TPMS Numbers Don’t Change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ACB8

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500 Big Horn w/ Cold Weather Package
Engine
Hemi 6.4
My 2016 2500 TPMS is showing the pressure for each tire but it doesn’t change and it’s incorrect. I’ve added and removed air and no changes. I drove for 30 miles and waited 20 plus minutes and no change. I checked the RF hub behind the back seat and there’s nothing obvious that is wrong. I used AlfaOBD to turn the system off and back on but no change. I’m tapped on ideas. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

OP
OP
ACB8

ACB8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
My 2016 2500 TPMS is showing the pressure for each tire but it doesn’t change and it’s incorrect. I’ve added and removed air and no changes. I drove for 30 miles and waited 20 plus minutes and no change. I checked the RF hub behind the back seat and there’s nothing obvious that is wrong. I used AlfaOBD to turn the system off and back on but no change. I’m tapped on ideas. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

OP
OP
ACB8

ACB8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Changed out the sensors yesterday. Nothing changed. Still shows the same pressures. So frustrating.

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Changed out the sensors yesterday. Nothing changed. Still shows the same pressures. So frustrating.
Are you the original owner? I ask because if it’s a new to you truck a previous owner may have made or added something to show a constant PSI in all tires to avoid the warning alerts.

OP
OP
ACB8

ACB8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I bought it in October and has been working correctly up until about a month ago.

OP
OP
ACB8

ACB8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Does anyone know how to test the TPMS module to see if it’s working correctly?

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Does anyone know how to test the TPMS module to see if it’s working correctly?
The only way I know is by using a tool designed to interact with a tire pressure sensor. The tools are readily available but will cost you a couple hundred for one of reasonable quality.

The TPMS has been working correctly until about a month ago.
Did the TPMS lamp flash or illuminate and stay on? This would indicate an issue with the system.
The new sensors, are they compatible with a 2016 RAM?
Are all your keyfob buttons working correctly?

It is highly unusual for all four tire sensors to quit working at the same time. Their lifetime is typically greater than 10 years. Something has changed.

It looks like the RF Hub may have failed but it should be able to say so through DTCs at the minimum. I would think the TPMS system would be squawking about not hearing any of the tire sensors. Have you scanned your vehicle for any DTCs? I read the TPMS section in the owner's manual but there isn't much information on system failure, nothing more than the TPMS light flashing at ignition on and then the TPMS lamp staying illuminated.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Have you tried adding 5+ lbs more air the Specs
Let sit a few minutes then lower PSI back to specs ?
Sometime that has to be done to help reset monitor
Please Update what you do find out ! Thanks

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Did you use a tool to reset the TPMS ? Curious

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Did you reprogram the sensors? You need a scan tool to do it.

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
Since I know nothing about window tint, can you explain this ? Thanks
I would imagine Frequencies (radio waves) associated with the TPMS are blocked by metallic particles that some window tints use.
Some frequencies that use higher bandwidths in the spectrum can be interrupted by atmospheric conditions like dust or smoke..
This is just from my experience using Ham and GMRS frequencies

Window tint is mentioned in your owners manual under TPMS

“Radio waves are part of the electromagnetic spectrum just like the light waves that we see. Light waves, radio waves and all of the other electromagnetic waves travel at the speed of light—about 300,000,000 meters per second!” NASA

It looks like most RAM Truck TPMS frequencies are 433MHZ but some Dakota’s are 315MHZ

Last edited:

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I would imagine Frequencies (radio waves) associated with the TPMS are blocked by metallic particles that some window tints use.
Some frequencies that use higher bandwidths in the spectrum can be interrupted by atmospheric conditions like dust or smoke..
This is just from my experience using Ham and GMRS frequencies

Window tint is mentioned in your owners manual under TPMS

“Radio waves are part of the electromagnetic spectrum just like the light waves that we see. Light waves, radio waves and all of the other electromagnetic waves travel at the speed of light—about 300,000,000 meters per second!” NASA

It looks like most RAM Truck TPMS frequencies are 433MHZ but some Dakota’s are 315MHZ
Makes sense! Thanks Mr Luck

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
Under RFHUB you can program the sensors but you need the 8 digit number off of each.

Screenshot_20240204_194626_AlfaOBD.jpg
Screenshot_20240204_194454_AlfaOBD.jpg

OP
OP
ACB8

ACB8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
When I connected to Alfa OBD it says I don’t have a TPMS module connected so I’m assuming my module is shot. It seems strange that I would still show numbers for tire pressure even though they never change.

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
Tell us what you have done to your truck since you have owned it.
It could be as simple as wheel replacement or window tint.
Maybe obvious isn’t the issue.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat