Tapping Turn Signals w/o Removing Headlights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AzRamLover

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
All the instructions thus far seem to indicate that the grille and headlights need to come out in order to access the turn signal wires - is there another way?

2013+ w/ stock projectors

darthdzl

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Tradesman RCSB
Engine
V6
Replying to subscribe. I'm at the point where the bulbs are in fine, but I may need to install resistors too. I'd love to know as well. Awfully cramped space to work in there.

7777xm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You could dig into the larger harness, but trying to tap it that way may actually take more time then to remove the grill and lights. And more room for error.

Your best bet is to take em out. Its easier than it looks if you never done it. The main harness is kinda deep and IMHO, and its not worth screwing that up.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
A

AzRamLover

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You could dig into the larger harness, but trying to tap it that way may actually take more time then to remove the grill and lights. And more room for error.

Your best bet is to take em out. Its easier than it looks if you never done it. The main harness is kinda deep and IMHO, and its not worth screwing that up.

That's what I was afraid of - thanks!

What's your take on estimated completion time for a newbie? I have never done the whole light removal procedure but I guess it's good practice for the day when I retrofit HIDs.

7777xm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
First time, 30 minutes to an hour, from start to completion. Most struggle with the grill removal, the rest is easy!

OP
OP
A

AzRamLover

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
First time, 30 minutes to an hour, from start to completion. Most struggle with the grill removal, the rest is easy!

That's actually not too bad - I can live with that.

Any tips on the grill removal? I've read that you must pull *straight* out and protect the bumper but that's all I know.

7777xm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes, pull straight out. I grip towards the bottom side, about two horizontal slats from the bottom, and give a quick firm pull.

Same with the lights, its a straight pull back. Gripping the light is weird, but straight out as well.

Once you do it, you'll get the feel for it, and its super easy.

OP
OP
A

AzRamLover

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes, pull straight out. I grip towards the bottom side, about two horizontal slats from the bottom, and give a quick firm pull.

Same with the lights, its a straight pull back. Gripping the light is weird, but straight out as well.

Once you do it, you'll get the feel for it, and its super easy.

Cool - thanks, a bunch!

lokal907ryder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
That's actually not too bad - I can live with that.

Any tips on the grill removal? I've read that you must pull *straight* out and protect the bumper but that's all I know.

definitely don't forget to protect the bumper when removing grill! Ive found out the hard way it will scratch your bumper. just run some masking tape across the top of ur bumper under the grill. don't forget about the slide tabs under the wheel wells that hold the headlights in other then the bolts.

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I find it easiest to put one hand on the bottom/front of the grill outside to catch it and use my other hand inside to give a firm push forward with my flat palm. Just easier than trying to get a grip on the grill to pull.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orca