Tire Chains

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

El Huapo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4X4 Warlock 1500 Classic DS w/3.55 LSD
Engine
V6 flex
New 2019 Warlock: had to sign waiver stating I knew this truck can never run with snow chains on. Anyone know why? We get snow/ice here in the foothills and 4WD's pass OK in those areas if they have snow tires on---not the OEM type. Loads of fender clearance exists, will the computer go fruitcake if I put chains on?

Firetruck41

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 Mega Cab Hemi 5.7
My guess is clearance to suspension components towards the inside surface of the front tires. I bet you can run chains or cables, as long as you make sure you have the minimum clearance you need. Almost certainly should be able to find something that will work on the rears. But maybe some one with your trim level will be able to expound.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You can run Cables easily, just know if they break, you will likely break something. Hell you live in the snow I’m sure you know what’s up..

A good set of tires will take you a long way.

In my personal vehicles I want to say “ I have never had a “ Propper set of chains”, I bought the cheapest set of chains K Mart had just to appease local law enforcement when chain restrictions where in place.

I bet if you post in the 4th Gen section looking for guys who plow, they have all sort of options since if anyone is going to chain up regularly it’s them.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
This has apparently been going on for a while. We have no such waiver on the same trucks in Canada. Chains will fit fine on the rear as long as you keep them tight. If you plan to use them much then buy decent quality as if you break one it will damage paint and other things. A chain flailing around tends to do that. If you just need them to pass road checks, but will likely never use them then buy a cheap set. The warlock is a 4th gen. On this thread I have pics of my chains mounted. https://www.ramforum.com/threads/snow-chains-or-cables.133019/page-2

Last edited:

CYSTemrebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7 liter
Chains are rough and you cannot run at any speed except SLOW. Cables are a better option, little vibration comparative and can run a lot faster. I keep a set of bar chains behind the seat for emergencies but my preference is studded tires. Traction on ice is indescribable and I have driven fifty miles per hour on roads that vehicles with regular snow tires drive only in the shoulder to enlist traction by gravel.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ya, don’t exceed like 35mph running chains, I saw a Ford F-150 last winter that lost a tensioner and kept going, the chain literally cracked the side of the bed from the wheel we’ll all the way to the top of the bed rail.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I have studded snow tires, but sometimes the chains are what you need. In the spring/fall I run some roads that get really greasy when it rains and without chains it's hard to get up and you're a toboggan going down and that's not good when you get to the corner just before a cliff so I use them on those occasions and if I get stuck somewhere that has steep inclines in the winter that isn't plowed yet.

Elkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
For ice chains are much better than cables if stopping is important to you. Chains can work if you avoid making tight turns with the truck and can remember to do so when the chains are on the front tires.

In some areas it may be chains only for vehicles allowed on the highway and cables may not be enough for the inspectors.

OP
OP
El Huapo

El Huapo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4X4 Warlock 1500 Classic DS w/3.55 LSD
Engine
V6 flex
Thanks to all. This truck came with Goodyear Wranglers which aren't *TOO* awful---in light snow, no ice. I kept the old chains from my now sold 2001 Ram for "Show and Tell" just in case. I need to try mounting them on this new truck, as the new 20" tires measured less than an inch taller than the 16's on my old truck so I may be in business. I had studded tires when I lived in northern Oregon and loved them and they're legal here for part of the year, so maybe cables for most situations, studs, or these chains, decisions, decisions.
BTW: No matter how well you prepare, watch out for fools coming the other way.