....Thrust Bearing Fail

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Markdafireman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I have a 2018 2500 Mega Cab 4x4 that had a funny churp noise when shifting at about 30 to 35 mph as the trans hunted for 3rd gear. I took it to the dealership to try a resolve the issue, twice. They had no idea. The 2018 model had a 5 year, 60K warranty. My wife came back from the store with the sound of gravel when it was in gear but would stop when in neutral or park. I was thinking the trans finally went out. I towed it to the dealer and they diagnosed the main thrust bearing failed and recommended a new engine. I have 61K miles on the truck. Just 1K out of warranty. I recently presented my maintenance records, I faithfully change the oil at 5000 miles whether its needed or not. I only tow a pontoon boat about fifteen minutes away. My question is what steps does the Ram manufacture take and dealer to resolve an issue like this? My dealer has had my truck for a week now and the service writer just gives me lip service.

Last edited:

Hugh Johnson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
Just curious, did you have a ticking noise from the engine on the drivers side and hear from the lower engine ?

You could try calling Chrysler Customer Care if the dealer won't help you.

OP
OP
M

Markdafireman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I didn't have any ticking noise at all. This is what's odd to me, who takes up the liability, the dealer or manufacture? A new engine is about 10K. I custom ordered the truck, with a tow package. (Limited) I just spent 500 bucks for the rear breaks to be serviced in December. I just replaced the tires in December and spent $2200 dollars plus I have chains that fit the tires, $300. I have a bed liner and metal bed roll cover, $3000. LED lights at $3000. So its a difficult question to give up the truck and switch to another brand. The truck is paid for. I would think the manufacture would credit the dealer for such issues.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Dealer service appears widely varied from what I read on here. Any other dealers nearby?

I think this may qualify for understatement of the year...and is true of ALL manufacturers.

OP, if you've had a good working relationship with the dealer, and they're a decent dealer, they will usually fudge the numbers just a bit to get it covered under warranty even though you're just out of it.

As stated above, it may be time to go above the dealer if they aren't willing to help you out. RAMCares on this forum seems to be someone from Mopar who I have seen have some success helping people out.

lpennock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L & 6.7L Cummins
The fact you had in in a couple times for the problem says it was a pre warranty ending condition. I would bring that up to the dealer and go above their head if they say it is out of warranty.

Sent from my SM-T500 using Tapatalk

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
The fact you had in in a couple times for the problem says it was a pre warranty ending condition. I would bring that up to the dealer and go above their head if they say it is out of warranty.

Sent from my SM-T500 using Tapatalk

Exactly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
And dang,

You never hear of thrust bearings going out very often. That crazy. Did you use T/H mode a LOT?

I know the “engine breaking” that the 6.4 is programmed to do definitely puts a lot of forward and aft loads on the thrust bearings.

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
Hi @Markdafireman --

We heard you were experiencing some concerns with your dealer and getting your engine serviced. If you'd like our support while working with your dealer to get this properly diagnosed and addressed, please send us a private message! I can definitely look into this further to see where we can be of assistance. Thanks!

Courtney
Ram Cares

OP
OP
M

Markdafireman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
The dealer requested all of my service records last Thursday. I provided my documentation that support my claims. The dealer was waiting for a response from Dallas but was delayed a few days due to weather issues we've all watched on main stream media.

The dealer (high volume) just notified me they are going to replace the engine!! Dallas recommended a remanufactured engine, however the cost was more than a new engine. They have the long block and waiting for the manifold which is on backorder. They want me to pay $200 for oil, oil filter, and oddly a thermostat. Thank you Ram!! Now its just a waiting game.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
AWSOME NEWS!

Question,

Now that you’re getting a new engine is there anything different here you’re going to do as far as engine maintenance goes....[emoji16]

Different oil
Filter
Maybe do induction cleaners more often (sea foam through throttle body)
Run more PEA cleaners in it
Use a different grade of gass

Will you treat it/drive it differently now?

All out of curiosity, i like learning from others experiences [emoji16]

OP
OP
M

Markdafireman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Interesting question. I was expecting this truck to last me ten years. With that in mind, keeping good maintenance is key to long service life. I never drove this truck hard, over maintained the fluids, and always filled it with the premium fuel. (chevron). This is what's so puzzling to me. I guess it was just a fluke. When I do get the truck back, I will have a master rebuild kit serviced on the transmission. It will be a new truck again.

OP
OP
M

Markdafireman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I got my truck back! After being at the dealer for 7 weeks I got my truck back. They installed a new long block and replaced the torque converter. The repair sheet total was 12K. Because I had all of my service records, Ram took the responsibility. I paid a couple of hundred for new spark plugs. The truck runs great! Its a bit rough but it should smooth out once it is broken in. The chirp sound is gone. Im thinking the torque converter failed early and was slamming against the thrust bearing. And the gravel sound that prompted us to take to the dealer was the torque converter inner workings clashing. It was probably what was causing the chirp sound. Thank you Ram!!