TPMS Numbers Don’t Change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hardracer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 1500 laramie 4x4 crew cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What does the module plug into?the bcm?
I have weird things happen once in awhile that I later found out it is all tied to the bcm ...horn randomly going off(I thought was recall done in the column),radio changing stations,2 master door switches half failed...all 3 of these were exact symptoms describe to a failing bcm(on the other forum I read)havent changed it though....just radio still acts up now and then.
Someone more knowledgeable about this please chime in....might be the OPs problem.
I seem to recall when I replaced all 4 sensors that there were 2 diff. mhz for the rams of diff.years when I ordered but don't quote me on that...I think the 433 is correct for his.
3 of my sensors were set and the 4th didn't read..the guy said drive it as he told you...I didnt get out the parking lot and it was working.learned I guess.my truck is older so I dont even know if it has any the same stuff(which it doesnt)as the newer models.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ACB8

ACB8

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500 Big Horn w/ Cold Weather Package
Engine
Hemi 6.4
What does the module plug into?the bcm?
I have weird things happen once in awhile that I later found out it is all tied to the bcm ...horn randomly going off(I thought was recall done in the column),radio changing stations,2 master door switches half failed...all 3 of these were exact symptoms describe to a failing bcm(on the other forum I read)havent changed it though....just radio still acts up now and then.
Someone more knowledgeable about this please chime in....might be the OPs problem.
I seem to recall when I replaced all 4 sensors that there were 2 diff. mhz for the rams of diff.years when I ordered but don't quote me on that...I think the 433 is correct for his.
3 of my sensors were set and the 4th didn't read..the guy said drive it as he told you...I didnt get out the parking lot and it was working.learned I guess.my truck is older so I dont even know if it has any the same stuff(which it doesnt)as the newer models.
All the reading I’ve done says the 2016 TPMS mod is on the ball wall behind the rear seats. This is the RF hub as well. One plug is for all the radio “stuff” and the other is an antenna type plug which is for the TPMS. I’d buy a new module if I knew the one I currently have was shot or failing as you can’t return electrical parts that have been used.

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
All the reading I’ve done says the 2016 TPMS mod is on the ball wall behind the rear seats. This is the RF hub as well. One plug is for all the radio “stuff” and the other is an antenna type plug which is for the TPMS. I’d buy a new module if I knew the one I currently have was shot or failing as you can’t return electrical parts that have been used.

IMG_3038.jpeg
RF hub is right behind that dome of the rear cab vent ( exhauster )

After this thread and “Taking on Water” Thread I’m in the process of inspecting and disassembly to access behind my trucks bench seat and modify the seat hook , still looking for an 18mm can’t believe I don’t have one .. lots of 17mm sockets but no 18’s

Last edited:

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
After reading all the things. I think it's your Hub and/or TPMS module.

If the Hub can't read one sensor or all of them, you would get a code.... Also you would not see any number.... As someone posted way back. You would get dash.... ---- as example.

I'm going guess it's 'working' which is why you are not getting codes, but it's also 'frozen' and not picking up new changes from the tires.

There is way to test what I said above, sort of. Jack up the truck. back of the truck as it's easiest if you have floor jack, take off one or two tires. The move them as far away as you can. Maybe even Tire shop could do this for you.

Turn on the truck with tires off and away. See if you still get the same numbers or if you get code or dash's.

If the Sensors were bad or wrong frequency you would get a code.

Another option, would be to unplug the Hub and TPMS module for about 30mins or so. Do both of them, not just one. (If it was me, I would unplug both, turn on the truck, force it cause a code(s) , then turn it off, plug one back in at time)

You could open the RF Hub, and check if it has water in it. That is a 'common' reason why people have issues. water is inside it.

You are correct, the RF Hub is on the back wall behind the seats.

TPMS Module should be under left side splash guard, or somewhere around there, connected to the frame. I forgot exact spot.
You will see the module, or cable connected to a 'plug'

EDIT : It is best practice to always disconnect the battery and discharge the system before you unplug or plug in any modules.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
If the Hub can't read one sensor or all of them, you would get a code.... Also you would not see any number.... As someone posted way back. You would get dash.... ---- as example.

I'm going guess it's 'working' which is why you are not getting codes, but it's also 'frozen' and not picking up new changes from the tires.

^ I believe the above statements are true...

If it wasn't reading the sensors you would get a fault. But if it is reading the sensors but cannot determine which one is which it will default to the last reading and stay there (what you are seeing).

This is why I suspect you have an interference issue (possibly the sound dampening). It's reading the sensors but because what it expects to see for signal strength has been dampened it can't determine which sensor is at what tire location.

OP
OP
ACB8

ACB8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4

View attachment 537102
RF hub is right behind that dome of the rear cab vent ( exhauster )

After this thread and “Taking on Water” Thread I’m in the process of inspecting and disassembly to access behind my trucks bench seat and modify the seat hook , still looking for an 18mm can’t believe I don’t have one .. lots of 17mm sockets but no 18’s
I saw that Rams are notorious for leaking behind the seat and luckily I dont have that issue. Not yet at least! I attached a picture of my current RF Hub Module so you can see the number. The next pic is what I found on line when I searched for TPMS module and it replaces my model number. The third is close up of the potential new one and it matches my RF hub module. So on my year, 2016, the TPMS module is part of the RF module, I guess. Wish I knew a way to confirm my TPMS Module is shot for sure. I'm really hesitant to buy a new one without knowing.

Attachments

• IMG_3333.jpeg
    IMG_3333.jpeg
    188.3 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_3354.jpeg
    IMG_3354.jpeg
    101.6 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_3355.jpeg
    IMG_3355.jpeg
    87.9 KB · Views: 8
OP
OP
ACB8

ACB8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4

There is way to test what I said above, sort of. Jack up the truck. back of the truck as it's easiest if you have floor jack, take off one or two tires. The move them as far away as you can. Maybe even Tire shop could do this for you.

Turn on the truck with tires off and away. See if you still get the same numbers or if you get code or dash's.

Another option, would be to unplug the Hub and TPMS module for about 30mins or so. Do both of them, not just one. (If it was me, I would unplug both, turn on the truck, force it cause a code(s) , then turn it off, plug one back in at time)

You could open the RF Hub, and check if it has water in it. That is a 'common' reason why people have issues. water is inside it.

TPMS Module should be under left side splash guard, or somewhere around there, connected to the frame. I forgot exact spot.

EDIT : It is best practice to always disconnect the battery and discharge the system before you unplug or plug in any modules.
Sorry I missed this. I'll get this try. Thank you

OP
OP
ACB8

ACB8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4

I pulled of the left fender guard and I don’t see a module. The closest thing I came to was a wiring harness see attached photo. I looked and looked but I don’t see a module. I’ve seen videos of this for a 2013 but not on a 2016. My truck is lifted so it’s easy to see around most things. If anyone can tell me where it’s at on a 2016 2500 I’d appreciate it.

Attachments

• IMG_3357.jpeg
    IMG_3357.jpeg
    96.1 KB · Views: 4

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
I saw that Rams are notorious for leaking behind the seat and luckily I dont have that issue. Not yet at least! I attached a picture of my current RF Hub Module so you can see the number. The next pic is what I found on line when I searched for TPMS module and it replaces my model number. The third is close up of the potential new one and it matches my RF hub module. So on my year, 2016, the TPMS module is part of the RF module, I guess. Wish I knew a way to confirm my TPMS Module is shot for sure. I'm really hesitant to buy a new one without knowing.
I RF is part of the module (combined)
would your key fob still work ?

I would buy one factory TPMS to have a known good TPMS to test myself before I’d shell out over 100 for a new module.

If your TPMS is the only part of the RF module that has spoiled besides taking the unit apart and inspecting it I would see if the connectors and the wires to it are not grounded loose or damaged in any way tracing them back to the next module or connector.

You’re probably going to need a schematic to follow. I’ll see what I can find because I’m going down that back seat rabbit hole soon enough.

Sometimes the only way to solve something is to be thorough.

It could be something obscure and seemingly unrelated like the your TPIM or bcm

I would not start throwing parts at it.

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
I pulled of the left fender guard and I don’t see a module. The closest thing I came to was a wiring harness see attached photo. I looked and looked but I don’t see a module. I’ve seen videos of this for a 2013 but not on a 2016. My truck is lifted so it’s easy to see around most things. If anyone can tell me where it’s at on a 2016 2500 I’d appreciate it.
I’m pretty sure its still by the rear window
you can go to https://www.moparpartsgiant.com and look up the part and see an expanded view st the same time check your own vehicle’s compatibility

I don’t know if you have an iPhone but there may be an Android or Google version of this App

OP
OP
ACB8

ACB8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4

I would buy one factory TPMS to have a known good TPMS to test myself before I’d shell out over 100 for a new module.

If your TPMS is the only part of the RF module that has spoiled besides taking the unit apart and inspecting it I would see if the connectors and the wires to it are not grounded loose or damaged in any way tracing them back to the next module or connector.

You’re probably going to need a schematic to follow. I’ll see what I can find because I’m going down that back seat rabbit hole soon enough.

I have four brand new TPMS and I had them retested and they are working with the correct frequency. I’ll take the RF module apart to see what I can find. Then I’ll trace to check connections. If you have a schematic I’d be super grateful if you’d share it. Thanks again.

Bigskyroadglide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, supercharged
Op

You might watch this. 2 suggestions. One it shows you how to turn off tpms. The 2nd it shows you how to reset the RF hub. Both are required to completely turn off tpms, however resetting the RF hub might actually solve your problem. Of course this assumes you have alfa obd.

The 2nd video shows you how to reset tire pressure on the 2500. Could this have been done before your ownership?

Last edited:

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
Is not this the RF hub identical to the ones you posted
IMG_3044.jpeg

Hardracer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 1500 laramie 4x4 crew cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7

I agree.
My TPIM also had to be replaced.right front headlight was the issue on that one,fried something in the TPIM...took me forever to track it down as im no electric guru when it comes to this stuff so i had to learn along the way(dealer also confirmed with the exact same tests i learned from youtubes...of course they did right..lol)...that was not a cheap item.
Hope you get this figured out.alot of good info here on this problem solving. Keep us posted

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yep that’s it. Except mine has another wire plug in on the side lower right.
I believe that additional plug on the lower right is the remote start antenna. At some point they integrated the antenna internally as my 2018 with remote start does not have the additional connection.

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
As I fell into the rabbit hole of CAN bus information I came across some relatively (to myself) new light on the functional algorithm which could be attributed to the loss of communication between modules.
But with a caveat, it is attached to a warning regarding a new type of vehicle security breach.

“One of the ways an ECU will diagnose a fault is if it doesn’t hear from another ECU it needs to talk to, and this is often done with a timeout: if a CAN message isn’t received regularly then after some time without hearing anything the listener assumes there’s a fault with the CAN bus or the other ECU. And sometimes it’s obvious the CAN bus has failed: if an ECU’s own messages are not sent, for example, or the CAN bus interface hardware says that communication has been lost.”

If there are not fault codes the problem lies elsewhere
and or you may need to look into damaged or tampered wiring not a new module

Last edited:

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I believe that additional plug on the lower right is the remote start antenna. At some point they integrated the antenna internally as my 2018 with remote start does not have the additional connection.

^Correct. The 16 still has a separate antenna for that function, that cable from the lower right runs over to a antenna module (TPMS antenna is still internal to the RF hub itself)

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Alfa reads when the key is in the run position so I know it has power. It’s seeing all the other modules except for the TPMS module.
But again I’m seeing conflicting info. Some people say the module is up in the fender well/frame and others are saying it’s behind the front seat.
Have you checked for power directly at the RF Hub connector?

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 105756 miles.

OP
OP
ACB8

ACB8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
As I fell into the rabbit hole of CAN bus information I came across some relatively (to myself) new light on the functional algorithm which could be attributed to the loss of communication between modules.
But with a caveat, it is attached to a warning regarding a new type of vehicle security breach.

“One of the ways an ECU will diagnose a fault is if it doesn’t hear from another ECU it needs to talk to, and this is often done with a timeout: if a CAN message isn’t received regularly then after some time without hearing anything the listener assumes there’s a fault with the CAN bus or the other ECU. And sometimes it’s obvious the CAN bus has failed: if an ECU’s own messages are not sent, for example, or the CAN bus interface hardware says that communication has been lost.”

If there are not fault codes the problem lies elsewhere
and or you may need to look into damaged or tampered wiring not a new module
I have no TPMS fault codes.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357