To buy or not to buy. Dealership extended warranty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

swapwap

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
recently bought into the Ram family. Got a 15 ram limited longhorn. Air ride 4x4.

I traditionally don’t buy extended warranties, but I’m not that familiar with ram trucks, it’s my first ram.

The warranty offered to me is $2500 for 70k miles, extended, not bumper to bumper. So basically it covers what most aftermarket warranties do with no deductibles and actually from the dealer and not the phone calling trolling ********.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

I won’t be driving this thing in the back woods....lol

Last edited:

bfill_rebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I would consider it if it covers the air ride components.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Random_Walk

...what's this bolt do? *plink* ...oh.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 QC 4WD SLT
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
If the warranty is from FCA, do it.
(If the odometer is above like 20k miles, I don't think they will sell you one, though.)

As long as you read *all* of the fine print, it sounds pretty good. Just make sure of what they cover, what they do not, what restrictions they have, and where (and under what conditions) their coverage ends.

Last edited:

MYMISSIONISFISHIN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I bought a 2014 Ram at a Dealership 2 yrs ago. It had 47K miles on it when I purchased it. At the time, they offered me an extended warranty which I just found out is "IPORT" which is short for "Portfolio Protection extended warranty". I have gotten several repairs done to my truck in the last year and IPORT has covered the repairs all but the $100 deductible. Most recently, I had both front wheel bearing/Hub assemblies replaced at the same time. Cost out of pocket was $100. And they put it into the loan when I purchased it. I swear by them. Had it on my Trailblazer prior to my Ram and had to replace several bearing/hub assemblies as well. Definitely worth the money.

Jstmahoney

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 1500 5.7 Crew Cab 4x4
Engine
5.7 hemi
I got my warranty through my insurance company, my agent swears by them. It was $1550, with a $100 deductible and it covers everything for 8 years/100,000 miles. Could of paid more or less depending on the deductible but I figured $100 if I need it isn’t much to come up with.

Puba08

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Definitely get the warranty if it covers the air ride!!
I bought my warranty from a family friend. He actually sells the warranties to the dealerships. The markup is crazy. My truck had 60k when I purchased it. My warranty is bumper to bumper and it is for 7 years or 100k miles (on top of the 60k I already have). Zero deductible for $2100.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Robslv1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ram 1500 SLT / Bighorn 2WD 5.7 Hemi
I bought my warranty from a family friend. He actually sells the warranties to the dealerships. The markup is crazy. My truck had 60k when I purchased it. My warranty is bumper to bumper and it is for 7 years or 100k miles (on top of the 60k I already have). Zero deductible for $2100.

I just recently purchased my 2016 Ram1500 5.7 Hemi SLT / Bighorn with 18K . About 2 months ago.
I Called Mopar Directly and they Quoted me 3600 for 7yrs 100k bumper to bumper
They also quoted me 4400 for lifetime extended warranty.

I just recently purchased my 2016 Ram1500 5.7 Hemi SLT / Bighorn with 18K . About 2 months ago.
I Called Mopar Directly and they Quoted me 3600 for 7yrs 100k bumper to bumper
They also quoted me 4400 for lifetime extended warranty.

Screenshot_20190121-192836_Gallery.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

MidTennMtneer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar
I’m in the market as well. Just got a ‘17 with 20k miles. Look at these things as rolling computers. Replacing a power seat or especially those air ride components could cost thousands.

Call around. I’ve gotten several quotes for the Mopar Maxcare 8yr/125k mile. Range $2200 to $2800. I’m still not done shopping around.

Make some calls. I feel it is for sure worth it.

MYMISSIONISFISHIN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Mine was 5 years or 100,000 miles. That's on top of at the time I bought my truck, it had 38K miles so, 62K miles remained on factory warranty. My truck just turned 80K miles, so I have 20K miles left on either warranty or 3 years as it was a 5 yr extended warranty and I have owned the truck for 2 years now.

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would only consider buying a genuine FCA/Mopar warranty if it were me. I purchased my lifetime Added Care Plus warranty from Tony at https://www.chryslerwarrantydirect....MIkvHlqYuP4AIViEsNCh2nKQJ7EAAYAiAAEgLbOPD_BwE
I paid a little more because I needed to make payments which they will go up to 18 months interest free. I paid around $2800 for what I have with a $100 deductible. The 8 yr/125K mile Maxcare warranty is like $2450 with a $100 deductible. There are even better deals out there if you can pay in full. Oh and by the way the Maxcare is basically the same as BTB. It doesn't cover tires,belts,wiper blades and normal wear items but covers everything else.

OP
OP
swapwap

swapwap

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I got my warranty through my insurance company, my agent swears by them. It was $1550, with a $100 deductible and it covers everything for 8 years/100,000 miles. Could of paid more or less depending on the deductible but I figured $100 if I need it isn’t much to come up with.

Interesting. Which acency? Mom what’s the name of the insurance company? That’s a good price if it covers the same

OP
OP
swapwap

swapwap

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Would you mind pming me his info?

Jstmahoney

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 1500 5.7 Crew Cab 4x4
Engine
5.7 hemi
Interesting. Which acency? Mom what’s the name of the insurance company? That’s a good price if it covers the same

Mercury Insurance. Not sure if they are in just California or what.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I'm not a big fan of extended warranties either, but they can make sense. I have no problem buying a contract from a dealership if it's with a warranty company they like working with and have a history with. $2500 seems high for only to 70K miles though.

MileHighRam11

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Definitely get the warranty. Yours is a little newer than mine so maybe it won't have as many issues, but better to be safe. My extended warranty was $2200 (covered until Nov 2020) and the warranty has already paid more than double that in repairs to the camshaft, lifters, gaskets. exhaust manifold, spark plugs, and much more.

OP
OP
swapwap

swapwap

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just checked mopar, $1600 for 5yr/100k. Sweet. SOLD...

Beats stealership as well....

Thanks everyone they have as close to bumper to bumper as you can get from reading it.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
recently bought into the Ram family. Got a 15 ram limited longhorn. Air ride 4x4.

I traditionally don’t buy extended warranties, but I’m not that familiar with ram trucks, it’s my first ram.

The warranty offered to me is $2500 for 70k miles, extended, not bumper to bumper. So basically it covers what most aftermarket warranties do with no deductibles and actually from the dealer and not the phone calling trolling ********.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

I won’t be driving this thing in the back woods....lol

No, would not rcommend.

boxofrokx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I may be a lone solder here but you are talking about buying an insurance policy. In the end, the insurance company must make money. I bet the ratio is 10:1. 10 people don't use it for 1 that does. Me no way.

MidTennMtneer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar
Look at it this way too.

Money back.

If you don’t use it, you get some back. It is pro-rated but still. Won’t be a 100% waste.

You can also transfer it once for like $50 or so. If you sell it on the private market down the road that can be a good selling point.

OP
OP
swapwap

swapwap

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Last three vehicles over the course of 5 years probably cost me out of pocket just under 2k. They are gone. Just this one now.

750 on a bmw alternator.
Rear oil pan seal and ignition coils 1200

Think with 5years and 100k, I’ll take the bets for $1600. Air bags along on suspension worries me more than anything else. I’m not worried about the drive train on a Ram, more likely electrical or air bag issues. I once owned a f250 diesels iand drove one 150kmiles with only a water pump and transmission failure, again about 2k. But with these electronics and air suspension I just feel better off with some warrant. Thanks again everyone for your thoughts and recommendation,