Ticking in the engine...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Desertdawg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Okay, guys here is the latest. On my wife's birthday, as I said, my Ram crapped out. I am now convinced there was a problem when we bought it.....that's why the dealer recommended the extended coverage. The failure was a broken valve spring that caused the valve to drop onto the piston. They did not bother looking further. Took the new engine on a 250 trip and it never sounded better!!

OP
OP
knightjp

knightjp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I got to comment on this, I will be willing to bet that that roller lifter missing the roller has caused some kind of damage to the hardness of the cam lobe, That cam should be replaced along with all new lifters, that roller has to be in pieces in the oil pan.
I will have the mechanic check the camshaft again to make sure that everything is in order. If it shows even the tiniest bit of damage, we will change it.

As a comparison, I had a look at the service manuals for other truck brands; just to get a comparison. Here is the oil recommendation for the Chevrolet Silverado - a truck that seems to fair better in reliability surveys.

I found it interesting that they gave different oil recommendations for different engine sizes. Why did the 6.2L have a different recommended oil compared to the 6.6L?

Screen Shot 2020-09-05 at 12.50.28 AM.png

Now to a truck that is known as the most reliable truck.

Screen Shot 2020-09-05 at 1.03.35 AM.png

Last edited:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Okay, guys here is the latest. On my wife's birthday, as I said, my Ram crapped out. I am now convinced there was a problem when we bought it.....that's why the dealer recommended the extended coverage. The failure was a broken valve spring that caused the valve to drop onto the piston. They did not bother looking further. Took the new engine on a 250 trip and it never sounded better!!

Cool, yeah redline aint gonna fix that.

OP
OP
knightjp

knightjp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is it true that the MDS is a primary cause of the HEMI tick?
Does it put a strain on the lifters?
Someone on reddit mentioned that it was and it causes issues with the lifters.
The reason is because I would like to have keep the MDS. I gives my truck some pretty great gas mileage compared with other trucks like the tundra and GM ones. So I really want to preserve that.

Jtblackram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The reason is because I would like to have keep the MDS. I gives my truck some pretty great gas mileage compared with other trucks like the tundra and GM ones. So I really want to preserve that.
I dont turn mds on and get better gas mileage than any toyota or chevy. Lowest ill get is 15.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi

imo mds has ZERO to do with it. Hemi tick is prevalent with non mds hemi's as much as mds hemi's.

OP
OP
knightjp

knightjp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
imo mds has ZERO to do with it. Hemi tick is prevalent with non mds hemi's as much as mds hemi's.
I suppose that you are right when you consider that Ram 1500s older than the 4th Gen have ticking issues as well.
Completely forgot about that.
I dont turn mds on and get better gas mileage than any toyota or chevy. Lowest ill get is 15.
How do you keep the MDS off? Is there a switch for MDS? I thought it was just done automatically through the vehicle's on board ECU.

Jtblackram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I suppose that you are right when you consider that Ram 1500s older than the 4th Gen have ticking issues as well.
Completely forgot about that.

How do you keep the MDS off? Is there a switch for MDS? I thought it was just done automatically through the vehicle's on board ECU.
I use the gear lockout (+,-) on the steering wheel, if u are using the lockouts it will not engage mds

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
The 5.7 has been made throughout 4 gen w/o mds, it was in the 2500's. Later they came out with 6.4. And even the 6.4 is having the same hemi tick issues.

OP
OP
knightjp

knightjp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well since the ticking noise can be caused by a number of things, each case is different.

I'm not entirely sure what caused the ticking in my engine especially after doing everything right; and to such a point that one of the lifters was missing a roller completely.
However the leading suspect is that the wrong oil was used; especially for the really hot weather we have here (averaging +50.C in the summer).
After seeing this video from engineering explained, I'm pretty much convinced...

If our weather has such high temps, then it is sure that when the car is running, the temperatures in the engine bay was a lot more higher than normal.

I found this as well... quite an interesting test for which oils are perform the best.

After seeing all the videos, I am convinced that Redline is the oil that I would want to use in my engine. Especially after hearing it being called "HEMI Honey".

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
It is not only oil weight, but additives and base oils. What it isn't, is the quality of the moving metal parts as proven. See additive and redline thread for more info, but this sums it up... I personally had an oil the same exact weight with high additives kill a tick the other oil had left behind...

KmyVgOd.jpg

OP
OP
knightjp

knightjp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the truck back. It has been really good to have it back.
The mechanic changed to lifters. The camshaft did not need to be changed. Strangely, there wasn't even a mark on it. I found that really interesting, but hey, if it didn't, it didn't. The mechanic said that everything was in good order. So only what needed to be changed was changed.
He then used MOPAR 5w30 and ran the engine with that.. Not a single tick. I came to the workshop and saw the truck start. There was a bit of a shudder, but the mechanic said that it was to be expected because the truck had not been started for a while.
When he told me what oil he used, I insisted that he change it over for RedLine. He was hesitant as the oil is not something he has used or heard of. He basically uses whatever oil he gets from the main dealer for whatever car he is working on. Plus Redline is more expensive than the standard MOPAR oil.
Anyways because it is my truck and I insisted, he did it. He called me to say that almost immediately after the oil change, the sound of the engine was different from before. The engine sounded so much more smoother.
Well that is the confirmation I needed to decide that really Redline is my oil of choice from here on.

Makes me wonder if it will be better for my ZF 8 speed transmission than the standard stuff from the MOPAR store.

ChevySlayer69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I have the truck back. It has been really good to have it back.
The mechanic changed to lifters. The camshaft did not need to be changed. Strangely, there wasn't even a mark on it. I found that really interesting, but hey, if it didn't, it didn't. The mechanic said that everything was in good order. So only what needed to be changed was changed.
He then used MOPAR 5w30 and ran the engine with that.. Not a single tick. I came to the workshop and saw the truck start. There was a bit of a shudder, but the mechanic said that it was to be expected because the truck had not been started for a while.
When he told me what oil he used, I insisted that he change it over for RedLine. He was hesitant as the oil is not something he has used or heard of. He basically uses whatever oil he gets from the main dealer for whatever car he is working on. Plus Redline is more expensive than the standard MOPAR oil.
Anyways because it is my truck and I insisted, he did it. He called me to say that almost immediately after the oil change, the sound of the engine was different from before. The engine sounded so much more smoother.
Well that is the confirmation I needed to decide that really Redline is my oil of choice from here on.

Makes me wonder if it will be better for my ZF 8 speed transmission than the standard stuff from the MOPAR store.

The mopar 8 speed trans fluid is top notch don't worry about that.

OP
OP
knightjp

knightjp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The mopar 8 speed trans fluid is top notch don't worry about that.
Yeah.. I have been told the same in another thread. Apparently ZF are responsible for the transmission and supplying the replacement oil which is pretty good stuff already.

So it makes sense with to stick to the stork stuff.

OP
OP
knightjp

knightjp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sorry to raise up an old thread. However I just came across this video talking about the HEMI tick.

He brings up an interesting point and solution to the issue.

OP
OP
knightjp

knightjp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sorry to resurrect an old thread.
Never thought I would be posting about this again; especially after the last time I experienced it on the previous truck.
I honestly don't think that it is the same, but the noise does make me nervous. I've been running Redline 5W30 ever since I got the second truck.
To me it sounds like the manifold/header bolt issue.. I need to confirm it.

Ticking Noise Part 1

Ticking Noise Part 2

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Sorry to resurrect an old thread.
Never thought I would be posting about this again; especially after the last time I experienced it on the previous truck.
I honestly don't think that it is the same, but the noise does make me nervous. I've been running Redline 5W30 ever since I got the second truck.
To me it sounds like the manifold/header bolt issue.. I need to confirm it.

Ticking Noise Part 1

Ticking Noise Part 2
With noise cancelling high quality head phones I'm picking up zero metallic tick brother, in fact the engine sounds good imo. Is there a specific minute mark on either video you want me to relook at?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Vid 1-3 I got nothing. Vid 4 there is something, but can't really nail it down. I think the squeak is noise from something else. Honestly I can say there is no hemi tick, no lifter tick, but general engine sound. Can you get a uoa over there? See how it is wearing. It pretty sounds like a normal cadence of an engine to me, if not no ticking very very little, and how can you explain zero ticking in first 3 vids, makes me think 4 vid was just a noise magnified from recording in the cab. If you felt like do another, just put the recorder under the engine and leave it there for 2 minutes, maybe hit the gas, if you did that I would listen to that, but so far so good man.

OP
OP
knightjp

knightjp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
@Burla thank you for the remote diagnostics. Much appreciated. I took the truck to the mechanic today. He said it wasn't the lifters. My suspect is the headers. However that doesn't seem to be too urgent and the truck needs to go in for an oil change soon. He'll take care of it then.
I'm thinking that in order to protect the engine further, maybe I will start using Redline 5W40 every 2 or 3 oil changes.. OR just use 5W40 during the summer months and 5W30 the rest of the time.