Tired of Searching - Speaker?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ultivssl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
I'm curious about the limiting of frequencies. Are the limiters built-in the head unit or in the stock speakers. I want to keep my head unit, but upgrade the speakers. Also, does anyone know how the front door and dash speakers are linked? Are they spliced together at a speaker (assume dash) or do they have separate outs at the head unit.

Reactions: kad

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I'm curious about the limiting of frequencies. Are the limiters built-in the head unit or in the stock speakers. I want to keep my head unit, but upgrade the speakers. Also, does anyone know how the front door and dash speakers are linked? Are they spliced together at a speaker (assume dash) or do they have separate outs at the head unit.

I'd like to know this myself.

-K

OP
OP
markusaf81

markusaf81

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ive heard the dash and front door speakers are linked but have no idea if that's true or not.

I actually just ordered 6x9's for the front door. The sound does seem a bit high for my liking even with it faded to the rear a few clicks and even with the bass setting bumped up.

I talked to Crutchfield and they said replacing the 6.5 2-ways with 6x9 3-ways will make a big difference in the amount of mid and lows. So I'm giving it a shot.

likes2build

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Express RCSB
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Ive heard the dash and front door speakers are linked but have no idea if that's true or not.

I actually just ordered 6x9's for the front door. The sound does seem a bit high for my liking even with it faded to the rear a few clicks and even with the bass setting bumped up.

I talked to Crutchfield and they said replacing the 6.5 2-ways with 6x9 3-ways will make a big difference in the amount of mid and lows. So I'm giving it a shot.

Are you going to use the same 6x9's as the rear? And thanks so much for posting all your findings!!!

2010 Infantry Vet

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Are you going to use the same 6x9's as the rear? And thanks so much for posting all your findings!!!

Dash speakers are tapped into the door speakers. I highly suggest the Rockford fosgate power 3 way 6x9s. Probably will have to use a spacer, but they pound! $150

OP
OP
markusaf81

markusaf81

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

No, the only brands Crutchfield had that would fit (I guess without spacers) were Pioneers so I’m gonna give them a whirl.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PowrRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Big Horn
Engine
3.6L V6

Those 6.5" coaxial speakers have an "effective frequency response of 40 Hz to 20Khz" and a sensitivity of 90.
https://www.kicker.com/cs-coaxial-speakers-65

"Effective frequency response" is a term used when the bass response rolls off at a much higher frequency but the speaker is still able to reproduce sound at the lowest frequency (though you'd barely hear it.) In the case of these Kicker's I suppose the bass response is somewhat flat until it gets to around 80 Hz and then sharply drops off, petering out at 40 Hz. I couldn't find the frequency response chart.

In contrast those Pioneers have a frequency response of 28 Hz - 36KHz and a sensitivity of 92. That means they will have better bass response and play a tad louder. These speakers have bass that is flat until about 60 Hz and then drops off to 20 Hz. Pioneer rates frequency response as 28Hz to 36Khz [-20 dB]. That means the low number, 28 Hz, is where sound pressure levels dropped off 20 dB from flat, and the high number 36KHz is where high frequency response drops off 20 dB from flatness . Notice bass frequency is flat at about a sound pressure of 90 dB until it gets to about 60 Hz than starts dropping. It crosses 70 dB at about 28 Hz. So Pioneer fixes the lower end of bass response at 28 Hz.

Bottom line? I think you will be much happier with the Pioneer 6X9's.

Here is the frequency response chart of the Pioneers (TS-A6966R):

Pioneer Frequency Repsonse.JPG

Last edited:

likes2build

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Express RCSB
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Those 6.5" coaxial speakers have an "effective frequency response of 40 Hz to 20Khz" and a sensitivity of 90.
https://www.kicker.com/cs-coaxial-speakers-65

"Effective frequency response" is a term used when the bass response rolls off at a much higher frequency but the speaker is still able to reproduce sound at the lowest frequency (though you'd barely hear it.) In the case of these Kicker's I suppose the bass response is somewhat flat until it gets to around 80 Hz and then sharply drops off, petering out at 40 Hz. I couldn't find the frequency response chart.

In contrast those Pioneers have a frequency response of 28 Hz - 36KHz and a sensitivity of 92. That means they will have better bass response and play a tad louder. These speakers have bass that is flat until about 60 Hz and then drops off to 20 Hz. Pioneer rates frequency response as 28Hz to 36Khz [-20 dB]. That means the low number, 28 Hz, is where sound pressure levels dropped off 20 dB from flat, and the high number 36KHz is where high frequency response drops off 20 dB from flatness . Notice bass frequency is flat at about a sound pressure of 90 dB until it gets to about 60 Hz than starts dropping. It crosses 70 dB at about 28 Hz. So Pioneer fixes the lower end of bass response at 28 Hz.

Here is the frequency response chart of the Pioneers (TS-A6966R):

View attachment 146938

Not knowing anything about audio I appreciate that information. Here's my question.. When I purchase would I be better of to use 4 of the Pioneer 6x9's or go with the combination of the Kicker and Pioneers?

PowrRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Big Horn
Engine
3.6L V6
Not knowing anything about audio I appreciate that information. Here's my question.. When I purchase would I be better of to use 4 of the Pioneer 6x9's or go with the combination of the Kicker and Pioneers?

I'd have to see the Kicker 6X9's you are considering purchasing and look at the specifications. Not just the frequency and sensitivity, but also the impedance. I see that those Kicker 6.5" were listed at 4 ohms on the Crutchfield site, but the user manual said they were 3.3 ohms. I'd want all speakers to be the same impedance. If you get four all the same brand/model # you can be assured of that.

I'd go with the best speakers, unless cost is a factor. I have those Pioneers in my front doors and they are nice.

jh90731

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 Express 4x4 RegCab
Engine
hemi 5.7
Glad I found this thread before I got started on my speaker upgrade project. I have a 2014 1500 regular cab with the standard 6 speaker non-Alpine system. I’ve already purchased a set of JBL GX302’s for the dash, Kicker DSC650’s for the doors and Terminator 69’s for behind the seats. This setup was suggested by and purchased through Crutchfield with the help of one of their advisors. The 6.5” rounds for the doors were recommended because of the clearance issue and they included the adapters. The JBL’s are 2.3 ohms and both the Kickers and Terminators are 4 ohms. Do I need to worry about the JBL’s being only 2.3 ohms in conjunction with the Kickers. One of the earlier posts stated these are wired in parallel? TIA

OP
OP
markusaf81

markusaf81

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'd have to see the Kicker 6X9's you are considering purchasing and look at the specifications. Not just the frequency and sensitivity, but also the impedance. I see that those Kicker 6.5" were listed at 4 ohms on the Crutchfield site, but the user manual said they were 3.3 ohms. I'd want all speakers to be the same impedance. If you get four all the same brand/model # you can be assured of that.

I'd go with the best speakers, unless cost is a factor. I have those Pioneers in my front doors and they are nice.

Thanks for all that info, that actually made sense to me, lol. I'm glad Crutchfield is letting me return them.

PowrRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Big Horn
Engine
3.6L V6
Glad I found this thread before I got started on my speaker upgrade project. I have a 2014 1500 regular cab with the standard 6 speaker non-Alpine system. I’ve already purchased a set of JBL GX302’s for the dash, Kicker DSC650’s for the doors and Terminator 69’s for behind the seats. This setup was suggested by and purchased through Crutchfield with the help of one of their advisors. The 6.5” rounds for the doors were recommended because of the clearance issue and they included the adapters. The JBL’s are 2.3 ohms and both the Kickers and Terminators are 4 ohms. Do I need to worry about the JBL’s being only 2.3 ohms in conjunction with the Kickers. One of the earlier posts stated these are wired in parallel? TIA

Yes, those JBL's at only 2.3 ohms are going to be louder than they should be. The dash and front speakers are wired together. When you add lower ohm speakers to the front dash more of the stereo signal goes to the dash speakers and they play louder than desired.

One solution is to adjust your fader so the rear speakers get a bit more signal, but this is not optimal.

A lot of people with the 6 speaker non-Alpine system buy 4 ohm speakers for the dash and wire that 4 ohm, high wattage resistor into one of the speaker lines to make the speaker effectively 8 ohms. This restores the front speakers to their proper 8 ohm configuration and the fader can be placed at the center position for maximum overall loudness and balance of the system.

I did a write up on adding the 4 ohm speakers to the dash speakers of the non-Alpine system:
https://www.ramforum.com/threads/how-to-4-ohm-resistor-upgrade-for-aftermarket-dash-speakers.125742/

OP
OP
markusaf81

markusaf81

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

I had the Kicker 43CSC654 6.5's in the front door and that's what I didn't like...hoping the pioneers 6x9's will be better.

jh90731

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
thank you PowrRam and markusaf81 for the quick feedback. I'll contact Crutchfield about exchanging the JBL's and look for some 4 ohm 3.5's. I'll also pick up the resistors from digikey. Thanks again.

OP
OP
markusaf81

markusaf81

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Alright! Speakers are in. 6x9 pioneers dropped right in. Might be a mind thing but it seems to be a lot better. I was getting a lot of highs and some lows, now it seems to be more balanced. So I’d recommend to do 3-Way 6x9s in the front and rear doors and the 2 way 3.5’s in the dash.

fe2cc95f8d570aa0a29fed7ffe2197e5.jpg

likes2build

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Express RCSB
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Alright! Speakers are in. 6x9 pioneers dropped right in. Might be a mind thing but it seems to be a lot better. I was getting a lot of highs and some lows, now it seems to be more balanced. So I’d recommend to do 3-Way 6x9s in the front and rear doors and the 2 way 3.5’s in the dash.

Excellent, glad you are happy with the results. What is the model/pn# for the Pioneers that you used?
Thanks

jh90731

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7

Excellent, so you had no problems with the magnet of these Pioneer 6x9's rubbing up against the support bracket that's directly behind them? Can you please provide the model number of these Pioneers?

OP
OP
markusaf81

markusaf81

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Excellent, glad you are happy with the results. What is the model/pn# for the Pioneers that you used?
Thanks

Pioneer TS-G690

I would’ve gone a little more expensive/better quality but was worried the sound wouldn’t change

OP
OP
markusaf81

markusaf81

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Excellent, so you had no problems with the magnet of these Pioneer 6x9's rubbing up against the support bracket that's directly behind them? Can you please provide the model number of these Pioneers?

Pioneer TS-G690

No rubbing at all, crutchfield offered a more expensive pioneer that was 1/16th deeper and they said they’d fit as well.

likes2build

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Express RCSB
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Yes, those JBL's at only 2.3 ohms are going to be louder than they should be. The dash and front speakers are wired together. When you add lower ohm speakers to the front dash more of the stereo signal goes to the dash speakers and they play louder than desired.

One solution is to adjust your fader so the rear speakers get a bit more signal, but this is not optimal.

A lot of people with the 6 speaker non-Alpine system buy 4 ohm speakers for the dash and wire that 4 ohm, high wattage resistor into one of the speaker lines to make the speaker effectively 8 ohms. This restores the front speakers to their proper 8 ohm configuration and the fader can be placed at the center position for maximum overall loudness and balance of the system.

I did a write up on adding the 4 ohm speakers to the dash speakers of the non-Alpine system:
https://www.ramforum.com/threads/how-to-4-ohm-resistor-upgrade-for-aftermarket-dash-speakers.125742/

The front Kicker 3 1/3" 43CC354 speakers are 3.2 ohm, is the 4 ohm 10w resistor in your write-up still going to be the correct solution if I go with these in the front and the 4 ohm Pioneers in the door and rears?