Tow /haul understanding

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks everyone for the info. Is there a way to confirm I have the two wiring pigtails without removing the front panel.
On a side note it confuses me that on a truck with class 4 hitch trans cooler etc that it wouldn't be installed as a standard option?

The hitch often is part of several different packages, so it is easy to get the hitch without the controller.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
They changed tow/haul on the 2019's if it now disables 8th gear - it definitely does not disable 8th gear on my 2016 5.7 hemi.
Also on my 16 tow/haul does NOT disable MDS, the only way to disable it in the 16 is to use ERS.

I've noticed that on my '17 PW - tow/haul does NOT disable my 6th gear. Anything above 55mph and it goes into 6th unless I'm on a hill. I don't recall on the MDS.

Quint

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Big Horn 1500
Engine
5.7L v8 eTorque
Pacofortacos - thanks for writing that. I was pretty sure that my 2015 can shift into 8th gear while towing, but I usually need to be going slower or maybe downhill with a tailwind! It all depends on the load you're hauling.

To the OP. The Tow/Haul mode works great and really doesn't require any manual input, except in the situation described where you might want to downshift for a long downhill. The engine braking and auto-downshifting is nice under normal braking situations. This truck tows my boat like it's not even there, and I'm just running a 1500 with 3.23 gears.