Tailgate lock recall notice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Yep I agree, I just avoid the dealership like the plague and wound up getting the Dee Zee tailgate assist and got lucky that the dropping issue just cured itself....
Keep in mind things like this don't cure themselves, it's not IF but When it pops open. If someting falls out and causes someone to get injured or killed behind you, will you be ok with that? Just get it fixed and as for the autopark, big deal, so you have to fasten the seatbelt then sit on it if you want to backup with the door open.

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
I have the recall for the tailgate as well on my 18, but I don't want to get it done as mine has never fallen. If it aint broke don't fix it.

grizzstang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
^^^ Yours aint broke yet.

Mine wasn't either but I was pretty confident that FCA wouldn't spend the extra money unless it was necessary so I had it done.

I figured mine would decide to drop when my trailer was attached and destroy my tailgate.

madtrucker2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
What if you’re driving with the locks locked? The tailgate then would also be locked. Will that prevent this issue till dealer can fix?
This is why their is a recall it opens when its locked. When you go like past 5 miles per hour your door locks automatically lock along with tailgate, but for some reason it opens as you are driving along.

madtrucker2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Took mine in for 4 recalls and told them 4 different times to NOT DO THE AUTO PARK RECALL.
Those ***** did it anyway after saying they would not and imo tihis is the biggest pain in the ass . I hate this so much its total ****.
I will never go back to that dealer again lying somebitches, sad if this is how FCA dealers are .
why would you not do the recall the truck could take off it happened to me in a shopping center ,but realized it fast and stopped the truck. If the door is open the truck goes into park so it will not move and run over someone. Safety first could be a little kid or family member you could run over

Tsys100718

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So this is the 3rd outstanding recall on my '14 Ram 4x4 Hemi CC. The first one for the cruise control seemed so unlikely to ever happen and easy enough to over ride if it did that I just didn't worry about it. Then the second to make the trans shift into park if the drivers door is opened is so obnoxious that I never want that one done. Now this new one for the tail gate is something that I would like to get fixed.

It wasn't a recall for the park thing with the door open on my 2017 1500 and it's a BIG PITA when hooking up a trailer and having to adjust forward or back an inch or two! Does anyone know if there is an override for this?

I had the tailgate recall done on Saturday when I was in for an oil change.

GadgetWiz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Mine fell when I was parked (after the recall). I put an ice chest on the tonneau cover and the talgate fell right on my boat's front steps. $1200 repair quote. Dodge agreed to repair, but they haven't done it yet. Keeping my fingers crossed.

twooldfarmers

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie Crew 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Why not just get them all done?

The auto park update is nothing to worry about.

You can bypass it if your seatbelt is plugged in (I do this when backing my TT into it's spot at home).
You can buy dear belt extenders off eBay for about $2 each
When you want to back up unhook only the factory restraint leaving the 'extender' in the female portion of the system.
Hooked up and ready to pull .... Re-insert the seat belt into the extender and go.
I purchased a 6-pac of extenders and they take the frustration out if the day

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

bankshot

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi5.7
I left the range with my gear in the bed. I have a liner and a paragon cover. Got home and the tail gate was down. My cases were still in the bed along the rest of my gear. I have the DeeZee tubes so I didn’t hear the gate drop and the cover prevents seeing the top of the gate. Had the recall done, worth it. The auto park feature is a pain in the ass. If you want to open the drivers door to see anything in the rear of the vehicle. I understand why it was done, but in my opinion if you don’t need it, I would pass. Also if your drivers door is not closed tight, you will find yourself sitting still wondering what in hell is wrong with your truck. Can be a little embarrassing given the right circumstances.

7thday

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Its more than dumping your stuff on the road. My trailer sits close enough to the truck that the tailgate would hit the jack if it dropped. What a mess that would do to the gate and jack if it happened going down the road.

Happened to mine but warranty replaced the whole tailgate for free.

boblonben

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So this is the 3rd outstanding recall on my '14 Ram 4x4 Hemi CC. The first one for the cruise control seemed so unlikely to ever happen and easy enough to over ride if it did that I just didn't worry about it. Then the second to make the trans shift into park if the drivers door is opened is so obnoxious that I never want that one done. Now this new one for the tail gate is something that I would like to get fixed.

Can I take it to the dealer and tell them I only want 2 of the 3 recalls done? I expect they would refuse. How prevalent are tailgate lock failures? I'd hate to dump a load on the highway but if it's like a 0.1% failure rate I might just ignore this one too.
of the dozen or so people I know with trucks under the recall half of them have had tailgate problems. I have a 16 and a 17, one did, one didn't. never know.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
of the dozen or so people I know with trucks under the recall half of them have had tailgate problems. I have a 16 and a 17, one did, one didn't. never know.
Based on the way it fails its not IF but WHEN it fails. Everytime the tailgate locks it slams a tab on the latch mechanism which is what the recall prevents. If the recall fix isn't done it will fail, maybe next week, next month, or 10 years from now so why wait until you cause an accident?

Mikes578514

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi

You can bypass it if your seatbelt is plugged in (I do this when backing my TT into it's spot at home).
Because it’s a royal pain in the ****!!! Mine WILL NOT let me back a trailer into a spot without the damn door being closed

Mbrigh3

IG: Stormtrooper_5.7
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just did the tailgate one. Avoid the autopark one if you can! Every time it throws my truck in park I wanna throw my peanuts!

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi

You can turn that off your self , I turned mine on just yo see what it as all about, last year some one here showed how to do I , just go into to settings, or whatever on the radio screen,I think? I am getting the trail gat thing done today, when they do the oil, never had it fall. Recalls are better than they not doing anything, Right.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
It wasn't a recall for the park thing with the door open on my 2017 1500 and it's a BIG PITA when hooking up a trailer and having to adjust forward or back an inch or two! Does anyone know if there is an override for this?

I had the tailgate recall done on Saturday when I was in for an oil change.
Don't you have a back up camera? With mine I don't have open the door .

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
why would you not do the recall the truck could take off it happened to me in a shopping center ,but realized it fast and stopped the truck. If the door is open the truck goes into park so it will not move and run over someone. Safety first could be a little kid or family member you could run over

Ha well maybe pay attention to whats going on and you dont need it done.

Been driving since I was 14yrs old and am 51yrs old now and never had a vehicle do this and never needed it to.
I mean who gets out of the truck and leaves it in gear and running ? People that do this probably should not even be driving.

aanorm69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I wish I had had the auto park on my '14 Longhorn last year! Backed my 5th wheel into storage unit, disconnected and pulled up. I needed to get out for something. Thought I put it in park, opened the door, jumped down and the rig started backing up. Before I could get up and get my foot on the brake the drivers door hit the bollard protecting the building and wrapped the door around so it was touching the front fender. (Cummins got sum torque!)