This is interesting using ammonia as an energy source

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
W

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Kind of curious which moderator thinks this should be hidden in the Lounge thread.
How about putting it back where i orginally posted it,as i don't think it fits in this thread

canadiankodiak700

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L Pentastar
Kind of curious which moderator thinks this should be hidden in the Lounge thread.
How about putting it back where i orginally posted it,as i don't think it fits in this thread
I'm not a mood here, but the lounge is pretty much exactly where that belongs. It's an off topic article

OP
OP
W

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I'm not a mood here, but the lounge is pretty much exactly where that belongs. It's an off topic article
I tend to disagree,i think the Garage area or Other Vehicle Discussions are better area's,as that's where the other off topic fuel or electric vehicle discussions currently reside.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Back in the late 1970s
There was a Chicken Rancher that i ran into quite often, his ranch was close to the California/Mexico Border

He drove a Rambler Wagon & for fuel he burned Chicken Manure

Ammonia is created when the nitrogen in poultry manure is broken down by bacteria. It impacts poultry bedding, litter and the overall air quality in chicken houses. The concentration of ammonia in poultry housing is exacerbated by environmental conditions, such as high temperatures and moisture.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
IIRC, Caterpillar played around with this some 15-20 years ago and nothing much came of it because it works very well in a very certain load range...and then sucks if the load is too low or too high. If you have a known constant demand, it works and is economical. But earthmovers don't, and cars don't either. Dual fuel set ups exist where gas or hydrogen or something is mixed at the low end or high end to keep it running, but I don't think anyone has made a commercially viable single fuel set up for a vehicle.

Just because it moves doesn't mean anybody wants one, and just because it's 'carbon neutral' doesn't mean it passes emissions for smog rules and the like. But this dude didn't just come up with something nobody with money or backing has thought of before. Big players have been tinkering with it for a long time to naught, and there's no way a company making tractors or earthmovers would sleep on something that radically reduced operating costs over competitors.

OP
OP
W

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
IIRC, Caterpillar played around with this some 15-20 years ago and nothing much came of it because it works very well in a very certain load range...and then sucks if the load is too low or too high. If you have a known constant demand, it works and is economical. But earthmovers don't, and cars don't either. Dual fuel set ups exist where gas or hydrogen or something is mixed at the low end or high end to keep it running, but I don't think anyone has made a commercially viable single fuel set up for a vehicle.

Just because it moves doesn't mean anybody wants one, and just because it's 'carbon neutral' doesn't mean it passes emissions for smog rules and the like. But this dude didn't just come up with something nobody with money or backing has thought of before. Big players have been tinkering with it for a long time to naught, and there's no way a company making tractors or earthmovers would sleep on something that radically reduced operating costs over competitors.
You might want to watch the whole video .

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
You might want to watch the whole video .

What do you think I missed?

His notion that only "nitrogen and water" come out of the tailpipe is true, but doesn't mention the form the nitrogen comes out in is Nitrogen Oxide. Saying it's not a pollutant is simply a lie. It's a main contributor to smog and acid rain.

Riding down the road at a low speed briefly is not exactly a proof of concept, nor prove the market wants it in a variable load engine.

He's absolutely right it's used in jet engines, etc. Generally as a dual fuel, as I already talked about.

There's literally nothing new in his video other than, I suppose, his conspiracy theories about why ammonia is "kept down" despite listing where it's already used that are, apparently, immune to being kept down. IF his technology was the secret sauce, CAT or someone would buy the patent and make him wealthy yesterday. They have spent a significant amount of time and talent trying to get it right.

OP
OP
W

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
What do you think I missed?

His notion that only "nitrogen and water" come out of the tailpipe is true, but doesn't mention the form the nitrogen comes out in is Nitrogen Oxide. Saying it's not a pollutant is simply a lie. It's a main contributor to smog and acid rain.

Riding down the road at a low speed briefly is not exactly a proof of concept, nor prove the market wants it in a variable load engine.

He's absolutely right it's used in jet engines, etc. Generally as a dual fuel, as I already talked about.

There's literally nothing new in his video other than, I suppose, his conspiracy theories about why ammonia is "kept down" despite listing where it's already used that are, apparently, immune to being kept down. IF his technology was the secret sauce, CAT or someone would buy the patent and make him wealthy yesterday. They have spent a significant amount of time and talent trying to get it right.
I'm not the author of the video,so ranting at me isn't doing you much good,lol. Why don't you make your comments with your concerns, on his video,there is a "comment" section.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
I'm not the author of the video,so ranting at me isn't doing you much good,lol. Why don't you make your comments with your concerns, on his video,there is a "comment" section.

You seemed to think I hadn't watched the video, so I was curious as to what you thought I missed. I gave you, and anyone else interested, a bit of background on ammonia as an engine fuel, where's it's currently used, and why it isn't used more widely. Odd thing to see as ranting, but ok. If you want to believe he's cracked the code and is being held down by the man, knock yourself out. Or do about 15 minutes of research and see why that's BS. Dude's got something to sell and/or is self delusional. Not sure why I'd waste my time engaging with the "news channel" there.

Oliver Closehauf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Laramie
Engine
Cummins 5.9
So, I didn't watch the video or read all of these posts, but I was talking investment opportunities with a guy I know back around Christmas and one thing I looked at was Ammonia as fuel for shipping. I can't remember the name of the company but they were building a bunch of Ammonia distilling(?) and storage facilities near sea ports because it's much greener than diesel, and the expectation is shipping will make the move, if it hasn't started already.