Took the 6.4 on a road trip

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
How would you go about....... oh never mind. :emotions133:

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hahahahahah.

Hey, Im just a dumb dumb trying to think logically. But theres obviously a lot more to it then that. I do appreciate all your input! :favorites13:

Iron Outlaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Have yall seen the new tfl trucks video of the new power wagon?

2017 power wagon got like 13.2 mpg

New 2019 power wagon got 16.5 mpg

Seems like the 8 speed is making a big difference. I bet some guys on flat land at sea level may hit close to 20 on the highway.

Krashdragon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You dont always get the same amount in a gallon. Warm gas expands. Cold gas contracts.
Says so right on the pumps. Its caculated for by the oil companies in every state except Hawaii. It doesnt get cold enuf there to make a difference.
Info straight from one of the chemists at a oil supplier in Hawaii. My ex was a calibration technician at Pearl Harbor. He was pissed that we were paying more for less fuel all year since shrinkage was not caculated in Hawaii.
But it was easier to caculate fuel milage. No too hot or too cold weather to deal with.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
Have yall seen the new tfl trucks video of the new power wagon?

2017 power wagon got like 13.2 mpg

New 2019 power wagon got 16.5 mpg

Seems like the 8 speed is making a big difference. I bet some guys on flat land at sea level may hit close to 20 on the highway.

No I didn't see that. Can you please post a link?

The only one I saw with that kind of mileage was the Rebel 1500.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

My ‘17 1500 5.7 4x4 crew cab has averaged 18 mpg over its first 25k miles. Im good with that.

Iron Outlaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4

It's on their site in a video. They did a head to head of the new power wagon vs rebel.
The rebel only got one more mpg than the power wagon on their run they do.

1/4 mile race was rebel by a car length and 0-60 was almost identical. The new 6.4 trucks look like rockets for what they are. Over 1.5 seconds quicker to sixty than our generation.

Make it really tempting to trade up but I hate to start over payments. I'm very anxious for towing results but no one has posted any yet.

captainronpo614

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998-2005-2014
Engine
5.9-5.9-6.7 CTD's
How would you go about....... oh never mind. :emotions133:

WGAF - I don't..I bought it, I own it, I gotta feed it when it's thirsty no matter how much it drinks. Just like my spouse, when she get's thirsty, have to feed her good whiskey...Some things you can't worry about cost
of ownership, just level of enjoyment.................

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
WGAF - I don't..I bought it, I own it, I gotta feed it when it's thirsty no matter how much it drinks. Just like my spouse, when she get's thirsty, have to feed her good whiskey...Some things you can't worry about cost
of ownership, just level of enjoyment.................

I don't GAF either about my fuel mileage my truck gets either as I stated several posts back and through various posts in this forum. Obviously the guy with over 10k worth of mods on his truck is not too concerned about fuel mileage or cost of ownership and is more concerned about enjoying his vehicle.

I was just trying to explain how computing fuel mileage is not as simple as it seems. Is this a discussion we are not allowed to have? Don't want anyone to get triggered.

River19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I will add that the computers fuel algorithm is only as good as the sensors giving it the data. Not all sensors are dead nuts accurate or read exactly the same. You can have two sensors side by side, and both may be slightly off depending on which side of the bell curve they are on. Contamination on a sensor or slight leaks in the intake/exhaust may also play a role.

^^^^ This

Every one of those sensors and calcs has a margin of error even before wear and tear from usage comes into play......combine that whole series of variables with +/- and you end up with some noise in your numbers. Some manufacturers do better than others with this, some probably based on purposeful choices and others via "success by coincidence" through some luck in how their complete sensor loop plays together.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I don't GAF either about my fuel mileage my truck gets either as I stated several posts back and through various posts in this forum. Obviously the guy with over 10k worth of mods on his truck is not too concerned about fuel mileage or cost of ownership and is more concerned about enjoying his vehicle.

I was just trying to explain how computing fuel mileage is not as simple as it seems. Is this a discussion we are not allowed to have? Don't want anyone to get triggered.

Im thinking he quoted the wrong post. His comment really had nothing to do your post he quoted or any of them you have been posting.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
^^^^ This

Every one of those sensors and calcs has a margin of error even before wear and tear from usage comes into play......combine that whole series of variables with +/- and you end up with some noise in your numbers. Some manufacturers do better than others with this, some probably based on purposeful choices and others via "success by coincidence" through some luck in how their complete sensor loop plays together.

But what is odd, though, is pretty much all the manufacturers computer readouts show more mpg then actual. What a coincidence.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
But what is odd, though, is pretty much all the manufacturers computer readouts show more mpg then actual. What a coincidence.

We were speaking about the reason why some computers are more accurate than others. Like when most people here say their EVIC is over 1.5 mpg off, but you will have a few that will say theirs is less than 1 mpg off. This is likely due to the quality of sensors used and the allowable bell curve from the manufacturer.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
We were speaking about the reason why some computers are more accurate than others. Like when most people here say their EVIC is over 1.5 mpg off, but you will have a few that will say theirs is less than 1 mpg off. This is likely due to the quality of sensors used and the allowable bell curve from the manufacturer.

Which brings up another thought in my mind.

Everyone compares the evic to the “actual” mpg when hand calculating. BUT, in reality how actual is the hand calculation? Did you just fill the tank to the exact same level as when the you reset the trip? Probly not. Or did you actually just put in 26.34 gallons, or is that off too and it was actually 25.93 gallons.

I guess the truth is there are just too many variables and fudge factors to **** with the numbers.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
Which brings up another thought in my mind.

Everyone compares the evic to the “actual” mpg when hand calculating. BUT, in reality how actual is the hand calculation? Did you just fill the tank to the exact same level as when the you reset the trip? Probly not. Or did you actually just put in 26.34 gallons, or is that off too and it was actually 25.93 gallons.

I guess the truth is there are just too many variables and fudge factors to **** with the numbers.

Yep, way too many variables even with hand calculations to be dead nuts exact. I would probably not even keep records of my truck if it wasn't for tax reasons when I use the truck for farm use.

Although the aCar app makes it really easy to track. All you do is enter current mileage along with a few other things, and it gives you detailed statistics with graphs and charts that can be sent to Excel. It even automatically syncs with my Fuelly account.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yep, way too many variables even with hand calculations to be dead nuts exact. I would probably not even keep records of my truck if it wasn't for tax reasons when I use the truck for farm use.

Although the aCar app makes it really easy to track. All you do is enter current mileage along with a few other things, and it gives you detailed statistics with graphs and charts that can be sent to Excel. It even automatically syncs with my Fuelly account.

Yea those are pretty slick setups I think. Ive never used em though.