The 6.4 HD Hemi Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Koredova

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
New here and just finished reading all 210 pages of this thread. Took me a couple days to get through but there is a lot of great info here. Last week I ordered a 2015 Ram 2500 Big Horn CC 4X4 long bed. Spec'd it out to exactly what I wanted but I have been going back and forth on the rear axle ratio choice. I ordered it with 4.10s but am thinking that I maybe should have stuck with the 3.73s.

Seems like a number of owners say "I have 3.73s but if I bought it again I would get 4.10s." I don't really tow anything right now but also don't want to be limited if I ever have to in the future. I plan to keep the truck for awhile and could possibly put bigger tires on it down the road so I am trying to cover all bases. I live where the terrain is rather hilly and have a 12 mile commute every day so I don't typically put a lot of miles on, especially highway miles. Like all of us I am looking for good acceleration and reasonable mpg. How much do 4.10s affect the mpg vs 3.73s? I have read anywhere from 4mpg to less than 1mpg. Anybody with 4.10s wish they had 3.73s? Am I crazy for wanting 4.10s?

steadly2004

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD 6.7
New here and just finished reading all 210 pages of this thread. Took me a couple days to get through but there is a lot of great info here. Last week I ordered a 2015 Ram 2500 Big Horn CC 4X4 long bed. Spec'd it out to exactly what I wanted but I have been going back and forth on the rear axle ratio choice. I ordered it with 4.10s but am thinking that I maybe should have stuck with the 3.73s.

Seems like a number of owners say "I have 3.73s but if I bought it again I would get 4.10s." I don't really tow anything right now but also don't want to be limited if I ever have to in the future. I plan to keep the truck for awhile and could possibly put bigger tires on it down the road so I am trying to cover all bases. I live where the terrain is rather hilly and have a 12 mile commute every day so I don't typically put a lot of miles on, especially highway miles. Like all of us I am looking for good acceleration and reasonable mpg. How much do 4.10s affect the mpg vs 3.73s? I have read anywhere from 4mpg to less than 1mpg. Anybody with 4.10s wish they had 3.73s? Am I crazy for wanting 4.10s?
You're not crazy. I didn't find a 6.4 with 4.10's at the dealership I was looking at. That helped me go for the cummins. If they had a black appearance group with 6.4 hemi and 4.10 I may have gone for that instead. [emoji106]

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
you will be fine with 4:10"s.. on a plus note ur mds will activate more saving u mpg

hemi1282

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram Tradesman
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Just picked up my 2015 2500 6.4. I need opinions on magnaflow 22inch long 3.5"in/out (part#12909) muffler with stock res on. Do u guys think that will be too loud?
received_892426304108972.jpeg

I have a 22" magnaflow it wasn't loud at first but I think it has gottin louder after about 5 months, I've watch a video of me just driving around and then one from a couple days ago where I was playin in some wet grass ya I can say its gottin louder

RAMYOU

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I have a 22" magnaflow it wasn't loud at first but I think it has gottin louder after about 5 months, I've watch a video of me just driving around and then one from a couple days ago where I was playin in some wet grass ya I can say its gottin louder

Your resonator is deleted right? I've watched your videos. Your truck sounds mean as hell. I'm actually going for the same sound. You also said somewhere in this thread that your diff was leaking oil, did u have it checked out? Was it something serious or just nothing?

RAMYOU

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4

I just bought my 2015 2500 6.4 black edition with 4.10s. I will be putting on 37s so I kinda have to have 4.10s. For me its not about miles per gallon its about smiles per gallon bro.:):):):):)

Megazor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.73 or 4.10

If you ordered the 4.10 great...The one thing I hate I didn't order with mine but will fix if the wife lets me go to 37s. Currently thanks to the DOD I live in NM but back at home in SD I miss the 4.10 gears in the hills.

I as well have been stocking these pages about the 6.4. Last October I traded my 2013 JK Rubicon for a 2014 Mega Cab 6.4 (Plan was 2 kids... a third was blessed to us). The Jeep was my fourth jeep (93 YJ, 97TJ, and 09 JK) but due to my family growing I needed more space. I now have 5 PAXs (peps/1dude/1wife/3kiddos) and 2 dogs. The only thing I would change about mine is the gearing. I have the 3.73 and would have rather had the 4.10. My buddy has the 4.10 gears in a CC and on the highway gets better mpg then I do. This is mostly because he stays in MDS longer than I do. With CB radios we talked over mpg on a 3 hours road trip. Between my truck being heavier (also have an A.R.E. topper now; not pictured) and his 4.10 gears he got about 1.6 mpg better than I did on the same 200 (ish) mile trip (400)both ways. :mad3:

When we drive from home to work (1.2 mile trip) we get about the same depending on idle time.

By the way; Thanks to everyone for the information and if anyone was wondering, my 5 year old son picked the user name. ( I realized what it was a few weeks ago). For now I have a few old pictures until the weather is better. :favorites13:

Attacked are a few pictures of the truck, one of the jeep, and one of my D-Max. In the jeep picture is my family trailer I steal from my parents from time to time (Cougar Fifth Wheel). The Ram 6.4 in the Black Hills of South Dakota will tow it almost as well as the 09 D-Max of my Step Dad (Ram's interior is 100X's better)!!! I also towed it with my old 2011 D-Max. (The D-Max dragged the trailer over the hills at whichever speed I wanted (85-100mph) ... same as a Cummins.., but I only tow it when on leave.) A conservative person will not care which engine is working. If drag racing with a load is your style the Cummins or D-Max will get it done. I actually prefer the slower speed of 55 going through the hills with the fam. (Besides the Ram is way sexier than the D-Max or P-Stroker and when I when I pump gas into it and people freak out priceless~

Hoping to remove some chrome soon. If anyone is interested in the door strips let me know. I'll charge shipping only... once I remove them when it isn't snowing.

P.S. This is my first post but I check this forum twice daily!

Attachments

• truck1.jpg
    truck1.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 118
  • truck2.jpg
    truck2.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 111
  • truck3.jpg
    truck3.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 110
  • jeep home last.jpg
    jeep home last.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 137
  • DMax.jpg
    DMax.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 122

Koredova

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
3.73 or 4.10

You're not crazy. I didn't find a 6.4 with 4.10's at the dealership I was looking at. That helped me go for the cummins. If they had a black appearance group with 6.4 hemi and 4.10 I may have gone for that instead. [emoji106]

Thanks. The Cummins is a great engine and will likely hold its resale value better. The roughly $6700 difference in price and the current price of diesel was enough to sway me to the 6.4.

I just bought my 2015 2500 6.4 black edition with 4.10s. I will be putting on 37s so I kinda have to have 4.10s. For me its not about miles per gallon its about smiles per gallon bro.:):):):):)

The 6.4 with 4.10s definitely has the highest spg. Ram should put that on the spec sheet. :)

If you ordered the 4.10 great...The one thing I hate I didn't order with mine but will fix if the wife lets me go to 37s. Currently thanks to the DOD I live in NM but back at home in SD I miss the 4.10 gears in the hills.

Thanks for the feedback. That is a sweet truck. Love the Megacab. Anyone know why they de-rate the HP and Torque on those?

Anyone with 4.10s have an avg mpg number?

Last edited:

SETEX 6.4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4

I as well have been stocking these pages about the 6.4. Last October I traded my 2013 JK Rubicon for a 2014 Mega Cab 6.4 (Plan was 2 kids... a third was blessed to us). The Jeep was my fourth jeep (93 YJ, 97TJ, and 09 JK) but due to my family growing I needed more space. I now have 5 PAXs (peps/1dude/1wife/3kiddos) and 2 dogs. The only thing I would change about mine is the gearing. I have the 3.73 and would have rather had the 4.10. My buddy has the 4.10 gears in a CC and on the highway gets better mpg then I do. This is mostly because he stays in MDS longer than I do. With CB radios we talked over mpg on a 3 hours road trip. Between my truck being heavier (also have an A.R.E. topper now; not pictured) and his 4.10 gears he got about 1.6 mpg better than I did on the same 200 (ish) mile trip (400)both ways. :mad3:

When we drive from home to work (1.2 mile trip) we get about the same depending on idle time.

By the way; Thanks to everyone for the information and if anyone was wondering, my 5 year old son picked the user name. ( I realized what it was a few weeks ago). For now I have a few old pictures until the weather is better. :favorites13:

Attacked are a few pictures of the truck, one of the jeep, and one of my D-Max. In the jeep picture is my family trailer I steal from my parents from time to time (Cougar Fifth Wheel). The Ram 6.4 in the Black Hills of South Dakota will tow it almost as well as the 09 D-Max of my Step Dad (Ram's interior is 100X's better)!!! I also towed it with my old 2011 D-Max. (The D-Max dragged the trailer over the hills at whichever speed I wanted (85-100mph) ... same as a Cummins.., but I only tow it when on leave.) A conservative person will not care which engine is working. If drag racing with a load is your style the Cummins or D-Max will get it done. I actually prefer the slower speed of 55 going through the hills with the fam. (Besides the Ram is way sexier than the D-Max or P-Stroker and when I when I pump gas into it and people freak out priceless~

Hoping to remove some chrome soon. If anyone is interested in the door strips let me know. I'll charge shipping only... once I remove them when it isn't snowing.

P.S. This is my first post but I check this forum twice daily!
Very nice truck!
Looks a lot like mine!

SETEX 6.4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Thanks. The Cummins is a great engine and will likely hold its resale value better. The roughly $6700 difference in price and the current price of diesel was enough to sway me to the 6.4.

The 6.4 with 4.10s definitely has the highest spg. Ram should put that on the spec sheet. :)

Thanks for the feedback. That is a sweet truck. Love the Megacab. Anyone know why they de-rate the HP and Torque on those?

My overall mpg over 10,000 miles with city and highway mix is just under 12 mpg.
Not great but I don't baby it and it gets very good smg!
I've averaged as high as 16 on the highway and as low as 8 pulling a trailer.
I do mostly city driving and generally average about 11 around town.
2014 6.4 mega with 4:10's stock 18's

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins

Somewhere in this thread it was mentioned but it is not DE rated, it is just rated at a different rpm because of the class of vehicle it is. The engine puts out the same exact power, it is just rated differently.

Koredova

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Somewhere in this thread it was mentioned but it is not DE rated, it is just rated at a different rpm because of the class of vehicle it is. The engine puts out the same exact power, it is just rated differently.

Thanks for the clarification. My memory can only hold about 150 pages of 6.4 data. ;-)

Koredova

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
My overall mpg over 10,000 miles with city and highway mix is just under 12 mpg.
Not great but I don't baby it and it gets very good smg!
I've averaged as high as 16 on the highway and as low as 8 pulling a trailer.
I do mostly city driving and generally average about 11 around town.
2014 6.4 mega with 4:10's stock 18's

I am hoping it will be a little better than 11-12mpg but it is a lot of steel to move down the road.

Anybody with 3.73s who does mostly city driving seeing a big difference?

ammo

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I do. It's not a lot better, I see 12-13 around town. And I'm anywhere from 16-19 on the highway depending on speed and wind conditions.

SETEX 6.4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I am hoping it will be a little better than 11-12mpg but it is a lot of steel to move down the road.

Anybody with 3.73s who does mostly city driving seeing a big difference?
Mine is heavy as well! I have Ramboxes and always carry enough gear and tools to get me out of most any situation. Even have tools in the mega cab section. My friends call me MacGyver. The most prepared guy they know. I took my truck to the scales and it weighed 8,300 lbs without me in it. City driving kills the mpg and that's what I mostly do. That is a lot of weight to get going in stop and go driving. That is another reason i decided to go with 4:10 gears. I suspect i would probably get worse mileage if i had the 3:73's add the engine would have to work harder with the reduces fear reduction.
Mine is built more like a sport utility truck. A suberban with a bed is what i like to call it.
Just food for thought!

SETEX 6.4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
My mpg numbers are all hand calculated figures. The evic will generally read around 1.5 mgh higher than I am actually getting.

SETEX 6.4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I do. It's not a lot better, I see 12-13 around town. And I'm anywhere from 16-19 on the highway depending on speed and wind conditions.
Are those hand calculated numbers or what the evic is reading?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
funwrecker