Toyo Open Country R/T 35x12.50 R17 121Q 10PR

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smitty702

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Back in May or June of last year I had Toyo Open Country R/T 35x12.50 R17 121Q 10PR on Method Wheels put on my 2019 Cummins Laramie 4x4 MegaCab by my local truck shop.

I went to discount tire to have them rotated and the guy told me that they wouldn't do it because the tires do not meet the rating required by RAM for my truck (121 vs. 125)...

SO I went by the shop that put them on and he told me that they have to say that because they're a big corporation and are very strict about doing things by the book, but that those tires are more than capable for my truck and are not un-safe. Mainly because the 125 rating is based on the radial type tires that are normal vs. the 10 ply off-road tire I have now. (I should mention I don't do any heavy towing and rarely have any kind of serious weight in the bed).

So I'm looking for some advise either way. The tires seem fine, I haven't had any issues and I've driven them on long trips a couple of times. I feel like I would've seen a problem already if there was one.

In addition to that, any rec's for what pressure to run? my sensors alert at 60psi but I have the devise that can adjust the threshold if needed. I've been at 65 which seems pretty even but based on what I've been reading that might be too high.

Thanks for any help.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That sounds like big corporation BS. My truck didn’t have mud tires and yet my Texas tire which is a larger company here in Texas had no issues hooking me up. I hate Discount. My same tires but 20s are 40 psi I believe.

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
go to a scale, many truck stops have the CAT scales and weigh your truck and weigh front axle and rear axle separately. the R/T in 3512.5-17 is rated at 3195 lbs at 65psi. that means if at 65psi they can support 6390 lbs per axle. I bet a mega cab cummins is pretty heavy tho.
here is a Toyo guide to tell you what psi you can run but really need to weigh your truck to see what is safe.
https://www.toyotires.com/media/3729/application_of_load_inflation_tables_20200723.pdf

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That sounds like big corporation BS. My truck didn’t have mud tires and yet my Texas tire which is a larger company here in Texas had no issues hooking me up. I hate Discount. My same tires but 20s are 40 psi I believe.
I bet you are not in a megacab cummins which is going to be a heavy truck. My power wagon weighs over 7000lbs and I know he is going to be way (pun eh) over that especially on the front axle

OP
OP
smitty702

smitty702

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I guess a concern is that if something ever happened there could be an insurance issue if I don't have the "right" tires on it...

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
I guess a concern is that if something ever happened there could be an insurance issue if I don't have the "right" tires on it...

Doubtful....insurance companies taking that leap...

A load index rating of 121 means that one tire can carry 3297lbs. The 125 load index rating can carry 3683lbs. As far as whether it will carry the front axle weight with the Cummins, I'm pretty sure you would be fine.

ryanpaulaf1

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Sorry to jump in this threat, but been looking at tires a while now trying to narrow it down. I have a 2016 Power Wagon, currently with 285/75/17 tires and am trying to figure out if a Toyo R/T Trail in 315/70/17 would be sufficient for her even with a Load Range D2 and Load index 121? The numbers look safe to me. I don't tow nor go off-road. Thanks for any info guys.