Help Support Ram Forum by donating:

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ticking after oil change

Discussion in 'Garage' started by DeerLord, May 21, 2020.

1. DeerLord

DeerLord Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 6.4
    Yesterday after changing the oil in my 6.4 I heard the lifters tick for just a moment when I first started it up. I always do the oil changes myself and never had this happen in my old 2005 5.7 but this was my first oil change in this truck (2018) with 15k miles. I used 7 quarts of 0W40 Pennzoil Ultra Platinum and 10-48 Royal Purple filter. The sound went away very quickly and I’m sure it’s fine but I’m kinda worried that maybe I did something wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. smurfs_of_war

smurfs_of_war Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 6.4
    Nope. Don't sweat it. Mine did it after every oil change like clock work, whether I did it myself or the dealer did.

DeerLord likes this.
  3. Sandevino

Sandevino Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 6.4
    Nope. Happens all the time. This is the first time you’ve heard it.

DeerLord likes this.
  4. RamCares

RamCares Senior Member

Ram Year:
    n/a
    Engine:
    n/a
    Hi @DeerLord - I see that you were able to receive advice on this from fellow members, however, please know that should you ever need to work with your dealer we are more than happy to provide you with an additional layer of support for that process!

Mark
    RamCares

DeerLord likes this.
  5. Halligan

Halligan Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 6.4
    Engine just needed a couple seconds to prime the oil system back up. Don't sweat it.

DeerLord and tidefan1967 like this.
  6. Halligan

Halligan Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 6.4
    Also, just so your not alarmed when it happens, I as well as others have a noticed a scenario where you start your truck up cold and only let it run for lets say 30 seconds and shut it off (move truck in driveway and immediately shut it off type thing), it appears fairly common to have a little lifter clatter the next time you start it. Even my 2010 Ram 2500 with the 5.7 would do the same thing. My theory is on a cold start followed by immediate shut off scenario the anti drain-back valve in the oil filter, which is either rubber or silicone, doesn't get hot and pliable, which means it doesn't seal well when you shut the engine off allowing the oil to drain back through the filter thus causing the oil system to lose it's prime.