The 6.4 HD Hemi Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Guyinakron

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500
Engine
What are your mpg so far before break in

Having owned the truck now for several weeks and the weather is above zero, my mileage has increased from 11.2 to around 14 mpg (mostly highway). Hope to see further improvement.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 6.4
Love the power! Actually I'm impressed with the gas mileage. Just traded a 6.0 vortec for the hemi. Hemi gets better mileage by almost 4mpg!!
Happy, happy, happy!!

Olli

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4 CC
Engine
Tradesman,

What sort of mpg are you seeing?

Olli

hounddog

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 laramie 2500 credit cab 4x4 cummins
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Tradesman,

What sort of mpg are you seeing?

Olli

Agree, would very much like to know this.

Half-heartedly considering the 6.4 as a possible option over the CTD for the truck I am readying to buy.

Donelam304

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 6.4
Here is the milage write-up Olli got on his.

I just came back from a 45 minute or so drive of a 2500 4x4 Laramie 6.4L.

I'm very impressed. Seating position was excellent. The ride with the coils is very impressive. I have had 2 F250s (4x4 Crew Cab) and currently drive an F150 (4x4 CrewCab). The RAM is much firmer than the F150 (I was expecting that) but much, much smoother than an F250. I did not experience any of the rear end wanting to skip or jump when going over a rough spot with some speed as what happens with the F250. Those coils really do a fantastic job. Now for the 6.4L Hemi. It is a very smooth and powerful engine. The truck feels very strong and responsive. I was hoping to hear a little more Hemi "growl" when accelerating. It sounds nice when accelerating and you can really feel the VVT and dual runner intake doing its thing as you approach 4K rpm with a strong throttle input .On the hwy it just purrs quietly. I did not notice the MDS. Its' operation is quite seamless.

I set the cruise @ 67 mph. The hwy was not table top flat by any means and I was seeing 16-18 mpg. I think that it would be reasonable to predict that the truck should be able to muster 16-17, maybe a snick more on an extended hwy drive @ 67 mph. ( That is what my '11 F250 6.7L diesel got). I can imagine the 6.4L Hemi being able to have a combined average of 13-14 mpg. My F150 Ecoboost gets 17 on extended hwy drives and overall averages 15 mpg. If I do a lot of in town driving I can avg. only 14 mpg.

The 6.4L Hemi deserves to be looked at by anyone that is in the market for a 3/4 ton truck. Especially if you have only modest towing needs or only tow once in a while. Definitely if you don't do a lot of towing in higher elevations.

I have a feeling that I will be placing an order this week and I never thought that I would own a 3/4 ton gasser.

Olli

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (SM-N900V) via taptalk...

Donelam304

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 6.4
Here is The write-up on milage I done on mine at 900 miles. I am now at 3,700 miles and there is no real change in it as of yet. I did however get to drive it on much flatter ground and got just over 15mpg. But here where I live and go to and from work it's more mountainous.

Here is what I got when towing some things when I first got mine.

Here is my input. I have a 2014 2500 4X4 CC and I have ran a few tanks of fuel thru it so far. I am at 900 miles on it in just over a week. On mid grade fuel with ethanol that's winter grade, I am averaging about 11mpg. On 91 octane fuel without ethanol I am getting 15mpg. Big difference there. But the non ethanol fuel is ¢. 40 more per gallon. Not sure on the benefits of the gains yet. Haven't took a trip yet, all my miles have been on city, backwoods, and some 4 lane highways here in the mountains of West Virginia.

On the power. Well yes it does have a lot of get up an go. The Ford 6.2 can't even compete. And well, the Chevy/GMC 6.0 isn't even worth mentioning. When you punch it. Yes even with the traction control on it will break the tires free very easily. And when the traction control is off, wow. Lets just say it will do donuts in a heartbeat. "WORD OF CAUTION HERE" if you are on wet roads, do not turn off the traction control and then punch it. Lol. It's a handful... And will go sideways and spin around on you in a blink of an eye.

On towing. With a 12,000lbs load got right at 10mpg. No squat in the rear and I had about 800lbs of tongue weight.

I am using a class V hitch with a 6" drop to level our my trailer. It is capable of 2,000 lbs tongue weight and 18,000 lbs towing weight. I t is also a 2 ½ reliever instead of the 2". That way I do not have to use the 2" to 2 ½" adapter. You also have to get different balls. The pin on the hitch is 1 ½" instead of 1".

hemi1282

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram Tradesman
Engine
Hemi 6.4
What's up all, hey I just got one of these trucks yesterday freaking love it but how the hell do u disable seatbelt chime, have any done it yet?

NewBlackDak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I bought one Saturday, and though I would add my $.02. I had a Titan, which has exceptional power and payload capacity for a half ton. Here, I'm comparing it directly to the Titan since I have been in an Armada/Titan for 6 years.
Power: It is strong. Not quite as peppy, but it's a smother and has more consistent power delivery. It's almost too easy to break the rear loose.
Mileage: Burned a half tank of gas yesterday, and the mileage looks nearly identical so far.
Ride: the ride is a tiny bit firmer, but much more controlled.
Comfort: The seats and seating surface are much nicer, and the cab is silly quiet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Olli

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It is worth noting for those that are shopping that the 6.4L gets de-rated to 367HP down from 410HP in the MegaCab configuration.

That makes NewBlackDak's comments on how the engine feels "strong" that much more impressive.

Olli

Donelam304

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 6.4
the 6.4L gets de-rated to 367HP down from 410HP in the MegaCab configuration
Olli

Why is the 6.4L de-rated in the mega cab. I haven't seen that anywhere. I almost ordered one in the mega cab and wished I would have have but would have been pissed to find this out afterwards... Lol.

Jonthefireman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 SLT 4X4
Engine
Hemi 6.4
So I'm at around 600 miles and I must say I absolutely love this truck! I thought it would be hard to love any truck more than my '09 Ram 1500, but this one takes the cake! So...I'm getting around 13 mpg right now and that's 50% highway and 50% city driving. I've got a trip to Santa Fe coming up in a couple weeks, so it will be interesting to see what I get then.

Jonthefireman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 SLT 4X4
Engine
Hemi 6.4
BTW.....do you guys think it's prudent to do an oil change prior to the trip, or wait and do a change after? I usually like to get rid of the "break in oil" around the 1500 mile mark, but if I wait until after the trip I'll be well over that. I used Mobil 1 in my old Ram but I'm thinking of going with Amsoil in the 6.4.....thoughts??

Donelam304

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 6.4
According to my dealership and the manual, the oil being a synthetic does not need changed till 10,000 miles. The oil in our trucks is 0W40 or something along that line.

Jonthefireman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 SLT 4X4
Engine
Hemi 6.4
According to my dealership and the manual, the oil being a synthetic does not need changed till 10,000 miles. The oil in our trucks is 0W40 or something along that line.

Yeah, I know they say you can go that far before changing....but I just can't do it! Call it OCD or just old habits, but I still religiously change every 5000. I'll probably just stick with Mobil 1 and Wix filters, I had great success in my previous Ram.

Donelam304

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 6.4
I'd at least stay with the recommended weight. In my previous vehicles I ran full synthetic in my trucks and at 150,000 miles it still pursuit like a kitten. Just wish the transmissions would hold up like the motors. Lol.

Olli

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Why is the 6.4L de-rated in the mega cab. I haven't seen that anywhere. I almost ordered one in the mega cab and wished I would have have but would have been pissed to find this out afterwards... Lol.

My printed brochure under the heading of "2014 RAM 2500/3500 Buyer's Guide" states "367Hp Mega Cab".

I just downloaded the latest version and it now states;

6.4L HEMI V8 gas engine with MDS / 6-speed automatic (66RFE)
410 hp/429 lb-ft of torque (370 hp 3500 Mega Cab® only)

Count on best-in-class[1] gas horsepower
from the 6.4-liter HEMI V8: 410 hp (and
370 hp for 3500 Mega Cab® only). It's
the ideal for acceleration and highway
merging and cruising, even under the
heaviest loads.

In my printed brochure it states; ...(and 367 hp for Mega Cab)

So clearly, only the 3500 Mega gets derated. And Ram is now making that distinction.

As far as the oil goes. I am a bit of a nut job in that regard. I would go 3000 or so on the initial fill. The oil requirements are pretty clear though. 0W40 meeting Chrysler spec MS-12633. Pennzoil Ultra 0W40 synthetic (factory fill) My dealer stocks it. Mopar 0W40 68171066GA (1L) There is a Mobil 1 0W40 European Formula but I couldn't find that it met the Chrysler MS-12633 spec. There is also the European Formula Castrol Edge 0W40, again not sure if it meets the Chrysler spec. I use Amsoil products in my cars as well but Amsoil does not make a 0W40.

0W-40 Synthetic Oil | Mobil 1™ 0W-40

From the RAM owners manual;

Engine Oil Viscosity – 6.4L Engine
Use Pennzoil UltraTM 0W40 engine or equivalent
MOPAR oil meeting the Chrysler Material Standard
MS-12633 for use in all operating temperatures.
The engine oil filler cap also shows the recommended
engine oil viscosity for your engine. For information on
engine oil filler cap location, refer to the “Engine Compartment”
in this section.
Synthetic Engine Oils
You may use synthetic engine oils provided the recommended
oil quality requirements are met, and the recommended
maintenance intervals for oil and filter changes
are followed

Olli

Last edited:

Olli

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well cross the Castrol European Formula 0W40 off of the list. I just contacted Castrol and they told me that it does not meet MS-12633. Nor do they have an oil that does.

Here is the on line chat;

You are now chatting with 'AL'

AL: Thank you for contacting Castrol North America. How may I assist you today?

Oliver: Castrol 06518 EDGE 0W-40 SPT European Formula. Does it meet Chrysler Spec MS-12633? I can not find any information about this oil on your website.

AL: The Castrol Edge with SPT 0W-40 does not meet Chrysler Spec MS-12633. What is your application ?

Oliver: 2014 RAM 2500 6.4L Hemi requires the use of 0W40 meeting MS-12633

AL: Ok, in this case unfortunately we do not have an oil meeting that requirement. We would recommend contacting Dodge to ensure you service it with the correct oil.

AL: Is there anything else I can assist you with today?

Oliver: Thank you for your time.

AL: Have a great day! Castrol appreciates your business!

Olli

hemi1282

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram Tradesman
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I picked up the megacab Saturday it's got plenty of power imo more than the 2011 5.7, this thing a smoke the tires on dry payment and couldnt get 2011 to even break loose, I'm getting 15mpg at 65 on hwy it went down to 14 in city but goes back up this thang is awesome done put 700 miles on it n two days been enjoying it

Olli

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I called the Mobil 1 tech line. They do not have an oil that meets MS-12633. They told me that their 0W40 has not been tested to those specifications.

So, at this time, it looks like only the Pennzoil Ultra (or the Mopar packaged version) meets MS-12633.

The Ultra was supposedly formulated in conjunction with Chrysler/SRT engineers and Pennzoil. It sounds like they came up with a new specification that would ensure exclusivity until other oil companies can test to the new specification and then re-label their product. From the perspective of maintaining the warranty it looks like you have to use the Ultra.

I do know that some SRT guys use the 0W40 Mobil 1. Rumor has it that it used to be the factory SRT fill.

http://www.specialtylubes.com/catalog/product/view/id/4/s/pennzoil-ultra-0w-40/

PENNZOIL ULTRA™ 0W-40

Ultra-Class Full Synthetic

The motor oil that helps keep high-performance engines clean and protected so they perform better.

Pennzoil® synthetic technology has taken synthetics to a new level with the creation of an ultra-thin motor oil designed specifically to help keep high-performance and luxury engines as close as possible to factory clean. Pennzoil Ultra™ 0W-40 is the only motor oil trusted to be factory fill in every Chrysler® SRT8® HEMI® engine, and the new 2013 SRT® Viper®.4 And it's the exact same oil that Team Penske uses right-out-of-the-bottle in the IZOD IndyCar Series.

Olli