Time to Put a Lot of Money in 5.7 Hemi (cam & lifters)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hambone1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Does anyone know if there is a law suite filed about this? I want to be involved. Also, if you do an MDS delete and upgrade the cam, as well as the lifters, you have to get the truck tuned. Which I am now trying to figure out how to get that done. Anyone else upgraded to a Comp Cam / MDS Delete and had to have it tuned? The truck just gets a P0172 error code and idols out.

TXCOMT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Does anyone know if there is a law suite filed about this? I want to be involved. Also, if you do an MDS delete and upgrade the cam, as well as the lifters, you have to get the truck tuned. Which I am now trying to figure out how to get that done. Anyone else upgraded to a Comp Cam / MDS Delete and had to have it tuned? The truck just gets a P0172 error code and idols out.

I'm not so sure the MDS delete alone requires a tune, as all manual-shift V8 Challengers have non-MDS Hemi engines and the only thing they need out of the box is that skip-shift eliminator! Matt from Moe's could probably elaborate here.

TXCOMT

Hambone1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm not so sure the MDS delete alone requires a tune, as all manual-shift V8 Challengers have non-MDS Hemi engines and the only thing they need out of the box is that skip-shift eliminator! Matt from Moe's could probably elaborate here.

TXCOMT

Right on man thanks for the message, mines a 12’ Ram 1500 5.7. The guys at AMS Racing out of Louisiana, told me I had to have the CMR tuned? Can’t hold an idol under 1500 rpms, put the truck in gear, dies out. P0172 error code.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Right on man thanks for the message, mines a 12’ Ram 1500 5.7. The guys at AMS Racing out of Louisiana, told me I had to have the CMR tuned? Can’t hold an idol under 1500 rpms, put the truck in gear, dies out. P0172 error code.
If it’s not an exact factory cam than you need a custom tune as the timing on intake and exhaust changes throwing off the computer. If the cam is a factory spec cam than no need for custom tune except mds delete. Pcm swap and handheld tuner you can shut mds off permanently on 2015 and newer. Yours is a 12 so all you need is the handheld tuner to shut mds off
Edit: just googled that code. It says issue fuel bank rich

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Catastrophic mechanical failures are now considered routine maintenance? Ok FCA, you better come out and update your PM schedule.

The capability of some of these dealers are mind boggling, either that or they think they can still ******** their own buyers in modern day.
Be carefull what you say, I can see them saying normal maintenance is to replace cam & lifters every 60kmiles so now the warranty doesn't cover it since it's a maintenance item.......

88ROOK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

for some reason you're dumping to much fuel in

16RamHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 Sport Crew
why go that far and not tune? i would 1000% get a custom tune from Jay Greene with an hp tuner. have him tune your truck and trans. will be well worth it. youtube hemi 5.7 lope cam...

dont look back

kathyricks

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
How about the Pentastar V6? Is it immune to valvetrain wear out problems?

kathyricks

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
for crap sake its metal against metal and people think theres not supposed to be worn parts..........things that baffle me
1960's chrysler slant six and 318 V8 = no major wear on any internal parts after 300,000 miles

88ROOK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
1960's chrysler slant six and 318 V8 = no major wear on any internal parts after 300,000 miles

i had a friend, who had a cousin, and his dad watched this show garage rehab, and they had had to redo a 440 charger with a bad rod bearing..............moral of the story all 440s will have bad rod bearings, you heard it here first on the internet

jackham

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
My driving habits:
Mid 60’s man who primarily used the truck for business travel between NC, Atlanta, and Alabama. Allowed engine to idle a couple minutes before driving to ensure engined was lubed.
No hard acceleration. Changed oil every 3K with Valvoline synthetic blend. All suggested maintenance was performed well before recommended intervals because it was my business transportation.

My failures were worn cam lobes and lifters, heads reworked due to valve springs and seal issue. I replaced camshaft, lifter, and timing belt assembly (proactive)
Wow that is crazy over doing man and you still had problems. Just crazy.

jackham

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
These threads are difficult to know just how serious to take them. When you look at the math the amount of forum failures is a very tiny fragment of truck owners. I get it, if its you it sucks, Just saying with 1,300 trucks coming off the line you have to consider the math.

On my motorcycle forums I am know for saying that some of the guys could buy an anvil and destroy it before they get home. We just have to admit some of us, and some of our friends, drive their trucks, and take care of their trucks, in a rather haphazard fashion. If you are a Builder or Contractor and have guys work for you then you know what I mean.

So why not just step up the weight of the oil?

2003 Hemi 2500 single cab driven in extreme weather - 167,000 miles and blew head gasket and gave it to my son.
1996 Land Cruiser 258,000 miles sold and still running fine in town by new owner 5 years later.
2011 eco boost 182,000 miles retired to the farm, no problems
New 2019 Hemi Laramie Longhorn loaded 350 miles

What is in common with the first three is I ran Mobil 1 and later Royal Purple. Changed oil filter every 5,000 miles and oil every 10,000 -20,000 miles. Temperature extremes ranged from -45 to 104 degrees. Beautiful weather to why the hell am I out here weather. Just my stats.

jackham

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
These threads are difficult to know just how serious to take them. When you look at the math the amount of forum failures is a very tiny fragment of truck owners. I get it, if its you it sucks, Just saying with 1,300 trucks coming off the line you have to consider the math.

On my motorcycle forums I am know for saying that some of the guys could buy an anvil and destroy it before they get home. We just have to admit some of us, and some of our friends, drive their trucks, and take care of their trucks, in a rather haphazard fashion. If you are a Builder or Contractor and have guys work for you then you know what I mean.

2003 Hemi 2500 single cab driven in extreme weather - 167,000 miles and blew head gasket and gave it to my son.
1996 Land Cruiser 258,000 miles sold and still running fine in town by new owner 5 years later.

What is in common with the first three is I ran Mobil 1 and later Royal Purple. Changed oil filter every 5,000 miles and oil every 10,000 -20,000 miles. Temperature extremes ranged from -45 to 104 degrees. Beautiful weather to why the hell am I out here weather. Just my stats.

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
These 345 engines are in 6+ different applications(Ram 1500-3500/Charger/Chally/ProMaster/Vans/Durango/Magnum in the estimated few million sold betwen 2011-2014.
I don't have the option-out engine sales data as the other site pulled it down(how convenient), but it is less than a 1% overall failure rate based on a tally of users. It's certainly a substantial cost to consumers, but the PPM is not concerning to FCA especially with the majority of cases occuring after warranty.

jackham

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi

KalboKalbs

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
21 Longhorn Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
New guy. Old guy. Not engine smart.

2015 Ram 5.7. 88K miles. All maintenance completed on schedule. Synthetic oil. Believe it is 5/20. Could be 5/30. Either way, Ram chose oil during oil changes.

Accelerating onto highway, engines lost acceleration / power, as if loss of fuel. Plenty of fuel in tank. "Idiot" indication on dash, "electronic throttle failure". Eased to side of highway. Stopped engine. Would not restart. Towed to Ram.

Ram guys say engine blew a rod.

So, both 5 year / 100K drive train and Max warranty should cover my Ram problems.

Waiting in line for "investigation" before ordering new engine.

Questions...your experience and insights please.

- My Ram engine problem likely related to the cam / lifter issue / oil issue I see in so many threads?

- Any reason Ram would not stand by warranties? Investigation, I understand. Manufacture wants to know what part(s) failed. Supplier issue(s).

- Does Ram replace with new or reworked engine?

- What else should I be considering?

Thank you for your insights and thoughts.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Kalbo, sorry to hear about your engine. As long as you have all your oil change receipts and have not nodded your engine, I don't see how they can deny your claim.

KalboKalbs

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
21 Longhorn Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Kalbo, sorry to hear about your engine. As long as you have all your oil change receipts and have not nodded your engine, I don't see how they can deny your claim.

Thanks for the reply.

Understand & agree.

All maintenance in Ram / FCA computers as they have done the maintenance.

Assuming, "not nodded your engine" = I did not abuse the engine in anyway. Assuredly I didn't. Never would do so. But imagine that is an angle of the "investigation". Generally don't trust the process. So much I can't see. FCA behinds the scenes communications with dealership. Outta go my way. Two to three weeks they'll make a decision.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AKJeeper