Tailgate Rattle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reddington

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi folks. New guy here - purchased a 2017 Big Horn in early June. I love the truck so far, but one complaint - with the rear window open I can hear what sounds like the tailgate rattling something awful when I go over bumps. For the life of me I can't figure out what is causing this. I have to get the first oil change done soon and will ask the dealer to look into it. But I figure maybe this has happened to someone else and it's a simple fix?

zflat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Hi folks. New guy here - purchased a 2017 Big Horn in early June. I love the truck so far, but one complaint - with the rear window open I can hear what sounds like the tailgate rattling something awful when I go over bumps. For the life of me I can't figure out what is causing this. I have to get the first oil change done soon and will ask the dealer to look into it. But I figure maybe this has happened to someone else and it's a simple fix?

First things first, do you have a hitch in? If so it's probably the slop of the hitch causing it to make a ruckus. I don't have a rear window, but when I first go my truck it took me longer than I can to admit to realize my hitch was bouncing and making noise and my truck wasn't falling apart.

OP
OP
R

Reddington

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I do not have a hitch in. I'm thinking tomorrow I ride in the back and have my wife drive around so I can try and isolate the noise. It drives me crazy.

sticknstring

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I do not have a hitch in. I'm thinking tomorrow I ride in the back and have my wife drive around so I can try and isolate the noise. It drives me crazy.

Check on the studs where the tailgate latches on to. The plastic sleeves on those studs wore out quickly on my 2013 1500. It caused the tailgate to rattle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a

Hi Reddington,

Congrats on your new truck! If you decide to have your dealership take a closer look for you we would recommend going on a test drive with a service technician or advisor. This allows you to demonstrate the noise you are hearing and can lead to a quicker diagnosis. Feel free to PM our page for further assistance if needed.

Andrea
Ram Social Care Speicalist