To those who traded, was your trade value good?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

alow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I took my trade to Carmax for a fall back plan. The dealer came in lower but I used Carmax to have them match it after the tax rebate. I had already ordered my truck so I didnt have the ability to shop as many places with the same incentive but my dealer gave me a good price up front without the trade even discussed so it was still separate in a way if that makes sense.

Definitely shop your trade.

Bluegill1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My trade-in/ buying event is pretty simple.
I do a KBB or similar on my trade using the correct scale (trade-in), correct assessment (check boxes). I print it out and take it with me. New vehicle is internet searched for best price (generally 20% + off list), I print it out. I take both to the dealer. If he wants to sell me a vehicle he needs to take min of 20% off list, and give me what KBB had for my trade-in. Otherwise I walk out and go to the next dealer. If one dealer can give 20% off list any dealer can, it’s just wether they will or not. We have some dealers here that are constantly at 20% or more, while others here are not even close. Needless to say I think it’s easy to figure out where I go to First.

Vitae_Essence

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L 8 Speed
My trade-in/ buying event is pretty simple.
I do a KBB or similar on my trade using the correct scale (trade-in), correct assessment (check boxes). I print it out and take it with me. New vehicle is internet searched for best price (generally 20% + off list), I print it out. I take both to the dealer. If he wants to sell me a vehicle he needs to take min of 20% off list, and give me what KBB had for my trade-in. Otherwise I walk out and go to the next dealer. If one dealer can give 20% off list any dealer can, it’s just wether they will or not. We have some dealers here that are constantly at 20% or more, while others here are not even close. Needless to say I think it’s easy to figure out where I go to First.

When you say list price are you referring to MSRP or the dealers actual listed/sticker price?

avantiguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
It looks like where Fitz is (California) there is no tax benefit to trading in along with Hawaii, Kentucky, Maryland, Michigan, Montana and Virginia.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FYI, There is a benefit in Michigan. Sales tax is only on the price differential. Just bought my wife a new Toyota Corolla so it's recent data.

dmalonecentral

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI® V8
FYI, There is a benefit in Michigan. Sales tax is only on the price differential. Just bought my wife a new Toyota Corolla so it's recent data.

Good to know. I pulled that from a random internet search so I can’t vouch for its accuracy. I should have posted the source.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dgriffi2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
About a month ago I took my 2011 quad cab sport 4x4, with the Hemi and 60k on the odo ,down to my local Ram dealer to see what they'd give me on a 19 laramie crew cab. They offered me $15k, after looking at it for about 5 minutes, I've since decided not to trade it, I just love it too much, it's in mint condition. But I thought $15k as a starting point was fairly decent. The salesman knew hardly anything about trucks, and said there were no discounts yet on the 19s, part of the reason I didn't pursue it further.

soapy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I always get a cash price with no trade in first. I want to know the bottom line cash price. Then I get around to saying I might want to trade in my truck, what is the difference figure if I do? This lets me know exactly what they are really offering me for trade in on a cash basis. I live in a state with 6% tax so on a 30K trade that is $1800 that the dealer has a built in advantage since they can just pass it through to the next buyer using their resale permit.