Tire changing (4x4): best location for the jack/ axle stands?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TonyMM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 RAM 1500 CC 6"4 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi,

It is my first RAM and soon I will have to change my tires for the winter tires.

Which are the best (safest) location on the front and on the rear when using a trolley jack (with the round plate at the top) and the axle stands for tire changing (4x4)?

In the manual the location indicator for the scissor jack on the front is "on the rear portion of the lower control arm" and for the rear it is written "under the axle between the wheel and the shock bracket with the drive tubes extending to the rear".

Should I use the same jack location as in the manual for a trolley jack?
Where should be used the axle stands?

Attachments

• Front.jpg
    Front.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 644
  • Rear.jpg
    Rear.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 258
  • Trolley jack & axle stands.jpg
    Trolley jack & axle stands.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 265
Last edited:

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yes, but I'd use a small block of wood on top of the jack plate so you don't have metal to metal on the control arm that can slip easily. Not needed on the axle tube.

OP
OP
T

TonyMM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 RAM 1500 CC 6"4 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Or is it better to use the jack on the frame (instead of the front lower control arm and under the axle between the wheel and the shock bracket for the back) to lift the truck ?

And on which location should I use the axle stands on the front and on the rear ?

Last edited:

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Putting it on the frame will require lifting the truck even higher to get the tire off the ground.

If you are going to be under, or anywhere that if it fell it could hurt you, like in the wheel well, use jackstands.

DO NOT TRUST A HYDRAULIC JACK TO HOLD IT !!!

I'd put the jackstands under the rear axle, and under the shock mount in front or where ever you can fit them that will support the whole front end (frame cage between the control arms maybe ??).

Last edited:

Rustycowl69

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 ram 3500
Engine
V10
for the rear, I'd put the jack under the center section of the rear end, and when the tires are lifted sufficiently, place the jackstands under the axle tubes as close as you can to the shock mount or tube end, but not in the way of mounting the new wheel/tire assy.
for the front, you might have to experiment a little to find the "sweet spot" on the frt axle , where you can place the jack to lift the front end as evenly as possible. If that can't be done, you may have to resort to jacking one side at a time. when it is lifted I'd put the jackstands under the LCA as close as possible to each knuckle, but not in the way.
It might be advisable to do just one end at a time, and block the other tires appropriately so the truck doesn't roll away on you.

Last edited: