Tailgate wont unlock

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

northy65

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My tailgate stopped working, Diagnosed as a module(its not registering the handle is being activated) .. been waiting since mid march for this part.. in this condition I cant put my soft tonneau cover on as the tailgate needs to be down to access release

so since this time I havee had the cover off and the tailgate access point off, problem is I need my tonneau cover on!!

so my question is, has anyone had any luck bypassing the locking tailgate??, I couldnt care less if the tailgate locked, I just need it to release and open,

to many electronics when mechanical worked just fine

oh Im sure others have commented calling FCA is a failure and a waste of time

thanks

audiophile

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Will it not lock/unlock with the key?

chopperman1

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Rebel
Engine
5.7L HEMI
You do know there is a "real" key in your fob that will unlock your tailgate right? If it's only the "unlock" portion of the electronic lock that's broken just unplug it.

***Nevermind*** See below post! Leaving my incorrect answer for others to learn from!

Last edited:

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
You do know there is a "real" key in your fob that will unlock your tailgate right? If it's only the "unlock" portion of the electronic lock that's broken just unplug it.
The Gen5 1500s use an all electric handle for the tailgate, there's no linkage to the latches or physical lock.
The Classic pickups have the mechanical linkage to the handle with a key lock and the lock actuator can be unplugged

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
The Gen5 1500s use an all electric handle for the tailgate, there's no linkage to the latches or physical lock.
The Classic pickups have the mechanical linkage to the handle with a key lock and the lock actuator can be unplugged
Just another terrible idea, let’s make the bed useless when our electronics fail .

Ramtop

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
6.4L
Sitting in waiting room of the Ram dealership hoping that they can get my tailgate to unlock and open. I hope they don’t need to wait for parts but time will tell.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Mine is sticky now. It registers the unlock, and it registers the "open" as I hear it doing stuff when I try to open the gate at the back, but it's stuck and I have to push on it several times while pushing the open button and eventually it falls down. I've seen other guys on YT complain about this too.

I don't know how manufactures are still scr3wing up something they've been doing for decades. New engine tech, ok, I'll give them a pass. But tailgates... I try not to complain but, moses.

Ramtop

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
6.4L
Update, have my truck back unfixed. They have ordered a wiring harness. They found a break in it somewhere.