Tailgate lock recall notice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jack67

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So this is the 3rd outstanding recall on my '14 Ram 4x4 Hemi CC. The first one for the cruise control seemed so unlikely to ever happen and easy enough to over ride if it did that I just didn't worry about it. Then the second to make the trans shift into park if the drivers door is opened is so obnoxious that I never want that one done. Now this new one for the tail gate is something that I would like to get fixed.

Can I take it to the dealer and tell them I only want 2 of the 3 recalls done? I expect they would refuse. How prevalent are tailgate lock failures? I'd hate to dump a load on the highway but if it's like a 0.1% failure rate I might just ignore this one too.
Does this recall include my:
2014 Ram 1500 SLT Quad Cab 4x4

It feels like I'm going to break my key whenever I try locking my tailgate too.

madtrucker2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ha well maybe pay attention to whats going on and you dont need it done.

Been driving since I was 14yrs old and am 51yrs old now and never had a vehicle do this and never needed it to.
I mean who gets out of the truck and leaves it in gear and running ? People that do this probably should not even be driving.
Your a grown ASS man do as you want but I did the recall for safety and I was driving by the age of 12 but has nothing to do with what you drive now

Skyjockey

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Warlock 4x4
Engine
3.6L
Then the second to make the trans shift into park if the drivers door is opened is so obnoxious that I never want that one done. Now this new one for the tail gate is something that I would like to get fixed. .
When I got my 2019 this baffled me, thought I had a broken trans trying to back out of garage.
Weird part is, now I am pulling into the garage and the last few inches I sometimes need to open the door and it drive fine?? Is this a reverse only thing?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
the last few inches I sometimes need to open the door and it drive fine?? Is this a reverse only thing?
The Auto-Park will activate if the door opens and the driver's seatbelt is not buckled. It doesn't matter if the truck is in drive or reverse.

MMM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The DeeZee assist is nice, but then you don't hear the thud when the gate drops and your stuff is dropping all over the road.
It never happened to me, but I think about it.

I think when I put my tailgate down, my sonar sometimes complains.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Your a grown ASS man do as you want but I did the recall for safety and I was driving by the age of 12 but has nothing to do with what you drive now

Ha I see what you did there..

I would do what I want about it but the assholes at Olathe dodge did what they wanted and flashed my truck when I told them not to 4 tines.

Guess I better go have all my other cars done for saftey so I dont get out of them and leave them in gear and running because no car I have ever had did this ****.

Its sad that people cant remember to do this simple task before getting out of a running car.

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
I have the recall for the tailgate as well on my 18, but I don't want to get it done as mine has never fallen. If it aint broke don't fix it.

I can certainly understand your hesitation of going into the dealer for this recall repair. If you do change your mind, please feel free to send us a private message with your VIN. We can get your appointment set up for you.

Kaitlin
Ram Cares

NormB

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500 SLT
Engine
Cummins 6.7L TD
I found a dealer that sold me the re call part for just over a dollar and put it in myself. It is a very simple install and you can even view the procedure on the University of U tube. To me, this was way easier then dealing with the dealership.

Got a part number? Youtube link?

This interests me a LOT.

I forgot to leave my bed cap lock key with the shop last time I had it in to check ball joint play (40 thousandths, close, but not exactly 60 thousandths FCA requires for replacement).

I'd rather just buy the part. I put a hose clamp on my Tacoma tailgates (owned two of them in years past) as a theft deterrent, wonder if something like this would work on the RAM.

Also do NOT want to get the Drag Link "fix" done - it's an engineering "kludge", a cheap fix for a badly designed problem, not the RIGHT fix which should be obvious to anyone who's looked at the exam/weld process.

I'd made an appointment in the spring at a local dealer to do the repair, when I showed up to the appointment, I was told sorry, there are only so many parts FCA is shipping to each dealer to do the repair and we have to wait list you.

Could've called me. To ad insult to injury, they wanted to charge me $250 for a simple oil change/filter. Nope. No thanks. Last time I ever go there. (Darcars).

Drag link parts are marked, small paint lines, I've checked the torque of the nuts, had the alignment checked (was spot on at 30k miles, no adjustments needed - this from a local tire shop I trust), had the truck for 15,000 miles, multiple 1500 mile round trips through Appalachians/cumberland gap into TN, if it hasn't come loose yet, I doubt it will.

I'll keep checking to see when the other place gets the right parts.

jack67

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This is a Canadian truck... Would that make a difference?

VinSearch.jpg

Last edited:

madtrucker2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ha I see what you did there..

I would do what I want about it but the assholes at Olathe dodge did what they wanted and flashed my truck when I told them not to 4 tines.

Guess I better go have all my other cars done for saftey so I dont get out of them and leave them in gear and running because no car I have ever had did this ****.

Its sad that people cant remember to do this simple task before getting out of a running car.
OK you had your little fit now grown talk time. What would happen lets say you bring your truck into the dealer or even another repair place. The driver who is behind the wheel of your truck with your insurance gets out and the truck runs over someone ,guess what you would be held responsible because you were aware of the fact it was a recall on it. This is why its called a safety notice recall. But you seem like hell bent on your way

JD Mark

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014, 2016, 2016
Engine
6.7, 6.4, 6.7, 5.9 in a F750
OK you had your little fit now grown talk time. What would happen lets say you bring your truck into the dealer or even another repair place. The driver who is behind the wheel of your truck with your insurance gets out and the truck runs over someone ,guess what you would be held responsible because you were aware of the fact it was a recall on it. This is why its called a safety notice recall. But you seem like hell bent on your way

Typical New Yawker...you're first name isn't Danny by any chance, is it?

bm02tj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
All you need to do is hold the brake slightly on then in gear and move it
so it knows you are in truck

jack67

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ah... that was it. So when I checked, it is recalled for the cruise control & tailgate, but not the trans shift into park?

Also shows there were several other recalls that were fixed. Then at the bottom of page shows two more needed recalls called:
CURRENT CAMPAIGNS

Incomplete
Campaign Date
October 04, 2018
FCA Campaign #
U07
Campaign Description

2013-16 DS & 2014-16 DX 8-SPEED ROTARY SHIFTER

Repair Description

For more information please refer to the Owner Recall Notification by selecting the FCA Campaign #

AND

Incomplete
Campaign Date
October 01, 2018
FCA Campaign #
U53
Campaign Description

OCCUPANT RESTRAINT CONTROL MODULE

Repair Description

For more information please refer to the Owner Recall Notification by selecting the FCA Campaign #

Quyonmob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Nah, this auto-park crap is just another bandaid for bad/stupid drivers. Can’t shift to park? Turn in your drivers licence.

How did we ever survive with manual transmissions? People paid attention. This is just another nanny for idiots of the world to protect themselves from themselves.

Hard thing to support, that is the further dumbing and numbing of drivers we have to share the road with.