Took the 6.4 on a road trip

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lpfm1990

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7

They traded him into a 2018 3500 Cummins and wasn’t much a price swing iirc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
And anyone (which there are many) that depend on their evic to give accurate mpg's will **** if they ever hand calculate.

Not always. I've hand calculated my mileage and it's always pretty close to the eviic...usually .5-1 mpg less by hand....but my truck is all stock and I run 70 psi in all tires so I think that's part of it....but who knows? Maybe i just got lucky with a semi accurate evic? Lol!

nmhuntr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2018 2500 with a 3.73. Took a drive for a little over 900 miles running east/west on I10 which of course has a lot of wind this time of year. I was running empty and my average was 45 mph so I did have a lot of in town driving. Other than that I was driving the speed limit be it 55 or 75. The average was 14.8 mpg. My 1/2 ton Tundra got 15 so no complaints here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

muzupan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram1500 Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I drove from Rocky Mount NC to Raymondville TX a few weeks ago in my 2018 Ram 2500 6.4 l hemi and 3.73 gears. I averaged 16.5 to a high of 18.4 mpg. The majority was in the 17’s. My speed was a constant 68mph. I saw better
Mileage when I stayed with named brand gas and my worst with Pilot gas. All I could figure was the ethanol content. The road and weather conditions were pretty much the same. The reason I say that was I did better mileage in North and South Carolina and Georgia with the rolling hills on I 20 and I 85 then I did in the flatlands to Louisiana on I 10. This past week from Rocky Mount NC to Chapel Hill NC and back 17.9 mpg. That is about a 200 mile round trip. In town I get an average of 12.5 mpg. I am running 87 octane in my truck. I have yet to tow anything. All my mileage calculations were hand calculations by meter is off anywhere from a mile to 2 miles per gallon

Last edited:

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
I drove from Rocky Mount NC to Raymondville TX a few weeks ago in my 2018 Ram 2500 6.4 l hemi and 3.73 gears. I averaged 16.5 to a high of 18.4 mpg. The majority was in the 17’s. My speed was a constant 68mph. I saw better
Mileage when I stayed with named brand gas and my worst with Pilot gas. All I could figure was the ethanol content. The road and weather conditions were pretty much the same. The reason I say that was I did better mileage in North and South Carolina and Georgia with the rolling hills on I 20 and I 85 then I did in the flatlands to Louisiana on I 10. This past week from Rocky Mount NC to Chapel Hill NC and back 17.9 mpg. That is about a 200 mile round trip. In town I get an average of 12.5 mpg. I am running 87 octane in my truck. I have yet to tow anything. All my mileage calculations were hand calculations by meter is off anywhere from a mile to 2 miles per gallon

glad it was you going down to Raymondville and not me. the computer on my ram has so far been very accurate when checked by hand calculation.

Lucy Girl

Military, Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
OH C'MON!!!!!!!!!!!

Thats impressive.
A lot more than I can get. I am at 16.7 best. Maybe because I really drive TS out of it. Keep the rings going all the way to the top of cylinders. Love my 6.4 even if I only get 14.6. Very happy for you though. Picture is the best proof.

leroys73

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Took my 6.4 from northern Indiana to south eastern Ohio this weekend. Mix of two lane and interstate driving. I did the math and hand calculations were within .2 of the evic! I was very happy with it

View attachment 163044

View attachment 163045

I had similar experience last summer in my near new (1000 miles) 4x4 crew cab long bed 3.73 with ARE camper shell. We left from Dallas visited most of the national parks in Utah Arizona with a lot of idling. Going out there and retuning mostly interstate 75mph with some secondary roads. At one point I was getting 17. But that was mostly under 70 with up and down hills while losing altitude.

But for the whole trip it was close to your calculations.
Then a trip to south Florida running interstate, mostly flat from Dallas, it was closer to 17 hand calculations.

I am very impressed with the mpg. As said earlier, these are heavy trucks and big engines. My 2500 Ram Van got consistently 16 to 17 with a 360 and 3.55 gears at 70 and 80. My last full size half ton PUs only got 10. That was in the 70s and 80s. And they were not crew cabs nor 4x4.
So I am very happy.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not always. I've hand calculated my mileage and it's always pretty close to the eviic...usually .5-1 mpg less by hand....but my truck is all stock and I run 70 psi in all tires so I think that's part of it....but who knows? Maybe i just got lucky with a semi accurate evic? Lol!

Yep, I am pretty much getting the same readings with mine. Sometimes it is dead on, sometimes its a full mpg off. And that is comparing the evic with a hand calculation for every single fillup so far, sitting at nearly 25k miles.

No, there not 100% accurate, but pretty damn acceptable in my opinion.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
Mine is always off by about 1.5-2 mpg.

Heck, multiple review sites like TFL Truck and Pickuptrucks.com have commented on how inaccurate Ram's EVIC was compared to the others.

muzupan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram1500 Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
glad it was you going down to Raymondville and not me. the computer on my ram has so far been very accurate when checked by hand calculation.
It is a long way down and back. 3400 miles with a Side trip to Donna and Harlingen. Hopefully I won’t have to go to much more, I have my house for sale.

Last edited:

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
A real hand calculation would look like 16.96 mpg.(measured to hundredths) That's the best my 6.4 has ever done.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
It is a long way down and back. 3400 miles with a Side trip to Donna and Harlingen. Hopefully I won’t have to go to much more, I have my house for sale.

Wow man that is a hike. I hope your house sells quickly. I did the 2 house tango for a year and a half and it sucked. But my houses were 3 miles apart and not 1700! Lots of lost time maintaining both/renovating our current...makes me wonder if it was all worth it, but we enjoy the new house.....despite neighbors who think the property line is over farther than it is!

Good luck man

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mine is always off by about 1.5-2 mpg.

Heck, multiple review sites like TFL Truck and Pickuptrucks.com have commented on how inaccurate Ram's EVIC was compared to the others.

Heres some facts from my experience.

This is on my ‘17 half ton crew cab 4x4, not my power wagon. But i have kept track and recorded every single tank of gas I have put in it since brand new. 49 fillups so far. I have written down what the evic said and what the actual calculation was. These are the average for a full tankfull, not partial or several tankfulls. The furthest off it has ever been was 1.83 mpg’s, while the closest it has ever been was .05 mpg’s. Both with the evic reading higher mpg’s than the actual hand calculation (imagine that! Lol).

The average the evic was off for the 49 fillups was .9631 mpg’s.

Also, best hand calculated average for a tankfull was 20.58 mpg’s, while the average for the last 49 fillups was 17.9804. NOT TOO BAD!!!!

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
I have made two trips to Flagstaff in the last week with an empty truck, 14.7 and 14.3 hand calc. I also have logged all fuel in this truck from day one, and my EVIC, like ST's, is very innacurate. I drive very conservatively and my truck will not even begin to approach some of the numbers reported here. It is what it is.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have made two trips to Flagstaff in the last week with an empty truck, 14.7 and 14.3 hand calc. I also have logged all fuel in this truck from day one, and my EVIC, like ST's, is very innacurate. I drive very conservatively and my truck will not even begin to approach some of the numbers reported here. It is what it is.

I wonder if my power wagon is off more than my half ton is. Ive never really paid much attention.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
And as “sophisticated” as these vehicles are, you would think the computer would be dead nuts on... im guessing they cant quite get the exact gallons used figured out?

Which brings up another factor... when you fill the tank up, who says you are filling it to the exact same level each time? So even a hand calculated average will have a bit of a false reading.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
Heres some facts from my experience.

This is on my ‘17 half ton crew cab 4x4, not my power wagon. But i have kept track and recorded every single tank of gas I have put in it since brand new. 49 fillups so far. I have written down what the evic said and what the actual calculation was. These are the average for a full tankfull, not partial or several tankfulls. The furthest off it has ever been was 1.83 mpg’s, while the closest it has ever been was .05 mpg’s. Both with the evic reading higher mpg’s than the actual hand calculation (imagine that! Lol).

The average the evic was off for the 49 fillups was .9631 mpg’s.

Also, best hand calculated average for a tankfull was 20.58 mpg’s, while the average for the last 49 fillups was 17.9804. NOT TOO BAD!!!!

I wish I could say the same. I record all of my data as well for tax reasons on my aCar app. As you can see, mine is off about 1-2 mpg just about every time.

Ram-2500-Actual-vs-Comp-4-19.png

To be fair, my BMW is just as bad percentage wise.

BMW-328d-Actual-vs-Comp-4-19.png

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I wish I could say the same. I record all of my data as well for tax reasons on my aCar app. As you can see, mine is off about 1-2 mpg just about every time.

Ram-2500-Actual-vs-Comp-4-19.png

To be fair, my BMW is just as bad percentage wise.

BMW-328d-Actual-vs-Comp-4-19.png

I awta check my wifes denal just for ***** and giggles. Judging by the graph, you must have a cummins lol.

Isnt it funny how the computer magically reads better mpg instead of worse?

dexter

Banned
Reaction score
I awta check my wifes denal just for ***** and giggles. Judging by the graph, you must have a cummins lol.

Isnt it funny how the computer magically reads better mpg instead of worse?

Mine's the same.

Try some Lucas Fuel injector treatment ... about $20 at Advance Auto on sale. I get about .3 added mpg.

I'm going to try Mistry Mineral Oil next to see if does anything.