Test tailshaft 07 tranny

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Johnny onnit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Is it possible to bench test the tail shaft of a 4x4 tranny to know if its ok. The tranny was shot.

EvilSpirit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Not sure what you are asking. First, you mention an 07 trans. If so, the question probably be better in the 3rd gen forum, not here in the 2nd.

Next - 4x4 tranny means nothing. Manual or auto? Application?

Then, actually the "tailshaft" in a 4x4 application is in the transfer case, not the transmission.

That said - most of what we deal with here are RE46 units, which is basically a 3 speed "727" trans with an add on O/D unit. An intermediate shaft powers the add on O/D unit, which itself either has an output shaft that drives the transfer case in 4x4 applications, or a "tailshaft" in 2wd apps. As far as the trans goes - while the O/D unit is a separate unit and is serviced as such, I'm not aware of any bench tests, other than a dis-assembly and inspection.

If this brief explanation doesn't answer your question, more info is needed, possibly posted in another forum area.

OP
OP
J

Johnny onnit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sorry i meant 97 oops. So im buying old dodges w bad trannys. Ill be an expert soon enough but right now i have a tranny out of a 01. The transfer case busted and also busted the housing behind it. We always called it the tail shaft on the 2wd but its between the tranny and the transfer case. Since this is removable i could use the one off of the burnt tranny if its not burnt also. I feel i could weld the good one and be fine but if the other is good why not use it and then bolt the transfer case to it. If i new it was good

EvilSpirit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
The housing between the main transmission case and the transfer case is the O/D unit. It is relatively common for these housings to crack, and people have had varied results repairing them.

As to simply using the O/D unit from the "burnt" trans - I would not. The O/D unit could have been damaged from the main units failure or it could have been the actual cause of the failure. IMO the O/D unit should be checked or refreshed before re-use. And there is a measurement that needs to be taken when the O/D unit is installed for proper O/D piston depth when the unit is installed.

Personally if I intended to do much work on these units I would purchase a manual on them, such as the ATSG one that can be bought as a booklet or downloaded for about $40.

Good luck with your repair.

OP
OP
J

Johnny onnit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey thx. I hadnt had time to do the research but figured there was a **** hpack in there. Is this manual available at the auto parts store

EvilSpirit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
The ones I had I bought off the ATSG website. I don't know who else carries them. Sold mine when I retired.