Tonneau Cover & sprayed on bed liner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Bedrug is darn good for anything, biggest complaint that i recall reading was if you haul baled hay, some of the straw will get caught in the plastic weave & has to be pulled out by hand.
You can sweep it, vacuum it, hose it out
Video below

I have had 3 trucks with Line-X, i really like them
There is only one disadvantage that i have heard of.
IF you get into an accident & the part of the bed that is sprayed with liner is involved. The body shop has to remove the sprayed product to straighten the damage out. They charge extra for that.
I can live with that.

W1p1Cr.jpg
I have removed the cover a few times, to outfit my sign rack & bedslide, i think i was 73 the last time i did it by myself

rRGdRU.jpg

shoUzX.jpg

bedrug video

OP
OP
Stylie

Stylie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I had a 2016 with a plastic bed liner and hated it because stuff would slide all over. My 2020 has a spray in liner which is a little better but stuff still slides. I decided to put a rubber mat in both to prevent the slide issue and in my new truck it keeps the bed liner looking like new. What's nice about a spray in liner is you can wash out the bed and not worry about rust build up under a plastic liner. As for a cover, I had a gator rollup for my 2016 but decided I wanted more security with my new truck so I purchased an Extang Tri fold. It is pretty heavy duty but install is easy and its locking system seem pretty stout. Good Luck
I would never do a plastic liner I've had to many of the work trucks have em and they would crack, slip on em. Is the Extang easy to take off as it is to install?

OP
OP
Stylie

Stylie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Bedrug is darn good for anything, biggest complaint that i recall reading was if you haul baled hay, some of the straw will get caught in the plastic weave & has to be pulled out by hand.
You can sweep it, vacuum it, hose it out
Video below

I have had 3 trucks with Line-X, i really like them
There is only one disadvantage that i have heard of.
IF you get into an accident & the part of the bed that is sprayed with liner is involved. The body shop has to remove the sprayed product to straighten the damage out. They charge extra for that.
I can live with that.

View attachment 477106
I have removed the cover a few times, to outfit my sign rack & bedslide, i think i was 73 the last time i did it by myself

View attachment 477107

View attachment 477108

bedrug video

My friend has Bakflip tonneau on his chevy & also likes his.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just looked on your site & couldn't find anything for the 2022 Ram trucks.

We offer much more than what is listed on our site. Message me if you would like to discuss options and pricing. I recommend one of the options from BAK or Undercover.

LugsLeadOut84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
My friend has Bakflip tonneau on his chevy & also likes his.

I've had 2 Bakflip hard tri-folds and would recommend them (G2 and Fibermax). They're not cheap (about $950) but they are super low-profile and offer a degree of security (you can get into anything but it's not as easy as slicing through a vinyl cover). Personally I wouldn't even consider a soft cover. As far as losing bed space...they fold up and lean against the cab and takes up about 15" of space above the bed. The bed space itself is free.

I just ordered a Bak Revolver X4S (hard roll-up) for my new truck just to try something different.

Look at some pictures and youtube videos for each type and decide what's best for your particular situation and needs. You'll notice there are some topics (specifically tires, oil and tonneau covers) where you'll get so many good, but completely different, opinions that it won't help you decide...

OP
OP
Stylie

Stylie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I've had 2 Bakflip hard tri-folds and would recommend them (G2 and Fibermax). They're not cheap (about $950) but they are super low-profile and offer a degree of security (you can get into anything but it's not as easy as slicing through a vinyl cover). Personally I wouldn't even consider a soft cover. As far as losing bed space...they fold up and lean against the cab and takes up about 15" of space above the bed. The bed space itself is free.

I just ordered a Bak Revolver X4S (hard roll-up) for my new truck just to try something different.

Look at some pictures and youtube videos for each type and decide what's best for your particular situation and needs. You'll notice there are some topics (specifically tires, oil and tonneau covers) where you'll get so many good, but completely different, opinions that it won't help you decide...

Awesome thank you. I was looking at the G2. I'm afraid with getting a soft one the vinyl would crack after sitting in the sun & dust like my truck will be doing. And at my shop the wind & dust go flying thru like a tornado sometimes. I'm all ready in brain over load with just asking about bed liners in tonneau covers I can't imagine what it'll be like once I start thinking about tires, and other accessories.

BthomasTC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a line x, it is fine.
The cover I did have a lowepro low profile, it was fine for 4 months but I want to have more use of the truck so I went with the softopper. Best decision I could make is the softopper on the truck. easy on easy off can be washed with on keeps everything dry. off in or on in under 5 min. yeah if you don't have one you are missing out.

RM1LES

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello just asking for opinions about tonneau covers or spray on bed liners. Positives & negatives for each one. And what brand is the best, best for the money?
Try Truxedo https://truxedo.com/. I have one on my 2012 and has held up great! Instead of panels that when folded forward end up blocking vision in rear window, the Truxedo rolls up, no blind spots and leaves plenty of room for lumber etc.

I'm with IAWROSA... I took my plastic truck bed liner out. I had some slight rust spots from where water & dirt sat underneath it but like the bare bed much better. Nothing slides around as much and the bed is easier to keep clean and avoid rust.

BlackSheepRebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i got both since they fulfill different purposes in my mind.

had a local place spray in line-x, and have been happy with it. paid a little more for the UV additive.

did a lot of research and went with the truxedo sentry ct. it looks like a low profile soft liner, but has alumanim slats to add some security. it also rolls up to a small footprint to make hauling larger items easier. that's the main reason i don't like tri-fold, footprint/blocking the rear window.

what i don't like is the noise from the slats rubbing together... i like to drive with rear window open, and this point annoys me enough i wouldn't suggest it to anyone.

for a tonneau, ask yourself if you just want weather protection (soft is ok) or security. also be honest with yourself about how "secure" any of them really are. some are better than others, but a lot of them can be easily opened with a coat hanger. if you just need weather protection, you can save a lot and go with a soft cover.

i suggest spending a lot of time looking at options online, then try and talk to folks with your narrowed options (or visit a local truck shop if you have one) to actually hear critical feedback / put your hands on the thing before purchase.

good luck!

Bigs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Mopar spray in bed liner here and Bison Flip-Up Tri-Fold hard cover for mine.

Bison is not premium but seems OK for now. We'll see after a few harsh winters and all.

Truck is pretty new so can't really give any update on the durability of both.

Adam E

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My truck came with the "factory" dealer-installed spray-in bed liner. Not sure what they used though it seems to have held up fine. I also picked up a bed mat. If I drop anything I don't have to worry, as much, about damaging the item or the bed. It also keeps things from sliding around. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004A0ZLSC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I had one in my last truck for 10 years still looked great when I sold the truck.

As for tonneau covers, I like the soft trifold. They give you a few more inches of height in the bed than the hardcovers and if you're willing you can push up on the vinyl a little without damaging it.
They are also very easy to remove. Mine came with a bag so the few times I had to remove it I just put it in front of the backseat.

pcwizard2600

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Good comments above. I've had all types of bed liners, mats, etc. over the years, and personally love the spray in types. Both our RAM's had the spray in when we got them, so not sure on the brand but have held up well. For us, as far as covers, the soft trifolds work well. We have the Gator SFX series on both our RAMs, and for a budget cover, they seal well, and are easy to remove if the full bed space is needed. The older of the two is only a couple years old, but still in like new condition (other than being a little dirty.)

texcwa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L HO
I’ve had Line-X installed on 4 trucks and my 21’ 2500 came with the 5th wheel prep and MOPAR sprayed liner. It’s the only type of bedliner I would ever have.
Just ordered a soft trifold tonneau which I think is going to work fine with my 5th wheel. Fortunately, I have about 7 inches of clearance between my side rails and the RV.
For others with 5th wheel hitches I thought I would share my fit with the BakFlip MX4 cover. I too have the puck system in my 2019 3500 and took a measurement of 1 1/4" from top of hitch to top of bed side rail caps. I have a Patriot Slider so figured between being able to slide the hitch rearward and or lifting off the upper portion of hitch, I could make to cover work. To my surprise, the cover fit with 1/8" clearance between bottom of locking rail of the MX4 cover and top of hitch. This cover gives me some added security for the hitch (and any other items in bed), keeps the bed very dry (only had some minor water down back edges of tale gate but not into bed) and folds all the way up to cab window so loose very little bed space. Could not be happier.

Irishthreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Tex, glad it worked well for you. I just installed a Gator SFX soft tri-fold on mine this morning. For any other 5W folks, this cover sits about 3 inches or so above the bed rail when folded up so you don’t need a ton of clearance between your rig and bed top rails. This cover seems very well made and the vinyl is heavy and pretty strong. Would liked to have had a 4 fold hard but more $ than I wanted to spend.
Take care!

dburkard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l Hemi v8
The founder of Rhino liner sold it and eventually started another liner company called Bullet Liner ... Form what I have seen the Bullet liner is thicker and has a better finish with a balance of non-slip as well as the ability for a shovel to slide on it, etc ... It is more economical than Rhino or Line-X and a better product ... it also has the lifetime warranty like the others. I would tell you to take a look at it before making a decision for either of the others ...

2015 RAM 2500 Laramie Longhorn Mega short bed w/ 6.4L Hemi & Diamond Black Metallic / Cattle Tan interior

• Class IV Weigh Safe multi Hitch & Integrated Trailer Brake Control - Anti-Spin Differential - RamBoxes - Nerf bars (Bullet Lined) - Tonneau Cover
  • Fab Four Matrix w/ Runner Front & Fab Four Premium Rear Bumper (Bullet Lined) w/ a 12k# Apex wireless winch
  • Rigid 30" bar + 4x Dually Pro 3" , Rigid Series-L Rear lights, LED Rock Lights
  • S&B Col Air Intake & a Pulsar PCM Tuner - Weathertech floor mats - Limo Tinted Windows - 3M Front End Paint Protection
  • Bushwacker Extend-A-Fender Flares (Bullet Lined) w/ BFG T/A K02 285/65r20 tires on Vision Rebel Satin Black 20x9 8x6.5 18mm
21015 RAM2500mega64l_01.jpg

OP
OP
Stylie

Stylie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Try Truxedo https://truxedo.com/. I have one on my 2012 and has held up great! Instead of panels that when folded forward end up blocking vision in rear window, the Truxedo rolls up, no blind spots and leaves plenty of room for lumber etc.

I'm with IAWROSA... I took my plastic truck bed liner out. I had some slight rust spots from where water & dirt sat underneath it but like the bare bed much better. Nothing slides around as much and the bed is easier to keep clean and avoid rust.
Yeah no plastic bed liners for me. I don't like the look nor the fact water can get caught under them and help cause rusting. I will check out truxedo. Thank you.

OP
OP
Stylie

Stylie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
i got both since they fulfill different purposes in my mind.

had a local place spray in line-x, and have been happy with it. paid a little more for the UV additive.

did a lot of research and went with the truxedo sentry ct. it looks like a low profile soft liner, but has alumanim slats to add some security. it also rolls up to a small footprint to make hauling larger items easier. that's the main reason i don't like tri-fold, footprint/blocking the rear window.

what i don't like is the noise from the slats rubbing together... i like to drive with rear window open, and this point annoys me enough i wouldn't suggest it to anyone.

for a tonneau, ask yourself if you just want weather protection (soft is ok) or security. also be honest with yourself about how "secure" any of them really are. some are better than others, but a lot of them can be easily opened with a coat hanger. if you just need weather protection, you can save a lot and go with a soft cover.

i suggest spending a lot of time looking at options online, then try and talk to folks with your narrowed options (or visit a local truck shop if you have one) to actually hear critical feedback / put your hands on the thing before purchase.

good luck!
Is there really anything that is "secure" in today's world? lol I'm wanting more security than weather protection & looks. I do have a local truck shop near me but I think they are geared more for the Ken & Barbie truck owners. Plus I don't want to go in completely ignorant and they sell me something that I don't need or really want. (bad past experience). I never thought about the tri fold blocking my back window so thank you for informing of that. I'm like you I can't stand rattling it would drive me nuts. I will definitely do some research online w/ the info everyone has given me. I'm pretty sure I'm going with the line x spray liner. Which one did you get? The regular or the premium?

OP
OP
Stylie

Stylie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
The founder of Rhino liner sold it and eventually started another liner company called Bullet Liner ... Form what I have seen the Bullet liner is thicker and has a better finish with a balance of non-slip as well as the ability for a shovel to slide on it, etc ... It is more economical than Rhino or Line-X and a better product ... it also has the lifetime warranty like the others. I would tell you to take a look at it before making a decision for either of the others ...

2015 RAM 2500 Laramie Longhorn Mega short bed w/ 6.4L Hemi & Diamond Black Metallic / Cattle Tan interior

• Class IV Weigh Safe multi Hitch & Integrated Trailer Brake Control - Anti-Spin Differential - RamBoxes - Nerf bars (Bullet Lined) - Tonneau Cover
  • Fab Four Matrix w/ Runner Front & Fab Four Premium Rear Bumper (Bullet Lined) w/ a 12k# Apex wireless winch
  • Rigid 30" bar + 4x Dually Pro 3" , Rigid Series-L Rear lights, LED Rock Lights
  • S&B Col Air Intake & a Pulsar PCM Tuner - Weathertech floor mats - Limo Tinted Windows - 3M Front End Paint Protection
  • Bushwacker Extend-A-Fender Flares (Bullet Lined) w/ BFG T/A K02 285/65r20 tires on Vision Rebel Satin Black 20x9 8x6.5 18mm
View attachment 477232I