Towing a Travel Trailer Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gary Fields

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Seeing the size of the trailer and knowing how much gear/stuff is usually packed in it I can see you need a bigger truck. The tail is wagging the dog.

Norman Roach

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would say the purchase of a 2500 for the newer longer trailer would be a yes. The 27ft. trailer would have been fine with the 1500, you have a giant sail behind you now that the 1500 just doesn't have enough truck there to handle.

Norman Roach

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the same truck. I tow a car hauler 33 ft, 4400 lbs empty for my airplane 800 lbs. I do not tow faster than 60 mph. Side wind gust push the back of your truck around because the truck is not heavy enough. A tow behind trailer like yours must be hauled with a 350 or 3500 dually, with 8 or 10 ply tires pumped up to max. My truck came with CAR 4 ply tires. I am using 8 ply tires pumped up to max when towing. If you want to tow any distance get a 5 th wheel. Over 20 years I have hauled 5th wheels with F150, F250 diesel and now Ram 1500. Just some info for you.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Yes.

6.4L Hemi if you tow a lot / hills, diesel if otherwise. You don't want to spec your rig right up to the limit of the advertised capability. It's not very stable there.

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
Like was said, a 2500 Cummins will probably be over payload with that setup. The typical 2500 Cummins only has about 2100lbs or so of payload and with a 37' camper you will probably have at least 1300-1500lbs of payload. Add passengers, etc and you will be very close to limit. A 3500 Cummins would work.

Timsdually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I will be the one to say you need to sell both the truck and the trailer.
If you want something that long buy a fifth wheel and a HD truck to tow it with.
Bumper pulls sway.

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I will be the one to say you need to sell both the truck and the trailer.
If you want something that long buy a fifth wheel and a HD truck to tow it with.
Bumper pulls sway.

My 30' TT doesnt sway and is very stable in cross winds. I carry an atv in the back of the truck so a 5th wheel is out of the question. In my opinion its an old wives tail about swaying TT's and how much better a 5th wheel handles.

Timsdually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I used to have a 30' bumper pull and now have a 40' 5'er.
You get the extra space because it hangs over the bed. The pivot point being over your axle vs hanging off the back of the bumper makes for a more stable set up. Not "an old wives tail".

Retiring Don

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l
If your TT dry weight is 8500 lbs with a 1150 tongue weight, that’s your problem. Even with a WDH you are still maxing out your 1/2 ton truck. Talk to you WDH manufacturer about how to properly set it up since you have the self leveling system on the truck. For my Laramie 1500 with a Blue Ox SwayPro WDH I must turn the system off when I’m connecting up to my trailer, then once I’ve got the hitch connected to the tow ball, I raise everything with the hitch jack until the truck rear end is past level, then connect the sway bar chains. This wouldn’t solve you problem but might mitigate it somewhat.

Krashdragon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
a couple things.
1. your 1500 is just too small
2. 3500 gas would work
3. look at a semi tractor-trailer and then look at your trailer... notice where the rear axels are on the semi trailer and where the are on your trailer...
Ever follow a semi on a very windy day? Yes, that 53' trailer, even when empty weighs somewhere between 12000 to 1500 lbs... and it still sways. Your trailer has the axles almost in the middle of the trailer, no way will pulling it with a light truck keep it from swaying.
So 2 problems... a light truck and a poorly engineered trailer. The axles are almost in the center to lighten the hitch weight. Yes, can supposedly be pulled by a lighter vehicle, but it will sway because of the shorter wheelbase. Period.
But, I do pull a refrigerated trailer for a living. Empty tractor+trailer+full fuel tanks= 37600 lbs. Add 42000 lb cargo, just under 80000 lbs. Sliding the rear trailer axles even 6 inches backwards or forwards can shift the weight 150-300 lbs. And even that heavy, in wind, the trailer will sway. Hope this helps a little.

Steven Weed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So looking at it just from towing perspective, I tend to agree bigger is better .... but .... you don't tow a ton. A 3/4 ton is going to be taller, longer, a lot stiffer, and more money, not to mention the depreciation hit your going to take when you trade in your 1500. And if this is also your daily driver that also has to factor into the equation because you use it way more for commuting than towing.
It sounds like your main concern/complaint is sway when your going above 60. Before I'd spend the money on a new 3/4 ton I would give a serious look at the hitch, hitch setup and how the weight is distributed between the truck and trailer. At those weights it wouldn't take much to go from OK to scary. I would go through the setup/installation process again with the new trailer to make sure everything is correct with hitch angle, torsion bar angles etc, for the new trailer AND the new truck. If the dealer swapped the hitch components for you, don't assume they did it right. They may have assumed everything was good and just bolted stuff on, there's a good chance of that actually since the service department is usually under pressure to get it done as fast as possible so they're not holding up the sale. The hitch you have is a friction style sway control. If you've had it a while, the friction surfaces may have worn some and you may not getting as much sway control as you used to be when it was new. Also, you have air suspension, a friction style sway control depends on the angle of the hitch and the trailer to provide enough down pressure for the anti sway to work properly. The tongue weight of the trailer pushes on the hitch ball but its the angle of the hitch that affects the weight distribution AND sway control not the tongue weight. In your case, the air suspension may be working against you here by relieving some of that pressure when it corrects the ride height and changing the hitch angle (I am assuming the hitch was originally setup for a non-air suspension truck?) so you may need to adjust the hitch angle and/or torsion bar height to compensate. If adjusting your existing hitch doesn't help, you may also want to look at different hitch. I know that Hensley has one that they guarantee eliminates sway. I understand it's very expensive, bit its probably cheaper than trading in your one year old truck for a for a 3/4 ton. Even if you do end up buying a new truck later, the hitch will work with that too so its not like you'd be just throwing money out the window. I'm not sure how your relationship is with the RV dealer you bought the trailer from (I'm assuming you bought it new) but it wouldn't hurt to give them a call (or call a local dealer if you bought it private party) and explain the problem. They may have some suggestions that would help too. Most of these won't cost you anything, or very little, except some time. If you can get the towing experience back to a reasonable level of confidence for your 4 trips a year then at the very least it buys you some time to decide whether you need a bigger truck, smaller camper, bigger truck AND camper ... lol

FWIW

Tmcb2020

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cumins
About 1 year ago I made the hard decision between a 2500 and a 1500. It was hard because I was trying to balance towing capability vs daily driving.

I purchased a 2019 1500 5.7 eTourque with a 3.92 rear end. I ordered the tow mirrors, air suspension, etc. We have since upgraded from a 27’ camper to a 37.5’ camper - a Keystone Cougar that weighs around 8K lbs.

Here is my question. Should I have purchased the 2500? When I tow the camper on normal roads I am fine. The 5.7L has plenty of horsepower and torque. Highway driving is downright scary anytime I get over 60 mph. Or any semi passes me. I have a weight distribution hitch that has anti sway. Should I have purchased the 2500? Would that help?

View attachment 230969

View attachment 230970

OP
OP
Jonathan Rogers

Jonathan Rogers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I was towing a 33' Coleman 2855BH with my 2016 Ram 1500 with hemi and 3.21 gears. It did good on shorter, slower trips like back roads, but on the highway it was just too much. I had a BlueOx Swaypro, airbags, and e-rated tires on the truck.

This year I upgraded to a 2019 Ram 2500 with 6.4 and 3.73 gears. I towed that same camper on a 4,000 mile trip from New Hampshire to Badlands, SD and back. The truck can handle the weight without issue and there was plenty of power. While staying at the Badlands KOA I talked with a couple that run a Duramax with a 38' 5th wheel so we started talking about our trips (he is from CA). I explained that even with the sway control, it's still tough driving a bumper pull near the great lakes, through the White and Green Mountains in NH and VT. I asked if the 5W is really a difference and he said that is his first fifth wheel after coming from a travel trailer and the difference was night and day easier to tow a 5W.

Overall, I felt that the towing experience of trailers left quite a bit to be desired and my wife saw how much work it was to tow the travel trailer in the windy conditions. I didn't have issues with trucks passing, just the wind made the camper dance.

My wife was opposed to upgrading both the truck and then the camper at first but when I said I'm not doing anymore long trips, that sealed the deal because we like doing a destination trip every other year. We searched for months and chose our Cougar 30RLS. Like your trailer, it's "half-ton towable" and even says so on the front cap. Would I tow your trailer or my 5W with a half ton...NO. At a rest stop while fueling up a guy commented and asked if it is really half-ton towable and I told him honestly, no, it shouldn't be. Too much trailer for the truck and my 5W is only 34' long.

With that said, you have a phenomenal trailer, it's just going to be a bit of work to get everything set up. If I can offer one bit of advice; if you're looking for a used tow rig, and it's going to be a gas truck, the 8 speed is worth it behind the 6.4. If you want to future-proof, find a 3500 Cummins- the 2500 doesn't allow enough payload with a Cummins.

Best of luck, I imagine it'll be tough to watch that 1500 go.

Thanks for all that info. I am on the lookout for a Laramie the same color as mine as it matches the trailer. Yeah I do not know why it says "Half Ton" on it. No business being behind a half ton. We are definitely doing it.

OP
OP
Jonathan Rogers

Jonathan Rogers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
If your TT dry weight is 8500 lbs with a 1150 tongue weight, that’s your problem. Even with a WDH you are still maxing out your 1/2 ton truck. Talk to you WDH manufacturer about how to properly set it up since you have the self leveling system on the truck. For my Laramie 1500 with a Blue Ox SwayPro WDH I must turn the system off when I’m connecting up to my trailer, then once I’ve got the hitch connected to the tow ball, I raise everything with the hitch jack until the truck rear end is past level, then connect the sway bar chains. This wouldn’t solve you problem but might mitigate it somewhat.

That is exactly what I do. I learned to do this though. Nobody told me. If you don't place the system on "Tire Jack Mode" the suspension is compensating all over the place.

Randy Grant

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Even if 37 is the overall and not just the box, you are way over what would be considered safe for a Ram DT. And to make it worse, you have a soft suspension with the air ride.
ram-mobile-home-hero.jpg
You're not as bad as this guy, but close.
The weight is not the killer for you, but the length certainly is. Your choice to move up to at least a 2500 is a smart move, and will make towing much more enjoyable.

BigHornRam1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Hi,

I have a 2017 Dodge Ram 1500 crew cab 4x4 with the v6 and 3.21 gearing with tow package. I am looking at purchasing a trailer that has a dry weight of 4600 lbs. I figured that if I add another 1000-1400 lbs max in luggage water etc. That would put me at 5600-6000. I will be putting a WDH on and trailer brakes. I have heard the numbers on the truck are conservative and it will be fine. I don't want to be restricted on where I can go...mountains etc. Will this truck be able to safely handle it. I just bought the truck so a new truck is not an option. Thanks!

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Hi,

I have a 2017 Dodge Ram 1500 crew cab 4x4 with the v6 and 3.21 gearing with tow package. I am looking at purchasing a trailer that has a dry weight of 4600 lbs. I figured that if I add another 1000-1400 lbs max in luggage water etc. That would put me at 5600-6000. I will be putting a WDH on and trailer brakes. I have heard the numbers on the truck are conservative and it will be fine. I don't want to be restricted on where I can go...mountains etc. Will this truck be able to safely handle it. I just bought the truck so a new truck is not an option. Thanks!

Crew Cab 4x4 with a V6 and 3.21 is going to struggle hard with that trailer loaded up. If it has a dry weight of 4600 it’s required by law in all 50 states to have trailer brakes.

6460 looks like the max tow rating for that truck. Which means you are at ~93% of you ability to tow.

Look for a trailer that will keep you around 80% of that number. You need margin when towing.

2018 Ram 2500 6.4L 4x4
Amsoil SS 0W-40

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco Diesel
Hi,

I actually tow close to what you are looking at with my EcoD and it does just fine. My trailer, loaded, is right at 6000#. I do have the 3.92 gears and that helps. I also have the Tradesman and my cargo capacity is 1540# which may be more than your truck. You may be under powered in the mountains with that V-6. Just something to consider. Check your cargo capacity and get back to us for a better assessment.

Digger Dan 188

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 2500 HD Big Horn
Engine
Cummins 6.7 370HP
Your problem is NOT the truck!!! It is the camper!! If you have never seen or experienced a tail wagging the dog it will scare you senseless!! Been there done both without my family at risk. Thank the Lord!!
I am an OTR driver with thousands of miles in 36 states. I’ve stopped at a number of RV events towing mishaps to render aid. Causes for almost all were too much tail for the dog regardless of how the hitch is set up!!

IMHO anything over 31-32 ft should be a fifth wheel RV. Keep your truck and trade your travel trailer camper for a fifth wheel. I know it is not an easy decision for you or your family to consider trading your new RV. But yours and their well being may hang on that decision.
Do you have a relative or friend with a fifth wheel RV? If so ask to drive it. You’ll realize the difference immediately. No sway regardless of what passes you.
Be Careful out there be mainly BE SAFE !!