Tire Pressure Module Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Qban

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I bought a 2016 Ram 1500 brand new. It came with 17" wheels. I later bought a set of 20" Ram wheels, powder coated them white, bought 4 new Tire pressure sensors and tires. Installed them and after about a year, my TPS alarm came on, but this time, instead of showing the tire pressure number it showed -- these two little dashes. after another week, another tire showed --, and presently three out of my four tire pressure show --. My question is...Is my modulator on my truck for 17" tires from factory, is there a difference in modulators for trucks that factory come with 20" rims?? my TPS in my wheels are just a year in change old. They shouldn't go bad that quick. Dealership just says your TPS are bad, they need replacing. It's not cheap installing these things. Is there anything else I can do? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So you took the TPMS sensors out of your original wheels and put them in the new ones? If you did then all you should have to do is drive around a bit and they should self program.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Were the TPMS sensors OEM/Factory replacements or were they aftermarket?

~2015+ OEM replacement TPMS sensors are the way to go because no programming is needed. The truck will recognize and and sync itself up with them.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
I bought a 2016 Ram 1500 brand new. It came with 17" wheels. I later bought a set of 20" Ram wheels, powder coated them white, bought 4 new Tire pressure sensors and tires. Installed them and after about a year, my TPS alarm came on, but this time, instead of showing the tire pressure number it showed -- these two little dashes. after another week, another tire showed --, and presently three out of my four tire pressure show --. My question is...Is my modulator on my truck for 17" tires from factory, is there a difference in modulators for trucks that factory come with 20" rims?? my TPS in my wheels are just a year in change old. They shouldn't go bad that quick. Dealership just says your TPS are bad, they need replacing. It's not cheap installing these things. Is there anything else I can do? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
IMO your dealer is right . Bad sensors, Those lines mean no connection ! Sucks they are fairly new !
My 2015 did those lines on 1 tire. Turned around to head back home and it went back to normal :O SO next tire change all 4 will be replaced.. And Go OEM.. Rock Auto has a pretty good price on OEM

Steven Hanly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Qban - I went from 17s to 20s on my truck and bought 4 what I thought were new tpms on ebay. A few months later I had the same issue you have now. So I bought 4 new tpms from RockAuto, installed those and it’s been smooth sailing for years.
It has nothing to do with the rim size.