Tired of Searching - Speaker?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gary2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Same here I did the Kicker upgrade plug and play with 2 sets of 6x9s with the tweeters for my Reg Cab. The tweeters were too loud and harsh they pulled the sound stage way to the left for the driver so I put the OE tweeters back in with the 4, 6x9 kickers. I run the EQ flat and the loudness off . That way you get bass when its supposed to be there ,much cleaner sounding Vs the muddy loudness setting bass that adds bass where it was not meant to be which sounds muddy to me . Everyones ears are different and that will change some with age and tastes in music

Puba08

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks, didn’t realize there were 3 speakers on the dash...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Non alpine systems only have 2 speakers in the dash. The kit I bought only came with (2) 3.5 speakers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
OP
markusaf81

markusaf81

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So, in case someone was watching or for "search" reasons...ill let you guys know what I ordered.

I researched the Mopar Kicker upgrade kits, the 77KICK stuff, and I read what everyone wrote. I ended up with Kicker 3.5 2-ways up front, 6x9 3-ways in the rear, and 6.5 2-ways for the front door. Seems to almost mirror what GIJoe bought from Darkness. It is also almost identical to the Mopar upgrade (obviously with newer part numbers), but instead of the 6x9 3-way for the front doors, I went with the 6.5 2-ways.

Hoping that with my aftermarket head unit ill be able to control the dash speakers.

Will let everyone know how they are on Friday when they get here.

likes2build

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Express RCSB
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
So, in case someone was watching or for "search" reasons...ill let you guys know what I ordered.

I researched the Mopar Kicker upgrade kits, the 77KICK stuff, and I read what everyone wrote. I ended up with Kicker 3.5 2-ways up front, 6x9 3-ways in the rear, and 6.5 2-ways for the front door. Seems to almost mirror what GIJoe bought from Darkness. It is also almost identical to the Mopar upgrade (obviously with newer part numbers), but instead of the 6x9 3-way for the front doors, I went with the 6.5 2-ways.

Hoping that with my aftermarket head unit ill be able to control the dash speakers.

Will let everyone know how they are on Friday when they get here.

I've been following this and hope you get the sound you want. Please when you post your results add the Kicker model / pn#'s for the 3 different speakers.

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Subscribed. I’m thinking about swapping out my speakers. I’m pretty sure mine are blown. I like loud music too much. They sound like they’re cracked.
I got a pioneer amp and 8” sub from my son. I’d like to put them in but keep the factory HU.
Do they make a speaker wiring adapter so I won’t have to cut the wires??
Sorry I’m not trying to hijack your thread OP.

I Love my 18 Ram 2500HD 4x4 CC
Blue Streak Pearl off-road

GIJoe2010

No sh*t, there I was . . .
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you look on Crutchfield's site they are a Metra speaker adapter, I don't recall the model/serial number off the top of my head.

McBroom

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
If you look on Crutchfield's site they are a Metra speaker adapter, I don't recall the model/serial number off the top of my head.

Thank ya GIJoe2010 much appreciated

Gary2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I only put high range speakers on the dash oe location and that only because I am not as involved as I was earlier in my life audio wise and am using the locations they gave us out of simplicity . Reason being I remember in my earlier days of car stereo that they preached you should not have tweeters ( 2 or 3 ways that contain tweeters either) all over the place. If you do you will loose some of the effects in music that are created around timing . That used to be the one of the points of kick panel mounted speakers. That is the closest to equal distance between the speakers to your ears. I understand thats not really close but the difference is less than say, where our dash speakers are located to our ears. Adding rear fill so to speak was limited so it did not get into the upper frequency range being that is more directional and will screw up the sound stage that is supposed to be across the top of our dash board . To many speakers playing real directional ( upper frequency ) sound will cancel out some of the effects where only two Tweeters positioned correctly enhance the effects. Their are other ways to reproduce these effects but I am only trying to use the basics OE locations and doing my best to enhance what we already have vs making a bad situation worse just for the sake of saying yup , a lot louder . That is one reason head phones always sound so good , all speakers each side are equal distance from your ears. Another area where more is not always better. Hope I didn't sound like a complete ass just tryig to pass on some of what I remember before I start forgetting even more

OP
OP
markusaf81

markusaf81

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Subscribed. I’m thinking about swapping out my speakers. I’m pretty sure mine are blown. I like loud music too much. They sound like they’re cracked.
I got a pioneer amp and 8” sub from my son. I’d like to put them in but keep the factory HU.

Same here I did the Kicker upgrade plug and play with 2 sets of 6x9s with the tweeters for my Reg Cab. The tweeters were too loud and harsh they pulled the sound stage way to the left for the driver so I put the OE tweeters back in with the 4, 6x9 kickers. I run the EQ flat and the loudness off . That way you get bass when its supposed to be there ,much cleaner sounding Vs the muddy loudness setting bass that adds bass where it was not meant to be which sounds muddy to me . Everyones ears are different and that will change some with age and tastes in music

I was worried about putting 3-way 6x9's in the rear door AND the front door...I think that combined with the new 3.5s in the dash would have made the high side a little high. Hoping the 3ways in the rear with 2 ways in the front door help balance that out. Plus the EQ adjuster on my new HeadUnit is 50 times more detailed then my 5.0.

I mainly listen to "Outlaw" country or Chris Stapleton radio on Pandora so I'm not really gonna be expecting too much.

McBroom

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I was worried about putting 3-way 6x9's in the rear door AND the front door...I think that combined with the new 3.5s in the dash would have made the high side a little high. Hoping the 3ways in the rear with 2 ways in the front door help balance that out. Plus the EQ adjuster on my new HeadUnit is 50 times more detailed then my 5.0.

I mainly listen to "Outlaw" country or Chris Stapleton radio on Pandora so I'm not really gonna be expecting too much.

Some of my favorite songs by Chris Stapleton.

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab

Metra 72-6514 adapters for the 6x9's in the doors.

OP
OP
markusaf81

markusaf81

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Alright everyone, all done.

Was pretty easy once I had all the tools out ready to go.

6x9 3ways in the rear, 6.5 in the front door, and 3.5’s up front.

Honestly, I think it sounds great. Everything is clearer, the bass is better and the treble is better.

Sorry, I’m not a crazy audio guy so I can’t give a more detailed response. It just sounds clearer and better. Yes, the dash speakers are loud, I faded to the rear 2 clicks. I can keep playing with it in the future if I want but it sounds good as of now.

The only thing I didn’t like is the 6x9 to 6.5 adapter from crutchfiled. They included these little tiny nuts and crews to hold the speaker on the adapter plate. Screws are too small and the nuts aren’t self locking...I’d assume since it’s holding on something that vibrates, the nuts will come off. If I wasn’t so lazy, I would have either riveted it in or went to Lowe’s and got better hardware.

b75564e200cc1920154f828444622201.jpg

likes2build

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Express RCSB
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Thanks for posting the results and the list, glad it worked out for you.

OP
OP
markusaf81

markusaf81

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
edit: found my answer.. the usb cable is for the head unit swap

Correct.

It’s weird, so my center console USB obviously doesn’t work anymore cause it’s unplugged. Crutchfield says even if I Install the adapter listed above, the USB will work everything except CarPlay...which doesn’t make sense.

I only have 1 USB coming off the aftermarket headunit so I either choose CarPlay or charging my phone...wish I could have both.

shadowhawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black metallic 2016 Sport- born 05/2016
Engine
hemi 5.7 with I2 tune
I use a car adapter in the cigarette lighter. You could always install another usb