Towing Horse Trailer...looking for a new truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

precisionmike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello All,

We currently have a 2014 1500 Ram and a 3 horse bumper pull. We are looking to upgrade to a 3-4 horse living quarters trailer (gooseneck) and need to upgrade the truck. I would like to stay at or below $20k. So far, it looks like we will end up with a 3rd gen. Looking to go diesel. Is there anything to be aware of or stay away from? Thanks in advance, Mike

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
Stay away from tuned trucks unless you know and trust the seller. '03 will have the best MPG of the common rail trucks, but may have the 47RE automatic. The 48RE was improved in '05, but the tow haul button became shift strategy only, and you lost the ability to lock out OD. '05 was also the first year for the thitd injection event, which reduced MPG. In '06 the tow haul button gained dual function, so you could lock out OD again, separate from TH. I had an '05 Cummins and wish I had kept it.