Tow/Haul turns off when key is turned off with RV plug in!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doc337

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
When towing my 5er, GVWR 16,450, every time I stop and shut off the engine the Tow/Haul will turn off, even with the RV plug still plugged in, but the exhaust brake will not. This makes no sense at all because the truck is monitoring the RV plug, you would think that once the T/H is turned on it would come back on until it is turned off or the RV plug is pulled. This would happen with my 14 3500 MegaCab and now with my 18 Dually.

And on another note, What idiot decided to put the T/H button where it is hard to reach, my 04 had it on the end of the gearshift lever!

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
The tow/haul always shuts off with the engine. All three of my Rams over the years did. The same happens with the cruise control, heated seats and steering wheel. The exhaust brake is another issue. It must stay on until manually shut off. The thing is that could be a safety feature. Taking off after shutting down the truck with no heated seats or steering wouldn't create a safety problem but if you are dependent on the exhaust brake and it isn't activated it could cause an accident. Just trying to make sense of it all.;)

NewBlackDak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
T/H has shut off with the vehicle in every vehicle make/model I’ve driven since the first time I saw the feature.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: SyN

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Same here. On all my Ram trucks that came equipped with the Tow/Haul mode feature it always turned off when the truck was shut down.

The exhaust brake on my 2017 is always on. The only selectable feature is whether you want it on "Full" or "Auto".

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Yep, a bit annoying that it shuts off. But, the location of the button is by far more annoying to me. I really got use to it in the end of the shift lever on my past Ford and Chevy trucks.

OP
OP
Doc337

Doc337

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
The truck can tell you that the RV plug came out but can not figure that you want to stay in T/H with the plug still in even with the tow package!

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
Ahhhh the things we can find to gripe about lol. Years from now somebody’s gonna be pissed cause their truck ain’t making their coffee hot enough and the automatic toenail clipper mode will only work with the vechicle not in gear. :party36:

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
I am with you on the dumb mfer that put the T/H switch in the center stack. Absolutely asinine. I figure the reason is when the rotary shifter came out they had no stalk, so they standardized the switch. I'd still like to spit some Beechnut in that dude's eye.

Black W900

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I can't deal with reaching over and pushing the button for T/H....It's just too much work for me and I can't stand that it shuts off when I shut the truck off, like every truck with T/H has always done.
I can't handle the pressure.

It never ceases to amaze me, the things that people complain about.:emotions122::emotions122:

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I can't deal with reaching over and pushing the button for T/H....It's just too much work for me and I can't stand that it shuts off when I shut the truck off, like every truck with T/H has always done.

It never ceases to amaze me, the things that people complain about.:emotions122::emotions122:

My beef with the T/H button is that I like to use it for engine braking when not towing and I have to take my eyes off the road to find and push the stupid button. On the end of the shifter was much easier. Honestly, the location doesn't really bother me while towing. I just have to find it once before I even start rolling.

tjfdesmo

Reaction score

I assume you are a young feller with good eyesight:D, as even with my glasses on it is not super easy to cipher those switches. As pointed out, why design something that forces you to take your eyes off the road, when it was traditionally in a place that was intuitive?

Black W900

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I assume you are a young feller with good eyesight:D, as even with my glasses on it is not super easy to cipher those switches. As pointed out, why design something that forces you to take your eyes off the road, when it was traditionally in a place that was intuitive?

You assume wrong, I am in my 60's.

Redheadhunter21

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
For the exhaust brake

Depends on the plug on your trailer, 4 or 5 pin not gonna work. 7 pin with brakes and it should stay in last position