it in place. Just give it a quick jerk. I just installed one because the old one had rusted out.

Sir Ram-It

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Not worried about it dropping, more worried about getting my gate to open. It gets stuck in the closed position and I have to yank hard sometimes to get it to release. Anyone else have that issue? Cable or rods adjustable. Or maybe just needs cleaning and greased? No idea. Even dealer didn’t know. I am concerned because I have a tonneau cover that locks over the gate when the gate closes.

Michael

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not worried about it dropping, more worried about getting my gate to open. It gets stuck in the closed position and I have to yank hard sometimes to get it to release. Anyone else have that issue? Cable or rods adjustable. Or maybe just needs cleaning and greased? No idea. Even dealer didn’t know. I am concerned because I have a tonneau cover that locks over the gate when the gate closes.

I was starting to have that problem, but after I had the tailgate recall done it seems to have gone away for now.

I know the voices in my head aren’t real, but man, do they ever come up with some great ideas.

dexter

Banned
Reaction score
Can someone explain to me what the hype about a tailgate assist is all about? I can literally bring it down and put it back up with the tip of my finger so what exactly is the hype about it?

It has to do with harmonies in food. It has made the American male a wuss.

If today's male had to rush the beaches of Normandy in WWII, they wouldn't go because they would get their clothes wet and there wasn't a Starbucks in France.

Sad but true.

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It has to do with harmonies in food. It has made the American male a wuss.

If today's male had to rush the beaches of Normandy in WWII, they wouldn't go because they would get their clothes wet and there wasn't a Starbucks in France.

Sad but true.

So if you have a tailgate assist your not manly like yourself? :manos:

thkbaron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
hey if it prevents me from giving my kid a concussion you can call me a wuss all day long.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilo670