Towing Information

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dmullen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I just got a 2014 1500 Express Quad Cab, 3.92/8-spd/HEMI/trailer brakes/Class-IV and will be pulling a Rockwood 2560G PUP with the following specs...

Dry Hitch Weight - 249 lbs
Axle Weight - 2115 lbs
Unloaded Vehicle Weight - 2364 lbs
GVWR - 3230 lbs
Cargo Carrying Capacity - 866 lbs

I realize I am easily within towing limits for this truck but I am a newbie at this and would really appreciate someone walking me thru what I need to do as far as using the 8-speed transmission with the towing mode button and also how to use the built-in brake controller.

Thanks!

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
For that weight, throw it D and activate tow haul and leave it. Nothing special to be done.
To set up your TBC, assuming electric brakes, tie on the trailer, put a load in it to simulate a little weight and set your TBC to light electric- start with a gain of 5.0. Start moving up to 25mph then let off the throttle and manually squeeze the TBC. It should be set to the point of stopping but just below the point of locking up the trailer brakes. If they lock, reduce the gain and try again. Not much weight there compared to your truck though, so it might prove to be a little more difficult to tune them up :)

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
^ Great advice; I used the same method to set mine.
One word of caution; if you AND your GF/wife are new to towing, do this without her or it'll make her nervous. Trust me ;-)

Your truck will LAUGH at that load; like SOF said, 'D', tow/haul and you're loving camping life. Enjoy!

OP
OP
D

dmullen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
For that weight, throw it D and activate tow haul and leave it. Nothing special to be done.
To set up your TBC, assuming electric brakes, tie on the trailer, put a load in it to simulate a little weight and set your TBC to light electric- start with a gain of 5.0. Start moving up to 25mph then let off the throttle and manually squeeze the TBC. It should be set to the point of stopping but just below the point of locking up the trailer brakes. If they lock, reduce the gain and try again. Not much weight there compared to your truck though, so it might prove to be a little more difficult to tune them up :)

Thank you for the information.

The 5.0 gain seemed to work fine. Does that sound normal? So from the moment when I hook up the camper to the moment when I back it into a camp site I just leave the truck in D (or R) with the Tow/Haul turned on?

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Yup. If 5.0 seems to feel right (apply trailer brakes only while rolling will stop the truck) then leave it. My old Ford liked 5 as well. You may find you need to adjust this over time as well. I usually retest mine after I have loaded up and am leaving for each trip just to be sure and adjust on the fly if needed, which also allows you to test your trailer brakes before hitting the road too :)

As for the transmission- yes. D with tow/haul mode- saves your torque convertor by changing shift points and lockup times and more aggressive engine braking which saves your service and trailer brakes on grades. You won't do it any harm leaving it in tow/haul the whole time the trailer is in tow. I really don't think you will find a situation where you actually need to lock any gears out- that PUP is pretty light- but only seat time will tell you that. Throw it in D with tow haul and let the onboard systems do the work for you. The computers are way smarter and faster reacting than us. Let the machine do the work, you just enjoy the trip.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

dmullen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Thanks smurfs_of_war...I really appreciate the help.