Thoughts on Flowmaster

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SilverSingleCab

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey guys

Bought a 5.7 RCSB Ram 1500 recently. Looking to upgrade my exhaust. What I WANT is something with a nice old-school muscle sound that has a good roar when you step on it (some hp gain is nice too). What I DON'T want is a loud-all-the-time exhaust that's going to drive me nuts with constant droning and make me look/sound like an a-hole to pedestrians.

That being said, I like all the sound clips I hear of Flowmaster's American Thunder series exhaust system. On paper, it's the right amount of volume without all the drone. Can anyone attest to that? I'd hate to spend the money on an exhaust system and then hate it bc of interior drone. Am I better off with just the American Thunder muffler vs the cat-back, or a different system all together? Let me hear your guys' thoughts and experiences.

Thanks!

Simpleman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've installed a lot of different brand catbacks and Flowmaster is kinda to loud and rot out quick. on my ram I love the magnaflow catback has a nice sound and will last a long time. borla is good to

Hasek

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This is the TotalFlow i installed.
Has a bit of a drone in the 1500-2k range, i think its from the MDS being on while cruising, but with the radio on at 20 you cant hear it at all and it goes away anytime any load is put on the engine

ecbartosh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have the American Thunder on my 2011 Ram 5.7 for a little over a year now. As soon as I bought the truck I put it on because I've always loved flowmaster sound. I love it and put it on in my drive way in a couple hours.

Sent from my LGL722DL using Tapatalk

OP
OP
SilverSingleCab

SilverSingleCab

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the American Thunder on my 2011 Ram 5.7 for a little over a year now. As soon as I bought the truck I put it on because I've always loved flowmaster sound. I love it and put it on in my drive way in a couple hours.

Did you go with the full cat-back or just the muffler? Any drone at all?

ecbartosh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just the muffler and no drone that I can tell.

Sent from my LGL722DL using Tapatalk

ShortRAM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I have an appointment this afternoon to replace the Flowmaster on my RT with a real muffler. I can hear my stereo in town with the volume on 10. At 75 in the interstate, I have to have it above 30. I'll post again after the new muffler to let you know if the drone is gone.

gdawg55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've had a couple of Flowmaster mufflers on my truck. The 50HD and the Super 40. Both sounded really good. From what you describe, the 50HD will be what you're looking for. Sounds good, not super loud, and low to no drone.

2014RAM1500owner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a Borla XR1 muffler with the factory resonators and it sounds great. No drone at any RPM and louder than magnaflow with similar build quality. Plus it’s a straight flow through design. Every flowmaster I have owned has had drone in some way shape or form. It’s the design of the chambered muffler just lends itself to a unique sound but resonance in the form of drone.

Last edited:

ShortRAM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
OK, back from the muffler shop. Flowmaster 50 Series.jpg CherryBomb.jpg The "muffler" they removed was a Cherry Bomb that looks very similar to the Flowmaster 10 series. Basically, the only thing it did was combine one pipe from the engine with 2 pipes going to the rear of the truck. It was replaced with a Flowmaster 50 Series. It sounds great from outside the truck and my stereo is totally listenable on the interstate with the volume at 16. I am VERY happy with the change, as it no longer drones but it still sounds good enough to make me smile.

OP
OP
SilverSingleCab

SilverSingleCab

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
@ShortRAM Sweet! I work at an off-road shop and it just so happens a Ram came in today with that same Cherry Bomb "muffler" and I thought it was a 10 series at first. I checked it out of course for a reference and it's WAY too loud! I'm sure it drove you nuts.

Glad you like your 50 series. That might be the one for me as well. Are your stock resonators intact?

LugsLeadOut84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I had a Flowmaster Super 50 on my previous RAM. Improved sound but wasn't an over-the-top neighbor-waker. BUT I only got 2 years out of it dues to the salt and **** they spread around here. You had to hear it when it rusted through.....

Musky Mike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
If you go Flowmaster, you would want a Delta-Flow series with resonances chambers. That would be the most likely one not to have drone. In general, the longer the case and more reflectors, the quieter and less drone it will have (built resonance chamber will help with drone) Check out their website for the different models. Most Flowmaster are not stainless, they are Aluminum coated, that coating gets burned off at the weld points. They do paint the muffler after welding, but like everyone has said, they can rust pretty quick up north.

Phil Evans

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Had cat back with twin Flowmaster 40's with magnaflow tips on 2008 ram 5.7. Loved sound and performance.

DrunkJeff

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had dual flowmaster installed on my last ram, which was a 2004 with 5.7 and it sounded great. It wasn't tru-dual, but it gave me the look and the sound that i wanted and on cost me about $500 to get done.

IMPACT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi eTorque
I have the Borla touring. It has a nice rumble. No drone. I get lots of compliments. When you step on it, you wake up the chickens. I started with th eS-Type and it was about 50% louder, but it was to loud in the cab. The difference between S-type and Touring to me is s-type was in the cab with you. Touring is outside the cab, nice sounding but not intrusive. The only downside is I picked up a resonating rattle behind the back seat at 2000 RPMs. I need to take seat out to locate.