Tired of Searching - Speaker?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

markusaf81

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2014 Express without 8.4 and without Alpine...basic 6 speakers.

Why does crutchfield offer a 5.25, a 6.5, and a 6x9 option? Does it matter which one I get? I'm looking to swap out all 6 but I don't do anything crazy...just want better sound. When I fade from the middle to the front, there is no change in audio. When I fade all the way to the rear, the rear speakers sound like a pillow is covering them.

I'm probably going with something cheap like Kenwood 2-way speakers.

Thoughts?

Darth

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
In the basic stereo system The front dash speakers are 3.5" 8 ohm speakers. The front door and rear speakers are 6x9 4 ohm. The dash speakers are wired parallel with the front door speakers. The 3.5" dash speakers have low frequencies limited, the front door 6x9's have high frequencies limited, and the rear 6x9's have both low and high frequencies limited. That's why the rear speakers sound so weak. If you replace the 3.5" dash speakers with 4 ohm speakers they will overpower/be louder than the other speakers. The 6x9's in the door tend to be shallow so get speakers with shallow speaker mounting depth (under 3") or you can use a spacer. The back 6x9's have a little more room I think.

OP
OP
markusaf81

markusaf81

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
In the basic stereo system The front dash speakers are 3.5" 8 ohm speakers. The front door and rear speakers are 6x9 4 ohm. The dash speakers are wired parallel with the front door speakers. The 3.5" dash speakers have low frequencies limited, the front door 6x9's have high frequencies limited, and the rear 6x9's have both low and high frequencies limited. That's why the rear speakers sound so weak. If you replace the 3.5" dash speakers with 4 ohm speakers they will overpower/be louder than the other speakers. The 6x9's in the door tend to be shallow so get speakers with shallow speaker mounting depth (under 3") or you can use a spacer. The back 6x9's have a little more room I think.
sweet lord, that's twice as confusing...crutchfield doesn't tell me whether they are high/low, high limited, and what not.

GIJoe2010

No sh*t, there I was . . .
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Get 8 ohm dash speakers please!!!

I have 4 ohm and they overpower the fronts and I have to take out a bunch of treble, add in bass and mid and then bias the speakers +2 to the rear to make it tolerable. I know that some have wired in a resistor of sorts to combat this but I can't recall what or how to do it.

PowrRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Big Horn
Engine
3.6L V6
I have a 2014 Express without 8.4 and without Alpine...basic 6 speakers.

Why does crutchfield offer a 5.25, a 6.5, and a 6x9 option? Does it matter which one I get?

Yes, it matters. Not all 6X9's will fit in the openings in the front doors. The depth clearance is only about 2 7/8". There are some that do fit in there but a lot of people go with 5 1/4" speakers in the front doors. I think going to a 5.25" in the front doors reduces the bass response and the amount of air that can be pushed.

The depth in the rear doors is more generous. I don't know what it is but I've not heard of anyone having trouble fitting 6X9's in the rear doors.

I'm looking to swap out all 6 but I don't do anything crazy...just want better sound. When I fade from the middle to the front, there is no change in audio. When I fade all the way to the rear, the rear speakers sound like a pillow is covering them.

I'm probably going with something cheap like Kenwood 2-way speakers.

Thoughts?

I went with these 6X9 Pioneers:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B014Z7IIV6?tag=viglink21284-20

They drop right into the front doors, they have excellent bass response, they have excellent sensitivity (play loud for given input voltage) and they are very highly reviewed on Amazon. I see they are about $10 more per pair than when I bought them last summer.

My thread:
https://www.ramforum.com/threads/ec...ker-system-2018-big-horn-uconnect-8-4.121881/

GIJoe2010

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I got the full set up from @DRkNESS way back when, so he did all the searching and such. Part numbers and such might have changed since then.

OP
OP
markusaf81

markusaf81

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
and I do have a Sony XAV-AX100 head unit if that makes a difference.

OP
OP
markusaf81

markusaf81

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I got the full set up from @DRkNESS way back when, so he did all the searching and such. Part numbers and such might have changed since then.

looks good, I just need to find 8ohm fronts. Thank you for all your help

PowrRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Big Horn
Engine
3.6L V6
and I do have a Sony XAV-AX100 head unit if that makes a difference.

It might make a difference with the dash speakers. You might not need to try to find 8 ohm speakers. BTW, 8 ohm dash speakers that easily fit in the dash openings are as rare as a hemi Ram getting 25 mpg.

OP
OP
markusaf81

markusaf81

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It might make a difference with the dash speakers. You might not need to try to find 8 ohm speakers. BTW, 8 ohm dash speakers that easily fit in the dash openings are as rare as a hemi Ram getting 25 mpg.
yeah, just spent 20 min searching crutchfield and apparently they don't exist. Maybe ill try the 4ohm and see how they pan out.

I read your thread as well. Interesting that GIJoe put 3-way speakers in the rear and 2-way in the door, I wonder if that will help balance the sound as opposed to doing 3-ways on the front doors and new speakers on the dash?

GIJoe2010

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's all good, I'm glad I could provide some assistance.

Again, I got them second hand. I will say, other than the dash speakers, they are far and away superior to OEM and didn't cost an arm or a leg. I'm going to do the 4 ohm resistor upgrade (like many others) and get back what I lost to counter-act the overpowering from them.

Puba08

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have an Express as well (only 5.0 Uconnect though) and I just swapped out the stock speakers for the Mopar Kicker direct replacement speakers. No adaptors needed and the 6x9’s fit the front doors w/out issue. Took less than an hour. Sounds 10x better than the stock setup but I will definitely be adding a sub. Paid less than $230 swapping all 6 speakers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
OP
markusaf81

markusaf81

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have an Express as well (only 5.0 Uconnect though) and I just swapped out the stock speakers for the Mopar Kicker direct replacement speakers. No adaptors needed and the 6x9’s fit the front doors w/out issue. Took less than an hour. Sounds 10x better than the stock setup but I will definitely be adding a sub. Paid less than $230 swapping all 6 speakers.

Where did you get them? Link?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Puba08

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I bought them on Amazon (had gift cards).
Search the following:
Mopar 77KICK42 (dash and front door speakers)
Mopar 77KICK41 (rear door speakers)

Like I said much clearer than stock and definitely better base but it’s not gonna rattle the mirrors or anything. Great cost effective option IMO.

OP
OP
markusaf81

markusaf81

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I bought them on Amazon (had gift cards).
Search the following:
Mopar 77KICK42 (dash and front door speakers)
Mopar 77KICK41 (rear door speakers)

Like I said much clearer than stock and definitely better base but it’s not gonna rattle the mirrors or anything. Great cost effective option IMO.

Thanks, didn’t realize there were 3 speakers on the dash...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk