Towing Camping Trailer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doug Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco Diesel _3.0
Have a 2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn, 5.7 Hemi, 3.21 rear, 7100lb GVW, Class IV Receiver Hitch, 8 speed trans. Looking at a Grand Design camping trailer 29'10" length, Hitch weight 581, UVW 5857, GVRW 7850. Is my truck capable of safely towing this throughout the US? Want to possible pull out to AK. Concerned about wear and tear on truck. Have weight distribution system. Do I need anything else?
No.
More directly: Heck no. Not comfortably. Not really safe. Not for long distances.
Please note that all the ratings you cite are empty trailer, with the exception of the GVRW of 7850. Which is probably right at what your truck can tow with the 3.21 ratio gears. When fully loaded, with a weight distribution hitch, that 581 hitch weight will be at least half way to 1000 lbs. Maybe at 900 lbs. Your truck can probably carry, at most, 1500. That hitch, plus you, your stuff in the bed, and your family will take you over 1500 lbs. I'd bet serious money on it.

I've got a Grand Design Imagine XLS 18RBE pulled by a 3.0 EcoDiesel. It has better gear ratio of 3.9 which means its tow rating is 10,000+. The trailer weighs about 2/3 of what yours does. Thats as much as I'd want to pull/carry across country for a safe and comfortable ride. And I'm even considering stiffer shocks.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I drive a 2019 Ram 1500 LTD 5.7 3.92 axle 4X4 and pull a Imagine 2150 Trailer 28 ft long and an Andersen WDH. I have travel all over the Western USA, including Bryce Canyon Utah which is up at 8000 feet. I have enjoyed every minute of (I don't remember any White Knuckles while driving). I do recommend the Andersen WDH, it is a third of the weight of spring bar WDH's, easier to hook up, makes no noise, and you don't get dirty from grease. My Trailer specs are about the same as the ones you have. I have attached some pictures for your perusal. I am only speaking of my own experience and truck and trailer setup.

Drive Slow, You are pulling a sail.
I'll 2nd the Anderson hitch.

Scherm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
I agree with most of the comments. I towed our Mesa Ridge. TT 29’ for a yr with a Chevy 1500 Silverado 6.2
A standard WD hitch was worthless, moved on to an Anderson anti sway WD with adjustable chains which helped a lot but still far from a fun experience. Upgraded to a Ram 2500 Cummins and I don’t know it’s even there.
my tung weight is 1100 lbs, thats overweight for Chevy 1500. Not that the truck won’t pull it but you will wear out stuff (trainy, diffs, brakes) super fast. Ditch the stock tires too. You’ll want airbags to. Bottom line, go for it with the 1/2 ton for a year while your stashing cash away for a 3/4 ton diesel.
you‘ll love that setup.

Jane S

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I agree with most of the comments. I towed our Mesa Ridge. TT 29’ for a yr with a Chevy 1500 Silverado 6.2
A standard WD hitch was worthless, moved on to an Anderson anti sway WD with adjustable chains which helped a lot but still far from a fun experience. Upgraded to a Ram 2500 Cummins and I don’t know it’s even there.
my tung weight is 1100 lbs, thats overweight for Chevy 1500. Not that the truck won’t pull it but you will wear out stuff (trainy, diffs, brakes) super fast. Ditch the stock tires too. You’ll want airbags to. Bottom line, go for it with the 1/2 ton for a year while your stashing cash away for a 3/4 ton diesel.
you‘ll love that setup.
The reason is probably the way you drove it - too fast for the road.

Most people think the towing experience should be no differenct from when not towing.

StNick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 12V
There is one possible problem I see with this combination. First the good - having the load-leveling is a great idea since it will shift some of the axle weight to the front. Without it the front would feel very light and could result in driving problems. Your half ton setup should be ok since there are lots of people with SUV's towing similar setups. Just remember how long you are and allow extra turning room and extra stopping room. The one problem I see has to do with tongue/hitch weight. The normal recommendation is 10% to 15% of the total weight. As you are configured now, you are right at 10% but remember, as has been said, that weight is dry weight. When you add, say, 100 gallons of water (fresh, gray water, black water) plus whatever else you (and the wife) add to the trailer then you will be under the 10% rule. Tongue weight is very important as it can lead to more sway if it is too low. You may need to read up on how to measure tongue weight (there are hitch balls with built-in tongue weight scales). You may need to look into how you load the trailer and maybe spend some time at a truck scale. One important addition is a good brake controller that lets you apply the trailer brakes without using the truck brakes. Doing that is a good way to stop trailer sway.

Panduh

Reaction score
Engine
5.7 hemi
Just another set of stats FYI. I tow a 29 ft. toy hauler with my 2016 1500 and have never felt unstable or under powered. 18 wheelers pass me with no disturbance and I pass economy cars going up hills. Here's some specs:
Truck is 5.7L RWD with 3:92 axle and 8 speed, itself weighs only 5720 lbs.
TT is 2020 Forest River XLR, 6360 lbs fully loaded.
980 lbs. tongue weight
3080 lbs. on the front axle, 3620 on the rear when set up with TT
Husky Centerline WDH with integrated anti-sway, no air bags or suspension mods.
Prodigy brake controller.
About 9 mpg at 70 mph cruising speed.
There's a little porpoising over bumps and dips.
BTW, cheap Chinese rearview camera from Amazon is a godsend, even moreso while driving than backing up (you can see cars right behind you that no mirrors can see).

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Just another set of stats FYI. I tow a 29 ft. toy hauler with my 2016 1500 and have never felt unstable or under powered. 18 wheelers pass me with no disturbance and I pass economy cars going up hills. Here's some specs:
Truck is 5.7L RWD with 3:92 axle and 8 speed, itself weighs only 5720 lbs.
TT is 2020 Forest River XLR, 6360 lbs fully loaded.
980 lbs. tongue weight
3080 lbs. on the front axle, 3620 on the rear when set up with TT
Husky Centerline WDH with integrated anti-sway, no air bags or suspension mods.
Prodigy brake controller.
About 9 mpg at 70 mph cruising speed.
There's a little porpoising over bumps and dips.
BTW, cheap Chinese rearview camera from Amazon is a godsend, even moreso while driving than backing up (you can see cars right behind you that no mirrors can see).
That's a good set-up...except for the "About 9 mpg at 70 mph cruising speed" comment. 70 MPH is "burning up the asphalt" speed while towing anything...IMO, of course.

Tunaman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Have a 2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn, 5.7 Hemi, 3.21 rear, 7100lb GVW, Class IV Receiver Hitch, 8 speed trans. Looking at a Grand Design camping trailer 29'10" length, Hitch weight 581, UVW 5857, GVRW 7850. Is my truck capable of safely towing this throughout the US? Want to possible pull out to AK. Concerned about wear and tear on truck. Have weight distribution system. Do I need anything else?
Yes, in my opinion. I had a 2018, RAM, identical set up. Towed a Passport TT. 7100lbs. empty. About a ton loaded!! Had a load leveler hitch set up so the trailer sat level, truck dropped maybe a couple inches max! This it the trick..get that trailer level and truck just barely drop in rear, and I mean level is good drop not over an inch or two max. Properly adjusted trailer brakes....it will be fine!! Where people get in trouble is not properly set up. Now having said that it WILL sway in the wind and around other vehicles. Also fuel mileage will stink. I traded for a 3/4 ton truck and traded trailer for a 36' 5th wheel that weighs over 2000 lbs more. Hauled trailer 8 hrs to dealer with 3/4 ton, it still swayed. Hauled 5th wheel home, 1 MPG BETTER fuel mileage and absolutely zero sway!!! I couldn't believe it.

steveTS

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Ram 2500
Engine
cummins Diesel
I went thru the exact same thing. Started with a 21-foot grand design (7800 lbs pull along) with a Bighorn gas 1500. it worked great! then upgraded to 150 series 26 ft 5th wheel. I added airbags at a cost of $1,000.00. This allowed the truck to pull it, but the truck wasn't too happy. I was just below Max weight in nearly every category. Also, mileage went in the toilet. 13mpg down to 8-9!!! I traded in for a 2500 Tradesman with a Cummins engine. That did the trick! Then I traded up again to a Reflection 337RLS (nearly 12k lbs.) The truck is a beast but now my mileage is down to 10-11mpg. I'm well under max weights but as you can see there are growing pains... Get a diesel 2500! You won't regret it...

MMiller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I have a Grand Design Imagine 2800BH, which is just longer than the rig you’re talking about. No way would I want to tow it with a 1500. Like others have said, your 1500 could do the job, but it wouldn’t be a good experience. Especially if you’re talking cross country road trips. Our 2500 (6.4 Hemi) has pulled our camper over 9,000 miles all over the country and we’ve never had a problem with power, sway, etc… you’ll never regret upgrading to a 2500 for what you’re planning. Hope that helps.

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
I went thru the exact same thing. Started with a 21-foot grand design (7800 lbs pull along) with a Bighorn gas 1500. it worked great! then upgraded to 150 series 26 ft 5th wheel. I added airbags at a cost of $1,000.00. This allowed the truck to pull it, but the truck wasn't too happy. I was just below Max weight in nearly every category. Also, mileage went in the toilet. 13mpg down to 8-9!!! I traded in for a 2500 Tradesman with a Cummins engine. That did the trick! Then I traded up again to a Reflection 337RLS (nearly 12k lbs.) The truck is a beast but now my mileage is down to 10-11mpg. I'm well under max weights but as you can see there are growing pains... Get a diesel 2500! You won't regret it...

I guarantee you are way over your payload rating towing that 337RLS with a diesel 2500. It has 2200 lbs of pin weight unloaded. That's pretty much 100% of your payload before you put a single thing in that trailer, including propane and batteries, or a single person in the truck.

You do you though.

Lance1985

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter V8 HEMI MDS VVT eTorque
I pull a Lance trailer, 24 ft includes tongue length and weights around 6000 lbs depending on load. My 2019 RAM 1500 Quad Cab 4x2, 5.7 V8 Hemi, MDS VVT eTorque, has the optional Trailer Tow Group, 3.92 axle, Max Trailer Weight Rating of 11,500 lbs, and GCWR of 17,000 lbs. WDH with 600 lb bars and an Anti-Sway BAR (most Important)

I pull the trailer all summer from Colorado to the Pacific Coast, from the Mexican border to the Canadian border, Rocky and Sierra mountains, Mohave Desert 100 deg temps, elevations to 8000 ft with ascends and descends up to 7-degree grades. I rarely drive above 60 mph and get on average 11 mpg.

For my 2 cents worth, consider a smaller, lighter trailer or a bigger more powerful truck.

Last edited:

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited Loaded - Sold

El Huapo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4X4 Warlock 1500 Classic DS w/3.55 LSD
Engine
V6 flex
Forgive me for not reading all 8 pages before posting and maybe it's been already said, but I feel it's important to tell the OP about towing to Alaska: It's best to take the truck & trailer on the ferry, but expensive. If you're going to travel up the "AlCan Highway" go slowly and watch out for frost heaves. The winters in Canada break the roads and heave up, making big! speed bumps.
Lots of places you'll suddenly see skid marks on the other side and that's your warning: someone pulling a trailer too fast going the other direction got their trailer airborne by a frost heave, hit the brakes while the trailer launched and then skidded when it touched down. When you see that, SLOW DOWN.
Add to that the fact that the road workers will be out, fixing those things and sometimes it'll be soft dirt for a long ways, uphill and down, rough going.
Now there's lots of Canadian members here, if things have changed since I traveled that road in the '90's, I won't be offended if they correct me, and I wish the OP good luck since I didn't see that you have 4WD...

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
Forgive me for not reading all 8 pages before posting and maybe it's been already said, but I feel it's important to tell the OP about towing to Alaska: It's best to take the truck & trailer on the ferry, but expensive. If you're going to travel up the "AlCan Highway" go slowly and watch out for frost heaves. The winters in Canada break the roads and heave up, making big! speed bumps.
Lots of places you'll suddenly see skid marks on the other side and that's your warning: someone pulling a trailer too fast going the other direction got their trailer airborne by a frost heave, hit the brakes while the trailer launched and then skidded when it touched down. When you see that, SLOW DOWN.
Add to that the fact that the road workers will be out, fixing those things and sometimes it'll be soft dirt for a long ways, uphill and down, rough going.
Now there's lots of Canadian members here, if things have changed since I traveled that road in the '90's, I won't be offended if they correct me, and I wish the OP good luck since I didn't see that you have 4WD...
Note to self... do not take my ZL1 to Alaska :)

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
In case this has not been uploaded before. The highlighted one at the top is mine, but this chart gives an idea of what you're working with.

Attachments

• 2023_RAM_2500_3500_HD_TowChart.pdf
    314.3 KB · Views: 15

Jane S

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I guarantee you are way over your payload rating towing that 337RLS with a diesel 2500. It has 2200 lbs of pin weight unloaded. That's pretty much 100% of your payload before you put a single thing in that trailer, including propane and batteries, or a single person in the truck.

You do you though.

I give up!

Last edited:

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
I give up!
I saw your previous post before you edited. You should give up. Those numbers on google are all wrong. 10k GVWR, CTD 2500's come in around 7700-8200 lbs curb weight. Basic math here, but you subtract the curb weight from the GVWR and BOOM you have your payload capacity.

There isn't a CTD 2500 on this planet with a 3000+ lb payload capacity. Anywhere. Ever.

The 6.4 2500, yes, 2900-3200 payload depending on options.

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
I saw your previous post before you edited. You should give up. Those numbers on google are all wrong. 10k GVWR, CTD 2500's come in around 7700-8200 lbs curb weight. Basic math here, but you subtract the curb weight from the GVWR and BOOM you have your payload capacity.

There isn't a CTD 2500 on this planet with a 3000+ lb payload capacity. Anywhere. Ever.

The 6.4 2500, yes, 2900-3200 payload depending on options.
FYI, Tulecreeper payload is 3913 lbs in his 2500 6.4