Towing with 4.56 gears and 37's - Ram 1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CLOUDL1GHT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins HO
So thought I should put this out there for anyone thinking about doing the swap.

Today was the first time I was able to tow after getting the swap done and while it was only for a short distance, (15 mile break in) all I can say is wow.

Engine braking actually does something. It accelerates like the truck used to with 3.55's on stock tires with no load. On the highway it doesn't hunt for the right gear. It's amazing.

When accelerating and going up a hill I really don't know how to describe it other than it muscles it's way through. It's not like it used to be where it was all about getting higher RPM's to get to peak horsepower output. Truly is amazing to tow with proper gearing.

Why Ram doesn't offer at least a 4.10 for the 1500 is just plain stupid.

Trailer is a 16ft flatbed with two Can Am Outlander XT with the old 800R motors. They each easily weigh 800lbs dry. Not the heaviest load out there by any means but it's enough once you add the riding gear, toolbox, guns, ammo, etc.

sm10

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
That is great to know as I am thinking about going from 3.55 to 4.56 next week. I currently have 35s but want to go with 37s in the near future. Did you have to do any adjustments with the programming after swapping the gears? I spoke with a differential shop and they told me these newer Rams usually adjust to the gears on their own.

OP
OP
C

CLOUDL1GHT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins HO
That is great to know as I am thinking about going from 3.55 to 4.56 next week. I currently have 35s but want to go with 37s in the near future. Did you have to do any adjustments with the programming after swapping the gears? I spoke with a differential shop and they told me these newer Rams usually adjust to the gears on their own.

Shop told you correct. Just put the gears in and go. Do you have a 2wd?

sm10

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Shop told you correct. Just put the gears in and go. Do you have a 2wd?

Awesome! Yes, its a 2wd. This is the only time I'm glad its a 2wd since I read what a nightmare it is to change gears on the new 4wd Rams. I'm getting a whining noise coming from the rear so most likely going to need a rebuild and might as well swap in 4.56 while they're in there. Those gears should be fun until I find a good used Power Wagon.

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Gears.

Either you get it, or you just don't. And for guys with 3.21s, and think that there is little or no difference, they will simply never get it.

But if you're the type of a person that truly appreciates how to match up an engine's characteristics, transmission, tire size, and what type of driving/work your truck is going to do, to optimize the driving experience, you need the correct final gears. And for that person, every time you drive your truck, it is a joy.

I always say that I know a lot of guys that own handguns. But I know just a very few Pistoleros.

Lots of guys own motorcycles. Very few true motorcyclists.

I'm not one to judge, but you can tell a lot about a Ram owner by which rear end gears he has. There. I said it.

Steven2017Ram1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have 2017 Ram 1500 2wd and am having 7” lift and 37s put on. I am looking to do the 4.56 gear swap and am looking for more info. Did you have to just buy the ring and pinion or a bearing kit as well? How much did the swap cost?

Last edited: