Tow mode or not ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
2021 3500 with the HO engine and Aisin tranny. Fixing to start pulling a 5th wheel (13K dry weight). I think yow/haul is a given, but what about the exhaust brake, on all the time or only when going downhill on long grades?
I run EB 100% of the time. Empty, in town, on the road, pulling my trailer. I change between full and auto according to conditions. Probably in auto 95% of the time. Use full when driving local. Saves brake wear and tear.

Know that EB is more aggressive when in TH.

EDIT:
Note that your Aisin will not disable or drop a gear. TH, EB, or whatever setting you are set at the Aisin will always use all 6 gears. IMO a great tranny!

Last edited:

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2019 RAM 1500 Rebel 5.7l Hemi. Tow mode disables 8th gear for me and limits to 7th. Only ever use tow mode when towing so I don't know if it disables 8th when a trailer is not attached. I will try.
Hmmmmm, I dunno ref lockout of 8th, I also have a 19 DT Truck. My only thought would be tranny programmed different due to Rebel Trim, but I kinda think hmmmm on that. Gonna have to drive my truck with Tow Mode on to see if it locks out 8th, but honestly I think it does not, trans just not getting up to the shift point with the towing/weight. Empty, no towing in tow mode all gears should engage. ALL THIS IMHO... only ... I will post back tomorrow, 26 July on 8th gear, as I have to go to town ne way, not wanna make an extra trip just to check on a setting, hee hee, especially at the price of fuel.

OK: UPDATE: Ran around with Tow Haul on yesterday, 27 July. On MY 19 DT truck, 5.7L, no E junk, 3:21, Tow Haul does not Lock out my 8th gear. Bit since it does change shift points, you have to be going a lil faster and more level for 8th gear to kick in and stay there.

Last edited:

Dfleck65

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 TD
2021 3500 with the HO engine and Aisin tranny. Fixing to start pulling a 5th wheel (13K dry weight). I think yow/haul is a given, but what about the exhaust brake, on all the time or only when going downhill on long grades?
I too have 2021 3500 HO and 14.5k 5er and use tow/haul always when towing. The exhaust break is also always on auto. The mountains here in CO can wear brakes and using the exhaust break minimizes how often I have to even touch my breaks on descent.

Heading to Ridgeway on weds and love driving my RAM, makes mountain driving with a large RV enjoyable!

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I think yow/haul is a given, but what about the exhaust brake, on all the time or only when going downhill on long grades?
When towing use the exhaust brake all the time. The Full setting will "apply" the EB any time you let off the accelerator pedal. The Auto settings applies the EB when you use the vehicle brakes. If you use the cruise control with either EB mode, it will automatically apply to keep the truck at the set cruise speed. Work really well even if adjusting the speed on the fly using the buttons.
Only time it's probably not a good idea to use the EB is on snow/ice slick road conditions.

RoosterR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi,

I have a '22 3500 w/the aisin trans w/tow package. I pull a 12K 5th wheel.

Hauled my 5th on a 10 hour trip last week. Cannot decide if I should be using tow mode or not. It seems to rev about 500 rpm higher in tow mode but I don't see or feel much of a difference other than that.

My sales rep was non comitial.

I am heading off for a 11k mile trip in November..

Any thought ? Would appreciate input.

Thanks, ian.
I pull a 42 foot Fifth wheel 14,000 lbs. I always use tow haul and exhaust brake together. The tow haul changers the shift points and that’s why you are getting higher RPM’s.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This thread is somewhat confusing because it has comments related to the 1500, 2500, and 3500 (Aisin) transmissions. There are operational differences between them.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 3 June 2018. Now at 74797 miles

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
This thread is somewhat confusing because it has comments related to the 1500, 2500, and 3500 (Aisin) transmissions. There are operational differences between them.
True, it has wandered off subject here and there. But the OP is specific that it's an HO Cummins HD truck.

JayLeonard

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 L Cummins
I have the SO Cummins and tow a bumper pull of about 7k lbs. I have the exhaust brake on smart mode all the time when towing. That way I don’t have to think about it and reach for the switch if the situation gets hairy. Plus it keeps the truck from accelerating going down hill on the expressway.

Dannycameo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have an HO with the Aisin.
FYI - no gear is locked out while in tow haul.
I can only speak for the 8 speed, not the 6.
In Tow haul mode it will not go into 8th so that is true on the 8 speed anyway. Even going down a hill.
I have a 2022 power wagon, and I can tell you when I tow, in tow haul mode it will not go into 8th, if I take tow haul mode off, it will go into 8th. This is on flat Is prairie highway.
This is true of every vehicle I've had that's that's had a tow haul mode. Tow haul mode will keep it out of overdrive.
From grand Cherokees with the tow package, To ram trucks.

Last edited:

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD

IMHO towing 13K its a must to have exhaust brake on full all times truck is moving, when I'm not towing I put it on auto it allows you to to coast & it also helps slow down without using my brakes and its there when some fool stops suddenly in from of me...

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I have a 2022 power wagon, and I can tell you when I tow, in tow haul mode it will not go into 8th, if I take tow haul mode off, it will go into 8th. This is on flat Is prairie highway.
This is true of every vehicle I've had that's that's had a tow haul mode. Tow haul mode will keep it out of overdrive.
Both 7th & 8th in the ZF8 spds are overdrive gears.
Not all transmissions lock out the last gear with the Tow/Haul mode on, I've had my EcoDiesel go into 8th many times with Tow/Haul on.
It would be interesting to try running the 8HP75 in the HD trucks up to about 90-95 mph with the Tow/Haul mode on to see if it will shift to 8th.
Transmission controllers are smarts, they can hold out gears based on a probable torque range of the gear. It will calculate how much torque is conceivably available from a gear and doesn't allow an upshift until a threshold is met.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I have an HO with the Aisin.
FYI - no gear is locked out while in tow haul.
Just this past weekend pulling a solid 9K lbs trailer up a 3% grade behind a '22 CTD HO. In 6th gear about 7lbs of boost on the flat and it peaked about 25 psi on the way up 6th gear the whole way. The speedo dropped to 69 briefly(cruise set @ 70).

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
In Tow haul mode it will not go into 8th so that is true on the 8 speed anyway. Even going down a hill.
Interesting. My Eco 8 speed will run in the 8th gear while in TH.

KKBB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2019 2500 with the 6.4 hemi and mine will go into 8th with tow haul mode on. It has only done it twice, but it has done it. The first time it did, I was shocked. Had to double check that I was in tow haul mode...I was. I was going roughly 62-65 mph towing our 11k fifth wheel on a probably 2 or 3% downhill grade when it happened. I think it has to be absolutely perfect in order for it to happen. It downshifted back to 7th even before I hit perfectly flat ground.

N2MoPar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi,

I have a '22 3500 w/the aisin trans w/tow package. I pull a 12K 5th wheel.

Hauled my 5th on a 10 hour trip last week. Cannot decide if I should be using tow mode or not. It seems to rev about 500 rpm higher in tow mode but I don't see or feel much of a difference other than that.

My sales rep was non comitial.

I am heading off for a 11k mile trip in November..

Any thought ? Would appreciate input.

Thanks, ian.
Tow/Haul reprograms the trans to hold it in gear longer so it will use the engine's powerband closer to peak under load. And yes, the RPM will go up 500 or so depending on your load.
Also, on a 1500, if you are going downhill and are picking up speed, just tap the brakes and it will downshift 1 gear slowing you down without riding the brakes.
Not sure if it's the same in a 2500 or 3500 but I would think it is.

I use it whenever I'm pulling my travel trailer (about 4,840 lbs dry).
I don't recall it ever getting to 8th gear though. Could be wrong on that though.

Bearcatrp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
My 3500 will downshift if I tap on the brakes going down hill. I always use tow haul mode when towing.

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
My 2500 6.4 with the ZF8 will go in to 8th with T/H on. Even while towing an 8000# travel trailer.

KKBB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This isn't the greatest pic, but it shows tow/haul mode and it is in 8th. Happened a few different times yesterday when bringing our 5th wheel to the campsite.

Attachments

• 20220727_120751.jpg
    20220727_120751.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 12

KKBB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It doesn't show its in tow/haul unless you click on the pic above to see the full pic.