Tailgate lock recall notice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

reefer451

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So this is the 3rd outstanding recall on my '14 Ram 4x4 Hemi CC. The first one for the cruise control seemed so unlikely to ever happen and easy enough to over ride if it did that I just didn't worry about it. Then the second to make the trans shift into park if the drivers door is opened is so obnoxious that I never want that one done. Now this new one for the tail gate is something that I would like to get fixed.

Can I take it to the dealer and tell them I only want 2 of the 3 recalls done? I expect they would refuse. How prevalent are tailgate lock failures? I'd hate to dump a load on the highway but if it's like a 0.1% failure rate I might just ignore this one too.

quickster2

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Laramie 2500 4 X 4
Engine
6.4L
Yes you can refuse a recall just as I have done for the drag link one.

south7west

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 LoneStar
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You can always just install a DeeZee tailgate assist for cheap insurance so that way if your tailgate does fall, it will be a slow descent down that way it breaks nothing. Or you can be like me and take it in to have the recall done, but they forget and just claim they were never told to do it when I took my truck in to just get all recalls done and instead add a couple nice door dings instead lol

JHayez1911

US NAVY (RET)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would get the tail gate down. My kept falling down until I got that recall done. Talking about nerve racking. Driving along and that sucker just falls down.

OP
OP
reefer451

reefer451

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No interest in the DeeZee, seems like a lot of them pull out their mounting bolts, no value to me. But I guess I'll get the tailgate fixed, don't want to lose stuff out the back, it could hurt someone behind. I need to gather up all the FCA notices and call my dealer. I want to make sure they don't slip in that trans reprogramming.

Badger 13

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I found a dealer that sold me the re call part for just over a dollar and put it in myself. It is a very simple install and you can even view the procedure on the University of U tube. To me, this was way easier then dealing with the dealership.

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Its more than dumping your stuff on the road. My trailer sits close enough to the truck that the tailgate would hit the jack if it dropped. What a mess that would do to the gate and jack if it happened going down the road.

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
On a side note this is my 13th or 14th recall on my truck in 5 years. Otherwise everything has worked well with it.

OP
OP
reefer451

reefer451

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I found a dealer that sold me the re call part for just over a dollar and put it in myself. It is a very simple install and you can even view the procedure on the University of U tube. To me, this was way easier then dealing with the dealership.
Do you have the part number?

Badger 13

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yes, that is the part number that "Neon" posted. He beat me to it.

meedom

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had the problem with the tailgate dropping once in a while on and off for about a year and then all of a
sudden it just stopped, so I think after awhile something in the mechanism wears a bit and then all is well.
I haven't had the problem in over a year and a half now....

misfit77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Don't get the parking one...I can't stand it.

I was in for the cruise and dealer said I couldn't skip it and do the cruise.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Badger 13

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I think for the little effort it takes to have the tailgate fixed is just a good peace of mind thing.

meedom

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think for the little effort it takes to have the tailgate fixed is just a good peace of mind thing.
Yep I agree, I just avoid the dealership like the plague and wound up getting the Dee Zee tailgate assist and got lucky that the dropping issue just cured itself....

madtrucker2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So this is the 3rd outstanding recall on my '14 Ram 4x4 Hemi CC. The first one for the cruise control seemed so unlikely to ever happen and easy enough to over ride if it did that I just didn't worry about it. Then the second to make the trans shift into park if the drivers door is opened is so obnoxious that I never want that one done. Now this new one for the tail gate is something that I would like to get fixed.

Can I take it to the dealer and tell them I only want 2 of the 3 recalls done? I expect they would refuse. How prevalent are tailgate lock failures? I'd hate to dump a load on the highway but if it's like a 0.1% failure rate I might just ignore this one too.
it happened to my buddies on the highway he lost all his kids baseball EQ. on the road and got run over. I would fix that tailgate

duckman631

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7 K&N Cold Air Intake.
What if you’re driving with the locks locked? The tailgate then would also be locked. Will that prevent this issue till dealer can fix?

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Took mine in for 4 recalls and told them 4 different times to NOT DO THE AUTO PARK RECALL.
Those ***** did it anyway after saying they would not and imo tihis is the biggest pain in the ass . I hate this so much its total ****.
I will never go back to that dealer again lying somebitches, sad if this is how FCA dealers are .